The Student Room Group

Best Universities for Computer Graphics/Animation?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sofronis
Hey,

Always important that a student makes the right choice before joining any course :smile: I guess for me, at interview stage I really don't want to see a piece of work in a portfolio that is taken from a 3D tutorial (i.e. a Digital Tutors bike, Gnomon weapon etc) - that just tells me the candidate is capable of following instructions - a good skill but not one that I think is imperative to someone getting a place on a course. If students are using Maya for the first time and learning in isolation at home;I'm guessing the work is going to be rather limited and design wise - shallow. Students should feel free to play with software, experiment with techniques, maybe even mention it in the interview - but it shouldn't form the basis of a portfolio interview. I'd advise that student bring a balanced portfolio of traditional and digital work that they are comfortable to talk about. I've had students before who were product designers who made biscuit tins. Bud damn they were good biscuit tins!

The thread is about the best Universities for computer Graphics and Animation and we seem to be avoiding 2D digital work here. A lot of the industries VFX projects (if we remove Games for two seconds) is heavily dependent on 2D skills to achieve their shots. Compositing skills are a huge part of a production - understanding the 2D/3D pipeline is an essential requirement. As is lighting, composition and cinematography. I don't think a student submitting a 3D portfolio is going to have the breadth of work to demonstrate this. The whole point of an animation or VFX course is that you can and should be able move towards certain themes - Character and Environments, 2D and 3D etc. Both inform one another, and we obviously see a lot of convergence between these technologies and the artists/TD's roles - hence the reason for a portfolio that gives the student the ability to choose a path that is right for them once on the course.

Cheers

To hear the views on 3D portfolio work from both Bournemouth and Hertfordshire is extremely helpful seeing as they are the two universities I would love to join for animation.
So thank you to you both!
I guess I can try and look at Maya and attempt to show some aspects of modelling however weak they may be, but it is comforting to know that Bournemouth asks for no 3D knowledge.

I just have to survive the maths test now haha!
Ah jee without stress, wouldn't life be boring :smile:
Reply 2021
University of Hertfordshire students won the People's Choice Award at The Virgin Media Shorts Award a couple of days ago with their film InAnimate, where Micheal O’Donogue, Soulla Josephides and Ying Hui Tan picked up £2000 of film equipment for their next project. They were awarded the prize by the actor John Hurt. Thanks to everyone who voted for them :smile:

You can watch the film here:
http://www.virginmediashorts.co.uk/film/1583/inanimate
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2022
I got an interview at Glamorgan on 10th december! Has anyone else heard from them? I was expecting the interviews to be in January, I best start working on my portfolio :eek:
Original post by KHill
I got an interview at Glamorgan on 10th december! Has anyone else heard from them? I was expecting the interviews to be in January, I best start working on my portfolio :eek:

Oh my god me too! 10/12/11! I'm dying! My portfolio isn't ready!! Ahhh!! Are you panicking toooo?!
Reply 2024
Original post by Synwithagrinnn
Oh my god me too! 10/12/11! I'm dying! My portfolio isn't ready!! Ahhh!! Are you panicking toooo?!
I havn't even started my portfolio x.x I was panicking but I've calmed down a bit now, we've still got 3 weeks it's not too late to sort things out XD
Reading your application trials and tribulations, It's crazy to think that that was me a whole year ago! It's flown by so quickly...

Anyway, just posting to say that if anyone is considering / has applied for Abertay, gimme a shout! I'm loving 1st year so far, and I'm happy to help with any questions you might have.

Good luck everyone! n__n
hey, I have an interview at Falmouth in 10 days and im panicking my portfolio is not together and i have little idea of what to whack in it. dont suppose anyone has any suggestions? or tip? Greatly appreciated.
Reply 2027
Original post by ZoeWakefield
hey, I have an interview at Falmouth in 10 days and im panicking my portfolio is not together and i have little idea of what to whack in it. dont suppose anyone has any suggestions? or tip? Greatly appreciated.

i dont have interviews yet handing in my ucas this week :s-smilie:

i've read the whole thread and people from previous years have done and said these things :

make an online portfolio, you can put it on here and get feedback from everyone on what to put in or if you pm moid he'll be able to help you more :smile: include life drawing if you have any and things which you know you can talk about and show artistic skill
and if you look back through this thread checking every year around interview time some people still have online portfolio's which you can look at and get ideas from

hope thats some help :smile:
Hi ,

I just wanted to share some news that was announced yesterday; in which the NCCA at Bournemouth University was awarded the Queens Anniversary Award for its contribution to world-leading excellence and pioneering development in computer animation. The Queen's Anniversary Prizes form part of the national honours system and are the most prestigious awards in UK education.

Take a look at the story here. If you look closely, you'll even see my students working hard in the studio (..ish:smile:).

http://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/newsandevents/News/2011/nov/ne009-queens-honours-list.html

Cheers

Saf
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sofronis
Hi ,

I just wanted to share some news that was announced yesterday; in which the NCCA at Bournemouth University was awarded the Queens Anniversary Award for its contribution to world-leading excellence and pioneering development in computer animation. The Queen's Anniversary Prizes form part of the national honours system and are the most prestigious awards in UK education.

Take a look at the story here. If you look closely, you'll even see my students working hard in the studio (..ish:smile:).

http://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/newsandevents/News/2011/nov/ne009-queens-honours-list.html

Cheers

Saf

I was going to post the same link, Saf :smile: Congrats to Bournemouth!
Original post by ZoeWakefield

Just wondering, when did your ucas get sent off? I got my e-mail from falmouth saying they've received my application today so i'm just trying to work out response times. I haven't seen many people mention falmouth for animation so i'm glad you did! :biggrin:
Framestore CFC open a satellite studio in Bournemouth. Its been great for both the AUCB and BU NCCA.

http://www.televisual.com/news-detail/Framestore-opens-vfx-facility-in-Bournemouth_nid-902.html
Original post by KHill
I havn't even started my portfolio x.x I was panicking but I've calmed down a bit now, we've still got 3 weeks it's not too late to sort things out XD

Oh wow you're brave!!
How is it coming along? It's so soon now!! My portfolio is finally coming together and I'm really proud of it! Finally! I worry for the questions they will ask me now! When is your interview time? :smile:
Reply 2033
Original post by Synwithagrinnn
Oh wow you're brave!!
How is it coming along? It's so soon now!! My portfolio is finally coming together and I'm really proud of it! Finally! I worry for the questions they will ask me now! When is your interview time? :smile:
Yeah mine's getting there too slowly but surely xD I've just got a few more bits and pieces to sort out. Mines at 11.30, when's yours?
Original post by Lydia1234
Just wondering, when did your ucas get sent off? I got my e-mail from falmouth saying they've received my application today so i'm just trying to work out response times. I haven't seen many people mention falmouth for animation so i'm glad you did! :biggrin:

Yeh, i send my ucas off on the 4th of november and recived a letter in the post telling me i had my interview on the 30th after i had recived the email telling me they had recived my application. The interview went really well and they offered me a conditional place. They were really informal and nice, so dont worry if you havent had yours yet! :smile:
Reply 2035
Hello everyone, im a prospective student (finishing school in 2013) and im looking forward to getting into one of the game art & design courses. Currently my top choices are: De Montfort, NUCA, Brunel, UCreative and maybe Abertay, Northumbria. Im not a natural drawer, but im familiar with photoshop, digital manipulation, games development and customization. Im planning to practice digital painting from 2012. And as a gamer I have an eye for 'what this game could have more/less etc.'. Can anyone recommend me which university should I choose as a firm choice, according to that im not a first class drawer (so my portfolio won't be as good as I would like it to be), but I have other specifications. Im from EU, I have A level Arts (from B and A to choose, A is the strongest one), and I have good grades from it. I have medium grades overall, including strongly high music grade, A level history, psichology, biology. Also I play guitar for 2 years, and participated in kind of a lot city competitions, im always active with music and I have formed 2 bands yet. Overall im active in various school/class projects and I love teamworking. I don't know if I said too much, but I hope you can help me with the university choice! thanks for reading :smile:
Original post by KHill
Yeah mine's getting there too slowly but surely xD I've just got a few more bits and pieces to sort out. Mines at 11.30, when's yours?

Same! Just a bit left :smile: I dont know how you did it so fast O.o ohhh before mine!! Mines at 12! We may even see each other lol

Also how big is your portfolio? Because mine is A1! So massive!
I only have a year left in college!! Can someone please tell me what I can use to build up a good portfolio? Do I need any extra stuff outside of school work?( Art, Graphics and Computing are among the subjects I've chosen.) Do I need any indepth prior knowledge in animation and do I need to be able to draw people really well(life drawing)?
Reply 2038
That really depends on how good the course you are applying to is - if you want to get into a good course you will need a strong portfolio and it will probably contain a lot of things that you aren't being taught at college. Some courses won't care if you have previous animation experience and some will. I consider it pretty essential - find out now whether you like animation, don't spend £7 - 10K to discover that... Good life drawing skills are also an essential skill. If you post your portfolio online, it would be easier to get an idea of what level you are at / and find out what is missing - nobody knows what you are being taught at school/college.
Reply 2039
Original post by Kozuki
Hello everyone, im a prospective student (finishing school in 2013) and im looking forward to getting into one of the game art & design courses. Currently my top choices are: De Montfort, NUCA, Brunel, UCreative and maybe Abertay, Northumbria. Im not a natural drawer, but im familiar with photoshop, digital manipulation, games development and customization. Im planning to practice digital painting from 2012. And as a gamer I have an eye for 'what this game could have more/less etc.'. Can anyone recommend me which university should I choose as a firm choice, according to that im not a first class drawer (so my portfolio won't be as good as I would like it to be), but I have other specifications. Im from EU, I have A level Arts (from B and A to choose, A is the strongest one), and I have good grades from it. I have medium grades overall, including strongly high music grade, A level history, psichology, biology. Also I play guitar for 2 years, and participated in kind of a lot city competitions, im always active with music and I have formed 2 bands yet. Overall im active in various school/class projects and I love teamworking. I don't know if I said too much, but I hope you can help me with the university choice! thanks for reading :smile:

Are you intending to become a game artist or a game designer? These are two very different roles. Game Designers do not need art skills (OK it helps, but all the game designers I ever worked with just sketched maps of levels and passed those over to the artists to work out how to make them look pretty). Game Designers need to know gameplay and also have the ability to write extremely interesting texts that are clear and succinct and explain the gameplay and requirements thereof. They also need to have played a lot of games. Skill with scripting/ programming is a much more useful skill to a game designer, as is knowledge of a level editor to move scenery around and fine tune the environment / triggers. A Game Designer usually starts off as a Level Designer (and before that, if they are unlucky, as a games tester) so knowledge of how to make your own levels is paramount - andthe ability to do while re using assets already in the game is extremely helpful - it shows you have the right brain for recycling to save memory / asset generation costs.

A Games Artist needs a combination of 3D and 2D art skills, from drawing to modelling, texturing, rigging and skinning and animating to lighting and also realtime knowledge of current engines and how to get artwork from the software that made it into the editor and create assets or characters for the world the game is set in. Writing skills are not as important, some coding knowledge is helpful (but not essential), but a knowledge of aesthetics and artskills is vital.

Be very careful about applying to courses that claim they can teach you games art AND games design - you are likely to end up knowing a small amount of information about a lot of things, but none of it will be indepth enough to help you get a job. I've taught students who have studied on these sorts of courses and they were not very happy about the level of skill they were taught at or required to gain to do well academically (which is often not the same as become employable). You would do well to see if you can find graduates who have studied at these courses and got jobs afterwards and see if you can contact them and find out what they thought of the education they received.

If it's any help, I have heard good things about the course at Abertay.

Quick Reply

Latest