Scroll to see replies

The Hunger Games trailer loooks excitingg:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reminds me of Battle Royale.
Original post by sheep_go_baa

Definitely can't wait for this film! :biggrin:
Original post by sheep_go_baa

looks awesome. Now to finish actually reading the books..
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Reminds me of Battle Royale.

Yeah, I got a strong vibe of that too. Still, it looks pretty promising for a "young adult" film.
Reply 4805
I watched Léon for the first time today. Gary Oldman ftw.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4806
So is it safe to say that Meryl Streep has already bagged the Best Actress Oscar for The Iron Lady? Apparently she absolutely smashes it.
Reply 4807
Sacha Baron Cohen lands role in Django Unchained :erm:

Original post by aja89
So is it safe to say that Meryl Streep has already bagged the Best Actress Oscar for The Iron Lady? Apparently she absolutely smashes it.

Really? I haven't heard anything about it. I wouldn't be surprised, though. :yep:
Original post by aja89

Original post by aja89

My money is on Glenn Close or Viola Davis.
Reply 4809
Original post by Phalanges
My money is on Glenn Close or Viola Davis.

Glenn Close? For Albert Nobbs? I've been looking forward to that.
Reply 4810
Original post by aja89

:ditto:

Anyway, my original plan was to watch a movie for the first time in ages today, but I find that I'm tired and should probably get to bed. Tomorrow, though. :colondollar:
Reply 4811
Original post by aja89

Don't get your hopes up it's really not great.

It's a shame really because Close has been trying to get it made for years and there is a lot to admire in her performance, but since it'll get little to no exposure, Close's chance of getting an Oscar= zero.
Original post by Pi!
I watched Léon for the first time today. Gary Oldman ftw.

Gary Oldman is indeed brilliant in it!
Reply 4813

Looks intriguing, and potentially brilliant. :beard:
Original post by Evil_Ed

Original post by Evil_Ed
since it'll get little to no exposure, Close's chance of getting an Oscar= zero.

I don't really see why you believe that. The list of Oscar winners are littered with films that nobody had heard of until they started advertising and got nominated. Given the Academy's penchant for rewarding people whose "time" it is and bearing in mind that Close has been nominated four times and never won and is playing a pretty standard triumphing through adversity character, I could see it easily working up quite a bit of momentum.
Original post by Abiraleft

Looks intriguing, and potentially brilliant. :beard:

Just been watching that yesterday, s'alright, interesting story to it and good acting. It's like the kinda less depressing Melancholia, worth a watch.

I'm interested in finding out a bit more about Chronicle, still want a sequel to Cloverfield though...
Reply 4816
I don't really see why you believe that. The list of Oscar winners are littered with films that nobody had heard of until they started advertising and got nominated. Given the Academy's penchant for rewarding people whose "time" it is and bearing in mind that Close has been nominated four times and never won and is playing a pretty standard triumphing through adversity character, I could see it easily working up quite a bit of momentum.

I don't think it'll work up much momentum. It'll be one of those movies with a bit of initial buzz, like Jarhead, that will be forgotten by Oscar time.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think it will get much exposure because it isn't good enough to be a cross-over hit. That's probably why none of the majors wanted it even as a negative pick-up. Even Miramax in their heyday wouldn't be able to sell it to the mainstream.

Incidentally, it's hardly a 'triumph through adversity' film that, I agree, the Academy loves. Far from it. Have you seen it yet?

:coma:
Original post by Evil_Ed

Original post by Evil_Ed
I don't think it'll work up much momentum. It'll be one of those movies with a bit of initial buzz, like Jarhead, that will be forgotten by Oscar time.

I think completely the opposite. It's coming out less than a week before the deadline for Oscar candidates, it's perfectly primed to get maximum exposure without there being any time for the Academy to forget it.

Incidentally, it's hardly a 'triumph through adversity' film that, I agree, the Academy loves. Far from it. Have you seen it yet?

I haven't seen it, no. I was simply going off the trailer.
Reply 4819
Original post by Evil_Ed
x

x

I'm guessing it's going to be like what happened with Boys Don't Cry, where the only really memorable aspect of the film was S****'s performance. I also agree with Phalanges that the whole thing reeks of 'it's their time' syndrome with regards to Glenn Close. The Academy love to do it, especially recently with Sandra Bullock, Jeff Bridges etc.

EDIT: LOLOL they censored Hilary S****.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending