The Student Room Group

Imperial Postgraduate Applications 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I'm doing BSc Economics and has applied to the MSc Management course at Imperial. Still waiting for my second referee to upload his reference. On the tracking system it says my application is under consideration by the department. Fingers cross I'll be invited for a skype interview! For those who also applied to the business school please feel free to exchange any info here! Cheers!
Reply 41
Original post by zziippoo
Before two years Imperial gave an offer to a friend for risk with 2.2. Also i know some other students who applied for MSc in Management in 2009 and they got a low offer 2.2.
The website before two years were saying that you have to obtain a 2.2 and above.

The thing is that imperial has really good reputation as a university. therefore the business school is really good only because of the name. the programms are not good and are suitable for people who study at imperial sciences and they want to work in business area. for that reason people who have a degree in business and management can not apply at imperial.

last year a friend finished the msc in risk management, she got distinction. her offer was to obtain a 2.1 but she got first from nottingham university in mathematics. she told me that the first term was more difficult than the other two because she had to do more specific modules on risk management. the other two terms she had chosen all the mathematical modules, like the whole class and she graduated with distinction.

In 2009 the course was still quite new and the application has become much more competitive last year. I doubt if they'll make any offer below 2.1...... anyway thanks for your information! Do you know how long it takes for them to make a decision / an interview offer?
Reply 42
Original post by vinc10
In 2009 the course was still quite new and the application has become much more competitive last year. I doubt if they'll make any offer below 2.1...... anyway thanks for your information! Do you know how long it takes for them to make a decision / an interview offer?

Yeah I agree with that.. I do not think that anyone will get an offer below 2.1
For decisions 8-10 weeks
For interviews: I am not sure if they do interviews. :s-smilie:
Reply 43
Original post by zziippoo
Yeah I agree with that.. I do not think that anyone will get an offer below 2.1
For decisions 8-10 weeks
For interviews: I am not sure if they do interviews. :s-smilie:

OMG it takes that long...

They do skype interview and it's a must before they give any offers!
Hello everybody,

I am applying for MSc in Aeronautics.

Just a general question: how long is your personal statement?

In the application form, no length is specified.
Does every postgrad course require an interview?
I've totally missed that information :redface:

Not that I don't like interviews, but it still causes quite a lot of preparation work :s-smilie:
Reply 46
On e-service it shows:
Current Status Application currently under consideration by the Department.

However my second referee still hasn't uploaded the reference. Is Imperial reviewing my application? I heard that some conditional offers are given out with one of the conditions being receiving a satisfactory reference.:eek:
Original post by vinc10
On e-service it shows:
Current Status Application currently under consideration by the Department.

However my second referee still hasn't uploaded the reference. Is Imperial reviewing my application? I heard that some conditional offers are given out with one of the conditions being receiving a satisfactory reference.:eek:

Well you should be happy then !!!!
Reply 48
Original post by PollyAbroad
Does every postgrad course require an interview?
I've totally missed that information :redface:

Not that I don't like interviews, but it still causes quite a lot of preparation work :s-smilie:

How would you prepare for an interview? I'm thinking of going over imperials website regarding the course content. How else could we prepare?
Original post by IK237
How would you prepare for an interview? I'm thinking of going over imperials website regarding the course content. How else could we prepare?

I'm currently working on my final project, so I would definitely prepare something summary-like to explain what I'm doing, motivation, expected success, etc.
Besides, I was working for a company during my first two years at uni; so something about that as well and most important in my case: Try to explain why I want to do a PhD afterwards, my interests in research, etc.

I only know about Oxford interviews and they last about 20min which is imo really short and I don't want to spend 15min talking about my final project; thus, not having a chance to mention any other things which might be helpful... :s-smilie:

Does anyone know whether every applicant gets interviewed or only people who seem to be qualified?
Reply 50
Got access to my self service today. It took 9 days for the e-mail to come through.
Reply 51
Hello all,

I have a question about the online application I've made this morning, have we got only one subject for MSc at ICL to choose ? ..And so pay again £50 to apply to an other MSc...

Thanks
Reply 52
Original post by kelyos
Hello all,

I have a question about the online application I've made this morning, have we got only one subject for MSc at ICL to choose ? ..And so pay again £50 to apply to an other MSc...

Thanks

What did you apply for? :s-smilie:

My application didn't require a fee.
Reply 53
Original post by Akkuz
What did you apply for? :s-smilie:

My application didn't require a fee.

Should be Business School :wink:
Reply 54
Indeed,

Plz can I have a reply on this

Thanks !
Reply 55
I'm applying to Imperial in the next couple of weeks. MSc Advanced Computing :biggrin:
Original post by federvo.mala
Hello,

I am considering of applying for MSc Applied Mathematics and MSc Computational Methods in Aeronautics.

Just wondering what's the best time for starting the application, any thought?

I am applying for Applied Mathematics too. Have you sent off your application?
Original post by firstladynaija
I am applying for Applied Mathematics too. Have you sent off your application?

Hi there, i have put Applied Maths as a second choice.
The first one is MSc in Computational methods for aeronautics.
No I haven't sent the application yet, still working on the personal statement.

Hey, I have a question: on my statement I am going talk about mostly about my first choice. Actually I was thinking only to give a paragraph, anyway...do you think its gonna look bad, such as they my think that im not really focused on the subject, etc?
Original post by federvo.mala
Hi there, i have put Applied Maths as a second choice.
The first one is MSc in Computational methods for aeronautics.
No I haven't sent the application yet, still working on the personal statement.

Hey, I have a question: on my statement I am going talk about mostly about my first choice. Actually I was thinking only to give a paragraph, anyway...do you think its gonna look bad, such as they my think that im not really focused on the subject, etc?

Yeah, the personal statement took me ages too.

The thing is, there is a similarity between the two courses(both offered by the maths department and share core some modules). Personally, I would say that would be fine. But then again, I could be wrong. You could ask someone at the department what the procedure is for applying for 2 courses at the same time. :smile:
Reply 59
Original post by vinc10

It may have become more competitive, but given that they ask for £27,000, which is an absurd amount not matter how good the program is, they must be giving out tons of offers, because most people who can make it into this program can also make it into Oxford/Cambridge/LSE/UCL or other Imperial departments that ask for a third of this amount. It may not be "risk management" but the brand names of the schools overshadow the specific program anyway as long as its not "TV studies".

The person I know that got in was studying Economics and she had the UK equivalent of a low 2.1 and a couple of cookie-cutter internships.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest