The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by woods.vanessa
No the MS Spring week is not divisional which is why it's good I think!

From the countless people I've spoken to in the last couple of months (second years who did SWs last year, summer interns from this year and graduates) MS is supposedly one of the best firms to work at. They don't have an excessively aggressive cut-throat culture like Goldman or JP but at the same time aren't too soft like the European banks...BarCap, UBS.
I definitely wouldn't call BarCap soft. They're a relatively young IB with a very competitive mentality. It's pretty clear if you look at their hiring process, especially at the summer intern stage. I agree with your point about MS though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by i_hate_teeth
On the other hand a director in trading told me that he wants to have coffee with me :colondollar:.

Shut the **** up.
Your troll posts are really just getting ridiculous now, first your attempts at flattering yourself were borderline amusing but now it's just almost patronising that you think the readers are gullible and naive enough to believe your drivel.
Original post by Marc Fiorano
Shut the **** up.
Your troll posts are really just getting ridiculous now, first your attempts at flattering yourself were borderline amusing but now it's just almost patronising that you think the readers are gullible and naive enough to believe your drivel.

I am being 100% honest.

Don't ask what I'm up to on on the engineering side of things...
I was this close to getting the head of European Investment banking at barcap's card but a fagg from lse ****ed it up for me. On the other hand a director in trading told me that he wants to have coffee with me :colondollar:.

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
When applying for spring weeks, how much emphasis is placed on work experince?

If I go to a non - target uni, (Durham) but have several work placements including 2 BB's, 1 mid mark market bank, 1 interdealer broker and an investment management company, will this stand me in good stead? Despite the fact that I am coming from a non - target.
Original post by CityTrader

If I go to a non - target uni, (Durham) but have several work placements including 2 BB's, 1 mid mark market bank, 1 interdealer broker and an investment management company, will this stand me in good stead? Despite the fact that I am coming from a non - target.

Durham is a great uni! And your work exp should put you in very good stead. You've definitely had more experience than most - I haven't had any!

That level of work experience would put you in a very, very strong position (as far as CV goes). Remember that a non-target uni doesn't mean banks won't recruit from there, just that they don't actively go out looking for students from that uni. Uni brand is one thing but your work experience trumps Oxbridge + no work experience imo.

Although I would imagine your interviews will be more difficult than for somebody who's had no experience. They'll really grill you on what you've done, see how you've learned from it and maybe even include more technical questions.

Best of luck.
Original post by woods.vanessa
Durham is a great uni! And your work exp should put you in very good stead. You've definitely had more experience than most - I haven't had any!

Ok thank you for your reply and encouragement, and good luck with your apps!
Original post by Marc Fiorano
That level of work experience would put you in a very, very strong position (as far as CV goes). Remember that a non-target uni doesn't mean banks won't recruit from there, just that they don't actively go out looking for students from that uni. Uni brand is one thing but your work experience trumps Oxbridge + no work experience imo.

Although I would imagine your interviews will be more difficult than for somebody who's had no experience. They'll really grill you on what you've done, see how you've learned from it and maybe even include more technical questions.

Best of luck.

Thanks mate, that is positive and encouraging to know. I guess when I do the experince, I will be able to find alot more about the spring programmes. I'll be around a couple of the banks when the interns are there, so will ask some q's about it then!
Cheers and best of luck with your apps.
Going to Durham makes zero sense if you know you want to work in investment banking. Trust me.
Going to Durham makes zero sense if you know you want to work in investment banking. Trust me.

Why?
Why?

All the investment banks are in London.

Why does that bother me, when I have a decent list of companies on my CV already? If it's because the IB's don't go up to Durham as much as UCL then quite frankly it makes no difference. what difference does an hours presentation from an IB going to make?

I've met quite a few Durham grads in the City, and theres even a poster on the TSR who went to Durham to do a completely irrelevant degree and is now in FO at a BB.

So by that logic it wouldn't make sense to go to Oxbridge. You don't have to be at a London uni :facepalm2: It just makes it easier to attend networking events, but that's all.
Jan left Cambridge for LSE.

I guess it just depends on the individual.
Jan left Cambridge for LSE.

I guess it just depends on the individual.

He did change courses though from straight Math to Math and Econ if I remember correctly. The course switch makes a lot of sense in terms of banking especially trading.
Reply 437
Which Jan?
I really am in two minds whether to apply now or wait to see if my CV can be improved further

Also, I've applied to JP Morgan since their deadline is pretty early but i dont want them to be the first online tests i do
Reply 439
Start with UBS, they won't do these spring insights. Too risky. Just practice there. (And if you want to, make screenshots and upload them.)

Latest

Trending

Trending