The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3240
Original post by carlos the third
Congratulations! Did you apply for the three year course (just wondering why we got different offers)

Yeah the three year course! Congratulations to you too :smile:
Urm, do you do further maths?
Reply 3241
Offer from Loughborough AA :biggrin:
Original post by derangedyoshi
I'm so jealous, I need more maths in my timetable! bearing in mind my helping out in an s3 class and all the maths I do in my free periods I probably have more maths than anyone else in my school, but still... one can never have enough maths :P I think I bemuse my friends with my love of maths. :L

I spend the most time in the maths department out of any pupil in my school. I have 9 periods of Pure maths, 6 periods of stats, 1 period of maths assistant in a S1 class, 1 period of maths assistant in a S4 class and 1 period of PSE in the maths department too. So that's 18/40 periods spent in the maths department.

I had my maths assistant periods today. I taught my 1st year class how to multiply 3 digit by 4 digit numbers (well started off with 2 x 2) and they are 5th set and they managed to do it! I learnt this super cool method of long multiplication (it's a modified napiers bones method) when I was little so I asked the teacher if I could teach them it. They loved it. I was so proud of them! Really felt a sense of achievement.

That's the method (basically) << however said person in video did it rather slow. It can be great for multiplying large numbers fast (without a calculator).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3243
nottingham MMath offer today! i think they dished out a fair few today :smile: AAA/A*AB
Original post by laughylolly
I spend the most time in the maths department out of any pupil in my school. I have 9 periods of Pure maths, 6 periods of stats, 1 period of maths assistant in a S1 class, 1 period of maths assistant in a S4 class and 1 period of PSE in the maths department too. So that's 18/40 periods spent in the maths department.

I had my maths assistant periods today. I taught my 1st year class how to multiply 3 digit by 4 digit numbers (well started off with 2 x 2) and they are 5th set and they managed to do it! I learnt this super cool method of long multiplication (it's a modified napiers bones method) when I was little so I asked the teacher if I could teach them it. They loved it. I was so proud of them! Really felt a sense of achievement.

That's the method (basically) &lt;&lt; however said person in video did it rather slow. It can be great for multiplying large numbers fast (without a calculator).

Oh cool. My third years were looking at volumes of shapes on Monday and I was quite impressed with them getting a few of the more difficult questions... it's frustrating that some of them do really well when they actually concentrate, but they just never do.

And 18 periods out of 40?! how long are your periods by the way, I'm impressed that you have 9 periods of pure maths. We only have 5 - double on a Friday (<3) and no maths on a Thursday (</3).
Original post by Rahul.S
yh my sig is sexy :sexface:

umm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcHahe3smaI this is quite good stuff :colone:

Looool i like the bit at the end about wiley. Hmm looks good, gonna have to get in contact with my man jammer to secure this girl.
So many people getting offers. :frown:
Original post by Edwin Okli

you've got one though :L

i don't have a single official offer yet. thanks for feeling the need to share that with me!
Original post by Jampolo
Looool i like the bit at the end about wiley. Hmm looks good, gonna have to get in contact with my man jammer to secure this girl.

indeed :biggrin: you preparing for interview? :colone:
Original post by Liyanajamain
im applying for maths and economics at UCL. i hear they are inviting applicants for an open day friday next week. sent in my application just over 3 weeks ago. does anyone know if theyve stopped inviting to come on the 25th and will invite those who applied later on a different date?

I was invited on the 25th, however my friend was invited on the 23rd. They're inviting on wednesdays and fridays for quite a while as people are still applying for their maths courses.
Original post by ms93
Yeah the three year course! Congratulations to you too :smile:
Urm, do you do further maths?

Thanks, yep i do do further maths although I applied to the 4 year course
Reply 3252
Hi I was just wondering has anyone been invited to a visiting day on the 23rd of novemeber for maths with statistics at Manchester ?
Also how the interviews are like on the visiting day ?

Offer from st andrews!!!!!! Omg!!!!!!!!!
Original post by Ultimate1992

Wow, congrats!!! What grades? GCSES? Alevels? Predicted?
Original post by theseeker
Wow, congrats!!! What grades? GCSES? Alevels? Predicted?

didn't do gcses, I am an international applicant, in fact, I am re-applying this year, so wasn't really expecting the offer!!!! I got A*AACC for Alevels, retaking one of the Cs. Offer is AAA :smile:)
Original post by derangedyoshi
Oh cool. My third years were looking at volumes of shapes on Monday and I was quite impressed with them getting a few of the more difficult questions... it's frustrating that some of them do really well when they actually concentrate, but they just never do.

And 18 periods out of 40?! how long are your periods by the way, I'm impressed that you have 9 periods of pure maths. We only have 5 - double on a Friday (<3) and no maths on a Thursday (</3).

My 4th years are a lot like that. There's one girl who is really smart I think and gets a lot done but is easily distracted. I also don't think she thinks that it's 'cool' to be good a maths, if you get me.

Yeah, our periods are 40 minutes long. Most lessons I have a double periods. At my school basically every AH has like 9 periods (except for Stats/mechanics if you also take pure) and then Bio/Phys/Chem you have to have 8 lecture/teaching periods and 2 study/investigation periods.

Original post by Ultimate1992

Congrats!! I've applied there too. Hopefully will get an unconditional. Will just have to see!

The email I got from St Andrews about a month ago said that they wouldn't be giving out offers till after the Jan 15th deadline though "/ maybe it's different for internationals?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3257
Original post by JoshC.
Had two more offers in the past couple of days! :biggrin:

Bath; A (in Further Maths), B and 2 in STEP.
Southampton, AAB :tongue:

Well, there's my back-ups sorted! :smile:

Can i ask when you applied to do Maths at Southampton and what are your predicted grades etc?
Is it for the G100 course?
Reply 3258
Original post by carlos the third
Thanks, yep i do do further maths although I applied to the 4 year course

Oh, that could be why :smile:
Original post by Chiraga
Hi I was just wondering has anyone been invited to a visiting day on the 23rd of novemeber for maths with statistics at Manchester ?
Also how the interviews are like on the visiting day ?

I had that interview last week for the Mathematics and Statistics one :smile: it was a very relaxed interview and they didn't ask me anything too hard! but some people had to answer some maths questions! They don't tend you make it a hard interview

Latest