The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

I'm sure it will be fine Noodles!

Keep going everyone else! :-)

I've had 2 great observations so far but still need my interim grade. Teaching my first Maths session today. Oh and my laptop charger has broken so spending lots of time in the library, eugh!
I didnt have to teach that lesson as it goes! Forgot that absent teacher = need to bring own laptop. But watching the cover teacher (who used to teach them) do the lesson for me just made me realise how awful mine would have been and now I'm in a terrible mood! Typical.
Original post by noodles!
what happened?

Original post by Becca
What happened? I can definitely sympathise and was in exactly the same place in terms of considering quitting at about the same time in my training year so don't rush into any quick decisions because of one bad day.

Original post by carnationlilyrose
Since none of us knows the circumstances you're in, we can't say if you're right or not, but I can say with absolute cast iron, copper-bottomed certainty that there isn't a PGCE student in the country who hasn't felt this at some point, and any teacher who claims not to have been there is lying. It's a hugely stressful job and we all get to breaking point sometimes. I've been teaching for 28 years and I now work in a school where the kids are as soft as butter, but even now I can recall the agony of some of my early lessons. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof - start again tomorrow. Don't dwell on it; chances are the kids won't.

Thanks guys. :smile:

I taught my first lesson and there were so many areas I have to work on that I felt completely overwhelmed. The children didn't really listen to me as the teacher, settling them down at the start and during transitions was really difficult. Plus, one pupil arrived back after a four week trip to Hong Kong, and he just sat there and shouted "who are you anyway" when I tried to start the lesson! I also lost track of time and ended up failing to do the plenary. :frown:

My teacher was really nice about it. She said that sorting out the timings is one issue most teachers/students have to work on - I've been in school nearly 2 weeks now and I haven't seen her do a starter or a plenary yet, because she said she hasn't had time to fit them in.

I just felt overwhelmed. I hate doing a bad job at anything - I knew it wouldn't be perfect, of course, but I just felt out of my depth.

I looked after the class for an hour in the afternoon, which was a bit more successful. I wasn't teaching a lesson but rather supervising some work set by the teacher. Then I had to gather the children and read a story [the teacher wants them to get into the habit before we read Pharaoh in the Bath as a class novel next term]. I used a couple of tips the teacher gave me after my lesson and they seemed to work reasonably well. Everyone listened to the story and gathered their belongings to line up for home time without too much fuss. :redface:

I have to plan the two lessons I am doing on Monday tonight, as my teacher wants to check over the plans tomorrow. I suppose that will be the test - if I can do a better job of them. I really don't think I can do a worse job lol. :redface:
Reply 563
Original post by affinity89
Thanks guys. :smile:

I taught my first lesson and there were so many areas I have to work on that I felt completely overwhelmed. The children didn't really listen to me as the teacher, settling them down at the start and during transitions was really difficult. Plus, one pupil arrived back after a four week trip to Hong Kong, and he just sat there and shouted "who are you anyway" when I tried to start the lesson! I also lost track of time and ended up failing to do the plenary. :frown:

My teacher was really nice about it. She said that sorting out the timings is one issue most teachers/students have to work on - I've been in school nearly 2 weeks now and I haven't seen her do a starter or a plenary yet, because she said she hasn't had time to fit them in.

I just felt overwhelmed. I hate doing a bad job at anything - I knew it wouldn't be perfect, of course, but I just felt out of my depth.

I looked after the class for an hour in the afternoon, which was a bit more successful. I wasn't teaching a lesson but rather supervising some work set by the teacher. Then I had to gather the children and read a story [the teacher wants them to get into the habit before we read Pharaoh in the Bath as a class novel next term]. I used a couple of tips the teacher gave me after my lesson and they seemed to work reasonably well. Everyone listened to the story and gathered their belongings to line up for home time without too much fuss. :redface:

I have to plan the two lessons I am doing on Monday tonight, as my teacher wants to check over the plans tomorrow. I suppose that will be the test - if I can do a better job of them. I really don't think I can do a worse job lol. :redface:

Feeling overwhelmed is totally normal, and from your description the things that happen sound completely usual, especially for a first lesson. Those things can easily be remedied and they *are* things that are normal, even for people have been teaching for years! Don't panic :yep:
Original post by Becca
Feeling overwhelmed is totally normal, and from your description the things that happen sound completely usual, especially for a first lesson. Those things can easily be remedied and they *are* things that are normal, even for people have been teaching for years! Don't panic :yep:

Completely agree.
Hooray for lying awake at night and thinking, "In less than a year, I will be in sole charge of the education of 30 children at a very formative time for an entire year. Argh."
Original post by FadeToBlackout
Hooray for lying awake at night and thinking, "In less than a year, I will be in sole charge of the education of 30 children at a very formative time for an entire year. Argh."

Evil cackle.:colone:
Reply 567
Original post by FadeToBlackout

This is how I feel. Only I am expected to teach Norwegian children to read in Norwegian. Lol.
Original post by Becca
This is how I feel. Only I am expected to teach Norwegian children to read in Norwegian. Lol.

Please tell me you actually speak/read Norwegian.
Reply 569
Please tell me you actually speak/read Norwegian.

To an extent...I moved here just over a year ago so I'm not 100% fluent yet. I can read and write better than 6 year olds though :p:
Original post by Becca
To an extent...I moved here just over a year ago so I'm not 100% fluent yet. I can read and write better than 6 year olds though :p:

Good lord - well done!

Reached breaking point today. Ended up crying about five times. :/

Really not sure this is this right for me. :/

Awww! having a good rant about it can help- I'm happy to listen if you want to- I know how awful it can be!
My teacher told me to make greater use of the computer during my lessons, so I've planned two lessons for Monday which use the computer and some animations etc. Today, I walked in to find the overhead projector has been removed! My teacher said she thinks it might possibly be back by Monday, but that she isn't sure. It is not her fault, of course, but it is very frustrating. Now I've got to replan my lessons to remove the ICT elements and make sure everything I plan can be done with just a normal white board.
I think the main frustration comes from the fact she told me to plan two lessons last night [she didn't know what they were going to be on topic wise until the afternoon] for her to check this morning, so I spent ages on them last night after the disaster of my first lesson. And, now I am going to have to redo them both because of this ICT glitch. *headache begins* :frown:

Other than that, things have been okay. Just okay lol. The children are starting to see me more as a teacher [rather than an assistant] but I still need to work on throwing my voice. Getting the attention of the entire class when they are rushing about shouting and fussing is still be mastered. :/
Just taught my first whole lesson :smile: I really enjoyed it and once I felt more relaxed it flowed quite nicely.
Reply 574
My teacher told me to make greater use of the computer during my lessons, so I've planned two lessons for Monday which use the computer and some animations etc. Today, I walked in to find the overhead projector has been removed! My teacher said she thinks it might possibly be back by Monday, but that she isn't sure. It is not her fault, of course, but it is very frustrating. Now I've got to replan my lessons to remove the ICT elements and make sure everything I plan can be done with just a normal white board.
I think the main frustration comes from the fact she told me to plan two lessons last night [she didn't know what they were going to be on topic wise until the afternoon] for her to check this morning, so I spent ages on them last night after the disaster of my first lesson. And, now I am going to have to redo them both because of this ICT glitch. *headache begins* :frown:

Other than that, things have been okay. Just okay lol. The children are starting to see me more as a teacher [rather than an assistant] but I still need to work on throwing my voice. Getting the attention of the entire class when they are rushing about shouting and fussing is still be mastered. :/

Sorry to hear about you ICT problem. I love using the smartboard but it is one of the most frustrating thing ever when equipment like that fails. At least you found out now rather than on the day!

Wrt getting the attention of the class, have you tried just standing silently with your arms folded, breathing slowly and looking around the room at the kids? You have to stand up straight and have really confident body language, but it generally works for me, even if it takes a while. Saves your voice too!

At least the teacher would see that you HAD taken her advice into account and were trying to incorporate ICT, it's just unfortunate that you couldn't use it! Still, you've got the lesson plan so keep it and put it in with your lesson plans and I don't know if your the same but I've stared a resources folder too!

You'll be fine, keep going!
Double post but ah well..

I got my first KAP (key assessment point) grade on Friday and I'm so pleased! I did have a glitch on Weds when my placement partner decided to piggy back my lesson and 'team teach' even though it was entirely my lesson, planned and resourced. Not impressed! Although it went well, it could have been better but that's why I'm a in training isn't it. Evaluate, reflect, Plan!

Hope everyone is still enjoying school. I can really see myself with a class of kids next year, fingers, toes and eyes crossed for a job. We have our careers fair in the first week of Dec, what is everyone thinking for, what to wear and whether to take business cards with your email address on? Thoughts?

Just a bit of advice for interviews - whatever they say they've got in the classroom, assume it won't be there or working on the day of your interview. I was in on an interview recently where the candidate had what looked like a brilliant lesson prepared, but the computer wouldn't work (sadly all too common irl) and she just fell to pieces. She lost the job because she couldn't cope with the unexpected. Make sure you have a backup plan. A good teacher can teach without anything at all, so make sure you're ready to prove this if it all goes pear-shaped.
Just a bit of advice for interviews - whatever they say they've got in the classroom, assume it won't be there or working on the day of your interview. I was in on an interview recently where the candidate had what looked like a brilliant lesson prepared, but the computer wouldn't work (sadly all too common irl) and she just fell to pieces. She lost the job because she couldn't cope with the unexpected. Make sure you have a backup plan. A good teacher can teach without anything at all, so make sure you're ready to prove this if it all goes pear-shaped.

I'll re-plan my lessons this weekend. :smile:

It was just frustrating after she told me I didn't use the computer enough during my first lesson and that I should up my usage lol. Ahh well.
Reply 579
The computer packed up on me whilst I was teaching a numeracy lesson. I was mostly teaching from the board, but thankfully I was close to the end and I knew what was on the last slide. I was very comfortable with what I was teaching so I was able to carry on regardless. I think that's what's important, knowing in your head what you want them to learn.

The annoying thing was, I was teaching about time and it happened whilst I was timing how many times a child could throw and catch a bean bag in a minute, using the smart board timer. Thank god for watches !!! I could do it again easily just using my watch.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending