The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Finding University too easy

So I've started my course, doing English Literature (Sgl Honours) at Manchester Metropolitan. So far, I've been set a few bits of work, but whenever I (Or anyone else in my seminars) has done them, we've felt like idiots because we spend our seminars making up for the people who havn't done them, by doing the work in the seminar.

So I'm finding Uni really boring, and easy. People I'm in a flat with seem to be churning out portfolios already, and now I feel like I'm wasting my time here so far. Everything I've studied so far is like a simplified version of A levels.

Is it just me? Am I expecting too much? My first university was full on from the very first day, and by this time there I had done more work than I'm due to do for the rest of the year here.

Any thoughts/Anyone else?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:bumps:

Bumping this once then I'll leave it.
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 2
Well you should be getting a first degree then if you find it so easy, so why would you complain about that if you finsh your work you got more free time then alot of students have so just value it.
Reply 3
Original post by Hal E. Luya
So I've started my course, doing English Literature (Sgl Honours) at Manchester Metropolitan. So far, I've been set a few bits of work, but whenever I (Or anyone else in my seminars) has done them, we've felt like idiots because we spend our seminars making up for the people who havn't done them, by doing the work in the seminar.

So I'm finding Uni really boring, and easy. People I'm in a flat with seem to be churning out portfolios already, and now I feel like I'm wasting my time here so far. Everything I've studied so far is like a simplified version of A levels.

Is it just me? Am I expecting too much? My first university was full on from the very first day, and by this time there I had done more work than I'm due to do for the rest of the year here.

Any thoughts/Anyone else?

Where was it, and why aren't you there now?
Well, it is Man Met.. (jus' sayin..)
Not to start an argument, but what do you do on an English language/literature course? I mean you've already learned all the grammar from basic education through GCSE. What do they do other than ask you to write about a book/poem/insert other form of literature here etc?

(This is a serious question)
Reply 6
Dunno, have you got any marked assessments back yet? Maybe you're not doing enough independent reading?
I imagine the course would be tougher at real Manchester
Reply 8
Original post by v-zero
Where was it, and why aren't you there now?

I mention it on my profile, and you can find it if you see some of the threads I post in :P

ViralRiver
Not to start an argument, but what do you do on an English language/literature course? I mean you've already learned all the grammar from basic education through GCSE. What do they do other than ask you to write about a book/poem/insert other form of literature here etc?

It's a fair question. I mean I don't know how to go about answering that for you, I could take the philosophical, theoretical kind of route, or I could tell you the practical route. Neither of which I can, quite frankly, be arsed to do at 2am :smile:

All of that aside, I took English because I enjoy it. I'm at university for pleasure, not for a degree (I got a good job without one) and with any luck I'll be in the RAF coming out of uni. However, I like having a back up, and a degree would allow me to become a teacher. That said, I would love my novel to get published, and I had hoped an English degree would help me fine tune it.

I guess that's why I posted this, I feel like quite frankly, I'm not getting my moneys worth. I'm paying for this, I don't care really about degree quality (Although I'll push for a 1st) I want to broaden my horizons etc, and I wanted to know if anyone else was feeling like this or if it's just me/my course.
Reply 9
I mention it on my profile, and you can find it if you see some of the threads I post in :P

I think your profile explains it. You were good enough to get into Oxford, so you are obviously on the upper end of the intelligence scale, and I mean no offence to those who study at Manc Met, but in comparison to Oxford the level of course difficulty will be very much lower at Manc Met.

I know a fair few people with firsts from not dissimilar places, and I know that they simply wouldn't have got better than scraping an upper second at the more prestigious places.
Reply 10
Original post by v-zero
I think your profile explains it. You were good enough to get into Oxford, so you are obviously on the upper end of the intelligence scale, and I mean no offence to those who study at Manc Met, but in comparison to Oxford the level of course difficulty will be very much lower at Manc Met.

I know a fair few people with firsts from not dissimilar places, and I know that they simply wouldn't have got better than scraping an upper second at the more prestigious places.

Well I hoped that this wasn't the case, and that Universities were generally of a same level. I hope this doesn't turn out to be true, in any case I'm enjoying the social aspect of Uni, if only I could have my student loan at long last :P
Reply 11
I don't think the amount of facetime would be significantly better at any of the non-oxbridge russell group unis tbh. Maybe try get a p/t job if you're underoccupied?
Reply 12

It's a fair question. I mean I don't know how to go about answering that for you, I could take the philosophical, theoretical kind of route, or I could tell you the practical route. Neither of which I can, quite frankly, be arsed to do at 2am :smile:

I want to hear both. Genuinely, very interested to know :smile:
I feel bad for you bro. I know the feeling. Uni is quite strange.

Start a new project like a website or something? That'd fill up all the spare time and is something you can get quite passionate about.

Even lots of graduates from the highest ranked unis with the best degrees end up in the rat race teaching or something. If you start a website and it works out that'd possibly put you in a better position than a lot of these graduates. You just need to "work smart" with a website. Sure it can be something that interests you, but you've got to think about how it will make money so place your ads well etc. After a while, you could just leave it and it'd be a free source of significant income, giving you loads of spare time. Or you could continue to update it or start new sites and get even more money.
(edited 12 years ago)
That's what you get for choosing a awful course.
Reply 15
Well I hoped that this wasn't the case, and that Universities were generally of a same level. I hope this doesn't turn out to be true, in any case I'm enjoying the social aspect of Uni, if only I could have my student loan at long last :P

I dare say that the gulf in difficulty of courses from one University to another is often huge.
Perhaps you could challenge yourself by doing extra reading or something.
Reply 17
Original post by TheHyacinthGirl
Perhaps you could challenge yourself by doing extra reading or something.

I chose instead to get started on the work for year 2 :3
Reply 18
Isn't this a good thing? Means you'll get a first and will have tons of time to slack off.
Maybe after this do a masters/phd if you're that clever?
First year is supposed to be easy, it's to make sure everyone is on the same level e.g. people who didn't do A-level English Lit will be brought up to speed.

Second and third year is where it actually matters where you've got to step up to the mark.

I'm at MMU and finding stuff quite easy at the moment, scoring firsts in my essays, but I'm not getting complacent because I know this year is supposed to help you settle in and get used to the uni way of life.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest