The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RO'Gara
Thanks :smile: I've just been overthinking my situation a little and panicking just a little too much :tongue: I'm a re-reapplicant though since all I got last year was a waiting list place for Edinburgh which I had to decline my 5th offer for and yeah they didn't take anyone off the waiting list :frown: So I HAVE to get in this year, for my own sanity and self esteem.

i understand, i'm a reapplicant too
Reply 4741
Original post by laurenl93
Oh okay, sorry to hear! However if i was in your shoes last year I wouldve done the exact same thing and took another gap year :smile:

So where you applied this year? God you must hate ukcat more than i do! (and i ****ing hate verbal reasoning)

Thanks. Emm I applied to Newcastle, Manchester, Glasgow and Imperial. I detest the UKCAT, absolutely failed it the 1st time round, I think my average was 540 but did much better last year 737.5 and not quite as good this year 730. (I could murder cheerfully whoever thought of abstract reasoning and the genius who decided to change the calculator from the handheld one to the computer one which didn't work!!)

Last year I applied to a lot of wrong Unis though for my application, should have gone for UKCAT heavy ones. Ah well 3rd time lucky! Where have you applied this year?
Original post by RO'Gara
Thanks. Emm I applied to Newcastle, Manchester, Glasgow and Imperial. I detest the UKCAT, absolutely failed it the 1st time round, I think my average was 540 but did much better last year 737.5 and not quite as good this year 730. (I could murder cheerfully whoever thought of abstract reasoning and the genius who decided to change the calculator from the handheld one to the computer one which didn't work!!)

Last year I applied to a lot of wrong Unis though for my application, should have gone for UKCAT heavy ones. Ah well 3rd time lucky! Where have you applied this year?

Lancaster Liverpool Leeds & QUB
All of which i love and would be happy to go to, i made sure i appplied to PS ones this year as last year my interview one rejecvted me cus they said in comparison to people with the same interview score i had the lower ukcat, which was guttoing
so this year i applied to 2 non ukcat loving ones :biggrin:

Well i live in newcastle, we are mint, my best friend at glasgow loves it there, my friend doing medicine at imperial loves it there and i know nothing about manchester but you of all people know you'll get an interview with that ukcat score :h:
Reply 4743
Lancaster Liverpool Leeds & QUB
All of which i love and would be happy to go to, i made sure i appplied to PS ones this year as last year my interview one rejecvted me cus they said in comparison to people with the same interview score i had the lower ukcat, which was guttoing
so this year i applied to 2 non ukcat loving ones :biggrin:

Well i live in newcastle, we are mint, my best friend at glasgow loves it there, my friend doing medicine at imperial loves it there and i know nothing about manchester but you of all people know you'll get an interview with that ukcat score :h:

Queens is a fantastic Uni, I live in the north of Ireland so a lot of people from my school went there and they adore it! People in Belfast and Northern Ireland are extremely friendly.If you want any help about the hospitals in Belfast or how the NI NHS differs from the English just quote me. One of my good friends is at Liverpool and she loves it, she keeps texting me to tell me how cheap the vodka is :rolleyes: :biggrin: I don't know anything about Leeds or Lancaster though :smile: I can't believe you were so close to a place and lost it due to UKCAT.:eek: If that came back in my feedback I would have screeched and cried my eyes out!

Thanks, I keep telling myself that people with lower UKCAT have got interviews already at Glasgow, Newcastle but it doesn't really help! I don't think I'll believe it until I've read the email at least 7 times :tongue: Freaking it about my BMAT and hoping desperately I pass the ps screen for Manchester :redface:

You live in Newcastle! I love Newcastle, it has to be the prettiest city I've ever seen! Everyone there was so friendly when we went for the open day. We took the ferry over and when we went to come home again Mum realised the car had a puncture. The Mayor's chauffeur helped us change it :tongue: and all these men on the street were so helpful!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by RO'Gara
Queens is a fantastic Uni, I live in the north of Ireland so a lot of people from my school went there and they adore it! People in Belfast and Northern Ireland are extremely friendly.If you want any help about the hospitals in Belfast or how the NI NHS differs from the English just quote me. One of my good friends is at Liverpool and she loves it, she keeps texting me to tell me how cheap the vodka is :rolleyes: :biggrin: I don't know anything about Leeds or Lancaster though :smile: I can't believe you were so close to a place and lost it due to UKCAT.:eek: If that came back in my feedback I would have screeched and cried my eyes out!

Thanks, I keep telling myself that people with lower UKCAT have got interviews already at Glasgow, Newcastle but it doesn't really help! I don't think I'll believe it until I've read the email at least 7 times :tongue: Freaking it about my BMAT and hoping desperately I pass the ps screen for Manchester :redface:

You live in Newcastle! I love Newcastle, it has to be the prettiest city I've ever seen! Everyone there was so friendly when we went for the open day. We took the ferry over and when we went to come home again Mum realised the car had a puncture. The Mayor's chauffeur helped us change it :tongue: and all these men on the street were so helpful!

Yeah i live in newcastle! Awwh aren't you lovely :blushing: Yeah Newcastle is soo nice, but when you get your interview i'd be more than happy to help you with which hotel is beste/closest to city centre, what to do, what they ask you at interview, general **** about newcastle :smile:

Ah that would be amazing if you could help with the NI nhs if i get an interview there hopefully, i'd appreciate that a lot :smile: Yeah well if people with lower ukcats have interviews you'll definitely have one! they randomise when they give the onterviews to make it fair, my ukcat's 625 lmao so bad but not great but i don't mind, as long as it wasnt lower than last year

have you done another degree? or just three years straight of applying? It's gotta be your year this year!
Reply 4745
Yeah i live in newcastle! Awwh aren't you lovely :blushing: Yeah Newcastle is soo nice, but when you get your interview i'd be more than happy to help you with which hotel is beste/closest to city centre, what to do, what they ask you at interview, general **** about newcastle :smile:

Ah that would be amazing if you could help with the NI nhs if i get an interview there hopefully, i'd appreciate that a lot :smile: Yeah well if people with lower ukcats have interviews you'll definitely have one! they randomise when they give the onterviews to make it fair, my ukcat's 625 lmao so bad but not great but i don't mind, as long as it wasnt lower than last year

have you done another degree? or just three years straight of applying? It's gotta be your year this year!

Aww thanks! That would be great!

Your UKCAT isn't bad, its above the national average! It just seems not so good on TSR, some of the people on here are scary good.

Well the 1st time I applied I was in school but since I had glandular fever in lower 6th I was only in school for a few months that year therefore my med application was really hurriedly put together, I had very little work experience and anything I could do wrong I did! I basically came back in Sept for upper 6th and the careers teacher was like emm who are you? :tongue: My first gap year, I spent getting work experience, volunteering etc and I again made the mistake of applying to the wrong Unis. I did Maths and Physics A-Levels last year from scratch as I'd always regretted not doing them in lower 6th and I had so much to make up for in upper 6th that taking on 2 new subjects would have been madness esp as I had to drop French as a 4th subject as I couldn't cope. So yeah basically 3 straight years of applying, well it will be come Sept 2012 :biggrin: They have to give me something for perseverence! :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
In all fairness the woman shouldn't have been so nasty when she sneered about not serving me, I felt I had to then buy the thing again and go straight to her with my id safely in my bag just to give her a lesson not to be rude to people. That's the one thing I absolutely hate, people being rude

You have an interview now yes? I'm still trying to get to grips with matching usernames to Facebook names these days :h:

i hate rude people!
rude people made me cry at work the other week haha.

and no :frown: think im pretty much the only person on the group without one!
Original post by atomos
i hate rude people!
rude people made me cry at work the other week haha.

and no :frown: think im pretty much the only person on the group without one!

I don't have one yet. Waiting for Glasgow to get their finger out their arse.

Also, rude people make me schizo at work. "No madam, that is not a double tall decaf wet soya latte. You took another customers drink. Don't complain that I haven't made it right when you are not PAYING ATTENTION."
I just got an interview invitation from Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge. I am so excited. I had four rejections without interview last year. I hope I get into Cambridge (it will be a dream come true).
Sooooo my mum comes back from the nursery on friday (she works there too) and she tells me that my CRB form is back... and it has been REJECTED! kwjehrbfigsdsf! :angry:

The owner didn't fill it in right about my identity and stuff so after waiting over a month and a half or whatever it's been sent back, so she has to refill it in and re-send it to them so who knows how long it'll take :l Well, apprently it can now be "fast-tracked" but still! And I can't even complain cause it's the owner! Which means if I could get a shift, but there would only be one other member of staff with me, it would be impractical so I wouldn't be able to do it :frown:

...on the plus side, I don't have to change any nappies haha well, unless I'm supervised, but most of them think it'd just be easier and quicker for them to do it so it's all (well that is) good lol
How do you guys tend to prepare for interview? Do you do a lot of current affairs/NHS revision etc?
so i was thinking, its practically december, which means its pretty much nearly 2012, which means march is soon, and that means we'll find out if we've got in soon :colone:
Hey guys, what's been going on?
Sorry I've been absent for a bit.
Original post by JessicaStacks
How do you guys tend to prepare for interview? Do you do a lot of current affairs/NHS revision etc?

I tend to completely fail at preparing :tongue: But when I do, I've started looking at stuff about the reform cause that seems bound to come up and I knew literally nothing about up it up until yesterday :tongue: BBC is a good place to look for articles and stuff and learning the course of the uni is a key one for me :tongue:

Althoughl a lot of my revision always seems to end up as a combination of tsr, facebook, twitter and basically anything completely unrelated. I even started doing an online dot-to-dot yesterday :redface:
Original post by Quackers93
I tend to completely fail at preparing :tongue: But when I do, I've started looking at stuff about the reform cause that seems bound to come up and I knew literally nothing about up it up until yesterday :tongue: BBC is a good place to look for articles and stuff and learning the course of the uni is a key one for me :tongue:

Althoughl a lot of my revision always seems to end up as a combination of tsr, facebook, twitter and basically anything completely unrelated. I even started doing an online dot-to-dot yesterday :redface:

ooh where? :ninja:
Original post by atomos
ooh where? :ninja:

I found this really good website ages ago where they had like a hugeeeeee london dot-to-dot with literally hundreds of dots, but I can't find it again :frown: So I had to settle on really easy kiddy ones like:

http://www-en.toupty.com/dot-to-dot.html
http://www.raisingourkids.com/activities/connect-dot-to-dot/index-03.html

It's gonna be my mission to find the good dot-to-dot website! (But after wednesday, because I'm so easily distracted, if I found it that would be me gone for the rest of the day lol
Original post by atomos
so i was thinking, its practically december, which means its pretty much nearly 2012, which means march is soon, and that means we'll find out if we've got in soon :colone:

:colone:
Reply 4757
Original post by Quackers93
I found this really good website ages ago where they had like a hugeeeeee london dot-to-dot with literally hundreds of dots, but I can't find it again :frown: So I had to settle on really easy kiddy ones like:

http://www-en.toupty.com/dot-to-dot.html
http://www.raisingourkids.com/activities/connect-dot-to-dot/index-03.html

It's gonna be my mission to find the good dot-to-dot website! (But after wednesday, because I'm so easily distracted, if I found it that would be me gone for the rest of the day lol

Woooo, so this is going to help me procrastinate from interview stuff tomorrow :biggrin::biggrin:
http://3rd-timelucky.blogspot.com/

I know I've posted this blog address before so I'm sorry to anybody who has seen it but if not have a read and hope you enjoy it :smile:
This thread is strangely quiet :K:

Here's some YMCA to liven it up :awesome:
:ymca:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending