The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chi'ch
wow... not the kind of excuse i'd be happy with.. :s-smilie:

Yeah... I'd been waiting for 2 hours in the end, and was just about to go to bed when he came online. I was too annoyed to talk to him but spoke on IM.

I think I've forgiven him, he was really sorry, but I still feel kind of let down. I know it doesn't help anything to stay angry, so should I just let us move on?
Reply 6841
been with my girlfriend for 11months...we've now been seperated for 2months, but just 9 weeks to go until she can visit for 2 weeks. really hasn't been easy, pretty lonely when she's not online (8 hour time difference), but we still spend 3-4 hours a day talking...still the highlight of my days.
going to be 2 years of this...4-5 months apart then a few weeks together, but we both seem very committed (atleast I am), and the families are already hearing wedding bells hehe.

not really sure why im posting this...just reminding myself, only 9 weeks til i see her :biggrin:
Reply 6842
I miss him so much! I have been in NY for just over one month now and I won't see him until Christmas.
been 2 hours apart from my girlfriend for much of the year but it only seems to make us stronger :biggrin:
Met him through a friend on fb, then few months after talking constantly asked him if he'd mind coming down to Laaandan for my birthday :biggrin: Then ended up falling for him :colondollar: Been going strong for nearly 7 months now, 140 miles apart, seeing eachother roughly monthly but I wouldn't change it for the world. Love his family (minus his sister!) and friends, and he loves mine. Normally text throughout the day, then skype before bed :smile:

Didn't think I'd fall for my best friend, but so happy I did! It's not easy, but we can and will make it work :smile:
I've been in a long distance relationship now for just over 3 years, hoping I can make it to 5 as then we will be able to stay with each other without problems. Thing is, I am really lonely. I have lots of friends around me which makes it better, but how to fill that bloody void of loneliness? We talk on facebook chat and occasionally on skype... As winter sets in, as I grow older, as this relationship becomes more deep, I really just want him here. He is also my best friend...
Having been LD for about 2 months now and after my first visit to him this weekend thought I should actually start posting here rather than just being a background creeper.
He's in London, I'm in Wales so the journey isn't the easiest but was totally worth it.
Was hard to leave again but better to know he'll be here in 9 days.
We broke up prior to university doing what we thought at the time was the sensible thing and then got back together a month later after realising we were both miserable without each other.
I think we can make this work, a lot of people on here seem to be dealing amazingly with circumstances far more difficult than ours! :smile: Skype is a godsend.
Reply 6847
Original post by fivebyfivewhat
Having been LD for about 2 months now and after my first visit to him this weekend thought I should actually start posting here rather than just being a background creeper.
He's in London, I'm in Wales so the journey isn't the easiest but was totally worth it.
Was hard to leave again but better to know he'll be here in 9 days.
We broke up prior to university doing what we thought at the time was the sensible thing and then got back together a month later after realising we were both miserable without each other.
I think we can make this work, a lot of people on here seem to be dealing amazingly with circumstances far more difficult than ours! :smile: Skype is a godsend.

You can do it! :smile:

I actually think it's more difficult when you see each other more often and you have the option of hopping on a train for a weekend.

I'm 6000 miles away from my boyfriend and I've gotten used to not seeing him, and I have all the time in the world to go out and have fun with friends so I'm not too sad without him!

When I was back in the UK and I was two hours away from him, I missed him more because I saw him so much.
okay....here is a quick question:
do you guys believe that a LD relationship were one person is in Norway and the other in America could be too difficult to manage?
is that too far away?
:confused:
Reply 6849
Original post by donotpanic:P
do you guys believe that a LD relationship were one person is in Norway and the other in America could be too difficult to manage?
is that too far away?

Depends entirely on the couple - I know of a couple who were in America and England, met online and ended up married and living in England. Its completely possible, but whether you think it'll be too difficult is up to you.
Reply 6850
Original post by donotpanic:P
is that too far away?

I'm in a UK/Japan LDR at the moment. It's going really well so far, it's been 7 weeks and I'm still happy. :smile:

I think it depends on the time frame, I've chatted to other students on my foreign exchange program who are doing similar LDRs and most of them have agreed that because it's just a year it's possible. The main point we all agree on is that the time difference at that distance makes it so much more difficult!

Don't be put off if your heart's really in it, lots of couple do it for much longer and somehow survive!
I'm going to Finland tomorrow morning, for 6 weeks to work. At the moment, all I can think of is that I'm not going to see my girlfriend for that long and I keep getting all emotional about it. I know it's not really that long to be apart, and I'm sure I'll be ok once I get there, but in 3 years, this'll be the longest without seeing each other at all. I'm also going to miss both our birthdays and Christmas. Help, I'm sad :frown:
Original post by twelve
Depends entirely on the couple - I know of a couple who were in America and England, met online and ended up married and living in England. Its completely possible, but whether you think it'll be too difficult is up to you.

Original post by kat91s
I'm in a UK/Japan LDR at the moment. It's going really well so far, it's been 7 weeks and I'm still happy. :smile:

I think it depends on the time frame, I've chatted to other students on my foreign exchange program who are doing similar LDRs and most of them have agreed that because it's just a year it's possible. The main point we all agree on is that the time difference at that distance makes it so much more difficult!

Don't be put off if your heart's really in it, lots of couple do it for much longer and somehow survive!

hey thank you guys for your quick answer :smile:
but...somehow i just realised that my problem is a bit more advanced than the question i actually asked...so
i've decided to open a Thread with my "story" in it and i would be really glad if you had some sort of smart advice...since i am a bit stuck...:smile:
Original post by lizfairy
I've been in a long distance relationship now for just over 3 years, hoping I can make it to 5 as then we will be able to stay with each other without problems. Thing is, I am really lonely. I have lots of friends around me which makes it better, but how to fill that bloody void of loneliness? We talk on facebook chat and occasionally on skype... As winter sets in, as I grow older, as this relationship becomes more deep, I really just want him here. He is also my best friend...

I'm with you there. We've been together for 3.5 years and we're pretty serious and we'd happily live together... but it's going to be another 3.5 years until we can do so >.< I know I had to choose a university based on what was best for me, but it does bug me to think that if I'd chosen one in London he'd probably get a job there and we could be living together next year. I'm not sure there's a lot you can do about it except keep in contact as much as possible and plan for the future!
Original post by kat91s
You can do it! :smile:

I actually think it's more difficult when you see each other more often and you have the option of hopping on a train for a weekend.

I'm 6000 miles away from my boyfriend and I've gotten used to not seeing him, and I have all the time in the world to go out and have fun with friends so I'm not too sad without him!

When I was back in the UK and I was two hours away from him, I missed him more because I saw him so much.

I agree with this so much - apart from when you do see him and then get used to him being around, it's so much more painful when he leaves and you have to get used to being "alone" again, which is worse with the prospect of it being for a long time. At least when you're near you can say "oh I'll see him next week" when you're sad.
Original post by A SoapBubble

I'm going to Finland tomorrow morning, for 6 weeks to work. At the moment, all I can think of is that I'm not going to see my girlfriend for that long and I keep getting all emotional about it. I know it's not really that long to be apart, and I'm sure I'll be ok once I get there, but in 3 years, this'll be the longest without seeing each other at all. I'm also going to miss both our birthdays and Christmas. Help, I'm sad :frown:

Where abouts in Finland are you going? Sorry, no advice on the long distance thing, but 6 weeks will fly by!
Original post by w-shaw
Where abouts in Finland are you going? Sorry, no advice on the long distance thing, but 6 weeks will fly by!

Lapland. Saariselka, right up north.

Lapland. Saariselka, right up north.

Cool! I live in the south, near to Hki. Very jealous of you going up north, but I'm hoping to go there in March.

What you doing there?
i'm going to work as the elf team leader with esprit up until christmas
Original post by mirageous
I agree with this so much - apart from when you do see him and then get used to him being around, it's so much more painful when he leaves and you have to get used to being "alone" again, which is worse with the prospect of it being for a long time. At least when you're near you can say "oh I'll see him next week" when you're sad.

I totally agree. He was away a lot in the summer and when he went to Europe for a month it sucked, but it was worse when he went away for a week, then came back for a few days and then went away again.

Came home from a night out and just really needed a cuddle. His hoody just isn't quite cutting it at the moment. I think he'd had a bad night but I wasn't at home to talk to him about it... I'm sure I'll find out tomorrow and everything will be fine.

Latest

Trending

Trending