The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Whew, another formative passed with very little revision - like a bawss.
Original post by crazylemon
What kind of dick tells me that they heard a good murmer then not only won't tell me where the patient is but also won't even tell me what the ****ing murmer was?

ARGH

Did you ask them there the patients was? Did you tell them to not be a dick if they said no? Cannot stand gunners!
(edited 12 years ago)
What kind of dick tells me that they heard a good murmer then not only won't tell me where the patient is but also won't even tell me what the ****ing murmer was?

ARGH

That's mad. But to be honest, if someone is so worked up like that, you could troll them big time by telling them all sorts of bs to make them jelly.
Reply 6703
I know there are a few proper PC/gaming people over here, so this may be of some interest. I found a few PCs in our libraries that are running the intel i7 2600 CPU. It's not the unlocked 'K' version but still, that's insane for just word processing and browsing! That one CPU probably cost more than most of the other entire computers there. Just thought I'd share. lol
I asked. They ran off before I could ask anymore though.

When it comes to gunners, I don't believe a word they say.

I've heard some pretty ballsy things as well: some 4rd year piping up that they shocked someone during resus when they in fact were a total shrinking violet during an arrest.

Others have said they practically did a key part of the surgery with assistance.

All *******s.
Reply 6705
This is imperial who feel widescreen are such a necessity.

I like the ultra fast Internet in halls though.

Yeah, those are really, really nice. I'm building a computer now and was quite content with getting a 19" monitor - until I used the 23" ones. They're beautiful. But even those, mostly have basic components, just a nice screen. The ones I'm talking about are high-end quad-core hyperthreading 3.4Ghz processors.
If I was to present something at a regional level, what sort of evidence would I need to say I'd done it? :holmes:
Original post by SMed
I know there are a few proper PC/gaming people over here, so this may be of some interest. I found a few PCs in our libraries that are running the intel i7 2600 CPU. It's not the unlocked 'K' version but still, that's insane for just word processing and browsing! That one CPU probably cost more than most of the other entire computers there. Just thought I'd share. lol

That's pretty mad. It's *technically* a better CPU than in my rig, albeit not really because mine will be under water and is the unlocked K version so will have a much higher performance when I'm finished.

I haven't used the computers in the library for aaaageees but I wouldn't be suprised if it was an old P4 or something. They're pretty cack.

Original post by SMed
Yeah, those are really, really nice. I'm building a computer now and was quite content with getting a 19" monitor - until I used the 23" ones. They're beautiful. But even those, mostly have basic components, just a nice screen. The ones I'm talking about are high-end quad-core hyperthreading 3.4Ghz processors.

Your library has a 23" widescreen monitor in it? I know Imperial are pretty big on comp sci but dude...
Reply 6708
Original post by RollerBall
That's pretty mad. It's *technically* a better CPU than in my rig, albeit not really because mine will be under water and is the unlocked K version so will have a much higher performance when I'm finished.

I haven't used the computers in the library for aaaageees but I wouldn't be suprised if it was an old P4 or something. They're pretty cack.

Your library has a 23" widescreen monitor in it? I know Imperial are pretty big on comp sci but dude...

Most of the sites now have 23" monitors. I'm talking probably several hundred 23" monitors just bought this summer. TBH, I don't see why. They had pretty good 19" before that and there was NOTHING wrong with them! 19" WS monitors are MORE THAN acceptable for general purpose library computers.

And most of the PCs have the previous generation i3 processors which, again, are more than enough for what they're being used for.

Have you got the 2500K? I got one a few weeks ago from the States for £135 (retail version). :biggrin:
Original post by SMed
Most of the sites now have 23" monitors. I'm talking probably several hundred 23" monitors just bought this summer. TBH, I don't see why. They had pretty good 19" before that and there was NOTHING wrong with them! 19" WS monitors are MORE THAN acceptable for general purpose library computers.

And most of the PCs have the previous generation i3 processors which, again, are more than enough for what they're being used for.

Have you got the 2500K? I got one a few weeks ago from the States for £135 (retail version). :biggrin:

Yeah, my specs are in my sig. They're a bit lackluster at the moment as I was waiting for funds for watercooling and still haven't got around to it. Still toying with upgrading my 20" monitor too. I think my girlfriend might kill me if I did though as this one isn't even that old...

Crikey, our library computers have (iirc) 19" old school square LCDs. They're still more than ample for a library computer. 23" monitors and i6s sound a bit absurd for a library setup. Surely there is something better they could be spending the money on? Or do a lot of the courses such as eng/compsci use very processor heavy tasks? Would make sense why they opted for the hyperthreading on the 2600k. Now that you mention it I think my library comps might have old Nehelem architecture i3s.

I love states prices, I go out there once or twice a year but have never bought hardware out there, just basic things like rads/blocks for A. fear of DOAs/RMAs and if the postage service goes to **** as I'd buy it online at Newegg or similar.
Reply 6710
Original post by RollerBall
Yeah, my specs are in my sig. They're a bit lackluster at the moment as I was waiting for funds for watercooling and still haven't got around to it. Still toying with upgrading my 20" monitor too. I think my girlfriend might kill me if I did though as this one isn't even that old...

Crikey, our library computers have (iirc) 19" old school square LCDs. They're still more than ample for a library computer. 23" monitors and i6s sound a bit absurd for a library setup. Surely there is something better they could be spending the money on? Or do a lot of the courses such as eng/compsci use very processor heavy tasks? Would make sense why they opted for the hyperthreading on the 2600k. Now that you mention it I think my library comps might have old Nehelem architecture i3s.

I love states prices, I go out there once or twice a year but have never bought hardware out there, just basic things like rads/blocks for A. fear of DOAs/RMAs and if the postage service goes to **** as I'd buy it online at Newegg or similar.

Well, I've only seen 1 or 2 of the 2600s, and this was at hospital sites, not the main campus library - I have no idea what they have there.

Not everything was cheaper there, the mobos were pretty much the same price and RAM was a little cheaper, about £5-10 less for the sticks I got.

I'm building a budget 2500K rig now (first build). I don't game so I'm not getting a GPU right now. Mainly will be running photoshop so not really graphics heavy. When I have more money I'll probably get a 560ti or something (I don't know much about GPUs).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SMed
Well, I've only seen 1 or 2 of the 2600s, and this was at hospital sites, not the main campus library - I have no idea what they have there.

Not everything was cheaper there, the mobos were pretty much the same price and RAM was a little cheaper, about £5-10 less for the sticks I got.

I'm building a budget 2500K rig now (first build). I don't game so I'm not getting a GPU right now. Mainly will be running photoshop so not really graphics heavy. When I have more money I'll probably get a 560ti or something (I don't know much about GPUs).

You seem to have done most of the legwork yourself. A GPU is arguably the easiest bit to upgrade. It's mostly a case of checking if anywhere else there would be a bottleneck (which from the sounds of it there wouldn't be) and what res/quality you'll want to play at. Price, arguably is the most limiting factor in picking a GPU though really.

If you want any help just give me a shout. The 560ti is a pretty solid mid range part though. It sounds like the 7 AMD or 6 series Nvid might be out by the time you upgrade though.
The gunners managed to get on everyones wick yet again today, turning up to a clinic when it was supposed to be scheduled for someone else. The worst thing is I'm with them again for my next rotation, great.
Reply 6713
Original post by Mushi_master
The gunners managed to get on everyones wick yet again today, turning up to a clinic when it was supposed to be scheduled for someone else. The worst thing is I'm with them again for my next rotation, great.

Kill them.

Time for a team intervention, I feel.
Original post by Helenia
Time for a team intervention, I feel.

That would be the sensible thing to do. The doctors are getting wind of it now too, without us even saying anything.
Reply 6716

Is that kind of behaviour pretty wide-spread then? Was it in pre-clins too?
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Whew, another formative passed with very little revision - like a bawss.

You revise for formatives? :confused:
Original post by clarusblue
That's amazing. Scrolling along someone pops into my head for each one.

Although I'm scared because "perpetually enraged" actually sounds like me :frown: although I am only really annoyed by our gunner/one-track mind hybrid so I suppose that makes it slightly more acceptable

Wonder who that could be...
Original post by Beska
Is that kind of behaviour pretty wide-spread then? Was it in pre-clins too?

Apparently so! Seems there's always one. Or two.

Not so much in pre-clins, as its not the same environment meaning only a couple of people can be in one place at any time. Although you could tell who would be like that, the ones sitting in the middle of the front row, running up to the lecturer at the end and asking stupid questions to sound clever.

Watch out for them, you've been warned! :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending