The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jaime1986
Definitely! I can get a clear vision of what I want to do with the class pretty quickly, but it's creating the differentiated worksheets, and the detailed learning outcomes for all levels as well as the PowerPoint etc that is taking too long. If I can't cut the time it takes in a few weeks, then I have no idea how I will plan all of my lessons :frown:

The honest answer is that real teachers don't teach like they do on teaching practice! There's no time and the kids don't need all those flashes and bangs - sometimes they get in the way. Play the game while you're doing the course and then do what the rest of us do on bad days - doorknob lessons. That means lessons you make up as you turn the doorknob to enter the classroom! They are often the best ones, too!
Reply 541
Original post by Rainy

On the plus side, I can't wait to see Year 7's faces when I cut up a teddy bear with scissors on Weds morning.

Y U do this?!
Reply 542
Original post by Becca
Y U do this?!
Gratuitous violence mid-role play to symbolise William the Conqueror's [as played by Yours Truly] 'Harrying of the North'. It's going to be beautiful... there won't be a dry eye in the house!
Reply 543
Original post by Rainy
Gratuitous violence mid-role play to symbolise William the Conqueror's [as played by Yours Truly] 'Harrying of the North'. It's going to be beautiful... there won't be a dry eye in the house!

LOL! My mum was a History teacher (actually qualified as Geography but spent about 10 years only doing History, she's now a SENCO) and she used to do the William the Conqueror topic in French! Made the kids speak French too (they had a cheat sheet but still!).
Original post by *Sparkle*
I meant to pos that to wish you luck. Sorry!!!

Good luck!!

Thanks, they're not until january though so I've got plenty of time to practice.
Ah, Tuesdays never fail to disappoint. Always bad :frown:
Original post by noodles!
Ah, Tuesdays never fail to disappoint. Always bad :frown:

Awh :frown:

My tuesdays are always bad because I have 3 lessons. 3 entire lessons to plan for...

I am feeling good though because I finally cracked my difficult y9 group today :biggrin:
Original post by Suzanathema
Awh :frown:

My tuesdays are always bad because I have 3 lessons. 3 entire lessons to plan for...

I am feeling good though because I finally cracked my difficult y9 group today :biggrin:

Any tips? It was my year 9s that caused the problem, I've all but given up on them now but I need to go back in with some resolve next week (and probably put the majority of them in detention to scare them haha)
Original post by Rainy

So how did the teddy bear violence go down? I'm intrigued...
Any tips? It was my year 9s that caused the problem, I've all but given up on them now but I need to go back in with some resolve next week (and probably put the majority of them in detention to scare them haha)

Groupwork with the groups selected at random, so they weren't with friends (I let them sit in friend groups then counted 1,2,3,4 and got all the 1s in one corner, all 2s in another) then just planned loads of instruction sheets so I didn't have to shout over them and lots of exercises for them, showed some example videos, then went around the groups to keep them on task. I was kind of shocked that it all worked out :p:
Reply 550
Original post by Suzanathema
Groupwork with the groups selected at random, so they weren't with friends (I let them sit in friend groups then counted 1,2,3,4 and got all the 1s in one corner, all 2s in another) then just planned loads of instruction sheets so I didn't have to shout over them and lots of exercises for them, showed some example videos, then went around the groups to keep them on task. I was kind of shocked that it all worked out :p:

Instruction sheets are a really good idea for classes you find hard to get quiet to give them instructions. If you're lucky and have an assistant I can recommend carousel lessons for those types of groups.
Reply 551
So how did the teddy bear violence go down? I'm intrigued...
Beautifully! The looks of shock and horror on their faces were well worth it. I stopped short of actually cutting the teddy - it was mine after all!

http://www.thinkinghistory.co.uk/ActivityBase/JeSuisleRoi.html - the premise of the lesson, if anyone's interested.
Reply 552
Original post by Rainy
Beautifully! The looks of shock and horror on their faces were well worth it. I stopped short of actually cutting the teddy - it was mine after all!

http://www.thinkinghistory.co.uk/ActivityBase/JeSuisleRoi.html - the premise of the lesson, if anyone's interested.

Did you do it in French?
Now you have revealed my mum's secret source all these years! :p:
Reached breaking point today. Ended up crying about five times. :/

Really not sure this is this right for me. :/
Reply 554
Original post by affinity89

What happened? I can definitely sympathise and was in exactly the same place in terms of considering quitting at about the same time in my training year so don't rush into any quick decisions because of one bad day.

what happened?
Reply 556
Original post by Becca
Did you do it in French?
Now you have revealed my mum's secret source all these years! :p:
Of course! There's a good TA with that group who acted as the translator - all scripted.

Ian Dawson's quality. Any prospective History PGCEers looking in should look him up for some ideas.

Since none of us knows the circumstances you're in, we can't say if you're right or not, but I can say with absolute cast iron, copper-bottomed certainty that there isn't a PGCE student in the country who hasn't felt this at some point, and any teacher who claims not to have been there is lying. It's a hugely stressful job and we all get to breaking point sometimes. I've been teaching for 28 years and I now work in a school where the kids are as soft as butter, but even now I can recall the agony of some of my early lessons. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof - start again tomorrow. Don't dwell on it; chances are the kids won't.

:hugs: Things will get better.

I seem to be trapped in this cycle where I panic about planning and have a little cry and stay up late to do it and think so hard about quitting then I have a really good day and everything's fine, until the evening when I am up late planning thinking about how awful the lessons will be.

... I'm still awake now, planning :frown:
Got a terrible feeling about today... I hate having lessons back to back in different rooms for a start, then there's the fact that it's largely me presenting stuff to one class, and they didn't listen last week so if they do it again this week I'm screwed (well, actually, they are because I'm setting them a test on the prepositions next week regardless)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending