The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Original post by dudeboy2
why do you think you'll get rejected by MS? I found it pretty hard too if that was the case

Yes - but I was quite stupid thinking to get it done well without any practice. It was maybe the third numerical test I've ever token and couldn't answer 4 quests. I even didn't think about guessing them lol. Hope that anyone from you will take my place :P.
Reply 401
Original post by jevira
Yes - but I was quite stupid thinking to get it done well without any practice. It was maybe the third numerical test I've ever token and couldn't answer 4 quests. I even didn't think about guessing them lol. Hope that anyone from you will take my place :P.

Yeah i ended up guessing 3 questions as well, probably only got around 15. Which i don't think is good enough. Although people did say it was hard, so lets hope we did ok. Good luck!
Reply 402
Original post by i_hate_teeth
I wasn't the only first year at the dinner, and believe me luck had nothing to do with it.

My first headhunt call was actually during my gap-year for a trip to one of those Urban Golf places, they didn't realise I hadn't been to university at that point though.. (Kind of a blow after they talked at me for 3 minutes and then I told them I hadn't got a degree and that the golf machines don't work that well).

Anyway my point is what kind of headhunter knowingly chooses for a first year to go to dinner? There is no money in it for them whatsoever. I'm assuming:

It was some half-headhunting company like the Bright Network or GradTouch where they try to get you on their books for FT applications and it wasn't just you but about 20 people.

You had to apply to go and they didn't just randomly choose you.

Or failing that you knew a relative or a friend who referred you in for fun OR you are just a genius and have somehow made a name for yourself in a disgustingly huge industry in which case I'd urge you to send me a PM and I'll take you out for dinner in a far nicer restaurant.
Reply 403
Original post by dudeboy2
Yeah i ended up guessing 3 questions as well, probably only got around 15. Which i don't think is good enough. Although people did say it was hard, so lets hope we did ok. Good luck!

Yes it would be cool if that was so. We'll see. Do you know when answers are going out from CS, DB, JPM, MS, BAML and Nomura?

Has anyone already done the UBS test?
Reply 404
Has anyone else been invited to do the RBS logical test? Or does everyone who applied automatically do it? Cheers
Original post by I'mSet
My first headhunt call was actually during my gap-year for a trip to one of those Urban Golf places, they didn't realise I hadn't been to university at that point though.. (Kind of a blow after they talked at me for 3 minutes and then I told them I hadn't got a degree and that the golf machines don't work that well).

Anyway my point is what kind of headhunter knowingly chooses for a first year to go to dinner? There is no money in it for them whatsoever. I'm assuming:

It was some half-headhunting company like the Bright Network or GradTouch where they try to get you on their books for FT applications and it wasn't just you but about 20 people.

You had to apply to go and they didn't just randomly choose you.

Or failing that you knew a relative or a friend who referred you in for fun OR you are just a genius and have somehow made a name for yourself in a disgustingly huge industry in which case I'd urge you to send me a PM and I'll take you out for dinner in a far nicer restaurant.

Indeed, there's absolutely no point whatsoever for any serious headhunting company to be dining with first year students looking to get spring internships. Such far-fetched attempts of self flattery is laughable. They would not be getting anything from it. Heck it wouldn't even make sense for them to be doing it for last year students looking to get a grad job. Firms would not pay headhunters for placing individuals in such overly subscribed jobs, they're already having to reject so many top applicants.

You forgot one last possibility on your list, that it's bull****.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DeBoris
Is anyone on here applying for Big 4, ICAP first year programs?

Only KPMG do programs for First years unless you include the insight academy at E&Y and PWC
just got back from a MS event...seems like a good fit for me. Does anybody want to guess how many business cards i got?

Dude, what's up with you? You've posted on here previously that you didn't even want to go into IB, now all of a sudden you're being headhunted and networking like a pro.
Do any of these spring week applications require academic references?
Do any of these spring week applications require academic references?

You're better off asking your devoted headhunters. I honestly don't know why you constantly ask questions on a student forum when you could ask them. I think it's time to make best use of all those business cards :yy:
Original post by Marc Fiorano
You're better off asking your devoted headhunters. I honestly don't know why you constantly ask questions on a student forum when you could ask them. I think it's time to make best use of all those business cards :yy:

We're both applying for spring weeks, it really doesn't make sense for you to be so aggressive towards me. I'm just asking a question. Calm down.
We're both applying for spring weeks, it really doesn't make sense for you to be so aggressive towards me. I'm just asking a question. Calm down.

Aggressive? That was sarcastic, not aggressive. If you think that was aggressive you're in for a big surprise at an internship, you'd probably call it psychological abuse.
Did everyone who applied to MS get an email saying we would hear back in early Dec? Can't believe they're having interviews so early : o
I haven't been keeping up with financial news eek!!
Reply 413
Yes, I got an email too.

What sites do you recommend for staying updated with financial news? What is early Dec.? Up to 15th? Lol.
Reply 414
I thought they hold all their ACs after January. At least that was the case last year I think.
Original post by jevira
Yes, I got an email too.

What sites do you recommend for staying updated with financial news? What is early Dec.? Up to 15th? Lol.

Well the obvious one is the FT for general news but they recommended you keep up with a specific market/product to show you've been following something over a period of time. I'm guessing it will be between the 1st and 15th December too :biggrin:
Original post by woods.vanessa
Did everyone who applied to MS get an email saying we would hear back in early Dec? Can't believe they're having interviews so early : o
I haven't been keeping up with financial news eek!!

Are MS doing that as well? I spoke to a few Credit Suisse campus recruiters the other day and they told me they recruit in 2 cycles, one at December and one after the deadline.

My Uni has free copies of FT papers on campus which is really good. You could read City AM or there are loads of apps that provide news in short conisice fashion. However i dont think it will be too technical, just competency and maybe a few questions regarding the division you applied for (Is MS Spring week divisional?)
I was this close to getting the head of European Investment banking at barcap's card but a fagg from lse ****ed it up for me. On the other hand a director in trading told me that he wants to have coffee with me :colondollar:.
Original post by AndersonsBentFoot
Are MS doing that as well? I spoke to a few Credit Suisse campus recruiters the other day and they told me they recruit in 2 cycles, one at December and one after the deadline.

My Uni has free copies of FT papers on campus which is really good. You could read City AM or there are loads of apps that provide news in short conisice fashion. However i dont think it will be too technical, just competency and maybe a few questions regarding the division you applied for (Is MS Spring week divisional?)

No the MS Spring week is not divisional which is why it's good I think!
Original post by woods.vanessa
No the MS Spring week is not divisional which is why it's good I think!

Yeh, then if i was you i'd focus on knowing your CV inside out, prepare answers for Why IB and prepare a few examples for competency questions