The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This sounds dim but how can Robinson College or the other colleges filter out at least 40-50% of their applicants before the interview (since average BMAT Scores are about 5) when Cambridge are supposed to interview 80-90% of their applicants? :/ If this is the case, it looks like I'm not going to get an interview due to mistakes with a pencil in a 30 minute exam. Joy.
Original post by StrawberryLaces
This sounds dim but how can Robinson College or the other colleges filter out at least 40-50% of their applicants before the interview (since average BMAT Scores are about 5) when Cambridge are supposed to interview 80-90% of their applicants? :/ If this is the case, it looks like I'm not going to get an interview due to mistakes with a pencil in a 30 minute exam. Joy.

Lets be honest, vast majority who are interviewed will be rejected. It also isn't unusual for them to reject people on the basis of something equivalent to a single mark. I hope for some luck.
Reply 62
Original post by Insanity514
Hey is there any chance you could find out St Catharine's use of the BMAT please?

I tried to call them but by then everyone left. I might try again Thursday or Tuesday...if my time table allows it.

Original post by Davidragon
I'd like to ask for more information about how Emmanual use the BMAT but feel bad about asking others to do the work for me. If I emailed the college would they be likely to talk be through their process or is it more a secretive sort of thing?

Yeah sure you can call them, most of the colleges except a few were very helpful. One even asked if I've been calling every single one of them :colone: and then they wanted to know what were their requirements, sounds like they don't speak much between themselves as the woman was really surprised when I told her what I found out.
I prefer calling but emailing must be just as good.

Original post by Davidragon
Lets be honest, vast majority who are interviewed will be rejected. It also isn't unusual for them to reject people on the basis of something equivalent to a single mark. I hope for some luck.

I second this, Trinity is known for doing such things.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jokosor
I tried to call them but by then everyone left. I might try again Thursday or Tuesday...if my time table allows it.

Cheers :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by crimlex

Original post by crimlex
the whole point of an open application is that you don't chose. Before interview you are allocated to a college that the university chooses for you.

What if I don't make an open application, how many colleges can I apply to?
Original post by maria95JL
What if I don't make an open application, how many colleges can I apply to?

One.
Reply 66
i received an interview invitation from queens' today . . without bmat scores obviously so i guess they look at them afterwards ? :smile: makes me feel better as i'm sure section 2 was terrible !!
Original post by atwn
i received an interview invitation from queens' today . . without bmat scores obviously so i guess they look at them afterwards ? :smile: makes me feel better as i'm sure section 2 was terrible !!

Well done! What grades did you get for a levels and gcses if you don't mind me asking? :smile: ...I've applied to corpus...no reply as of yet haha
Reply 68
Does anyone know when Cambridge receives your BMAT score?

Because a lot of colleges have already given out interviews! :redface:
I've been invited to an interview at Robinson on the condition that I get a 5.5 average in Section 1 & 2 - this cheers me up a bit because I know I did far better in the first section than the second. Maybe I still have a chance :P But there's one general interview and two subject ones! All the more time to mess up.
trinty hall emailed me the other day saying theyre using bmat scores to decide who gets an interview this year, looks like im in for an instant rejection!
Reply 71
Original post by i_hate_ucas
trinty hall emailed me the other day saying theyre using bmat scores to decide who gets an interview this year, looks like im in for an instant rejection!

don't say that man, most colleges do this. I know a few with <5 in both S1 and S2 who applied to colleges that take the BMAT into account when deciding who to interview (King's and Selwyn), and both got interviews.
Wednesday !!!!!! :frown:
Reply 73
Original post by Insanity514
Cheers :smile:

I tried and failed sorry.

Original post by atwn

That's interesting, I wonder if you are part of a small group or if this is true for all their candidates. I guess time will tell, thanks

Original post by StrawberryLaces
I've been invited to an interview at Robinson on the condition that I get a 5.5 average in Section 1 & 2 - this cheers me up a bit because I know I did far better in the first section than the second. Maybe I still have a chance :P But there's one general interview and two subject ones! All the more time to mess up.

So they are looking for 5.5? Ok, thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by crimlex
don't say that man, most colleges do this. I know a few with <5 in both S1 and S2 who applied to colleges that take the BMAT into account when deciding who to interview (King's and Selwyn), and both got interviews.

I wonder whether realistically, with scores of less than 5, an offer would be made? Perhaps only with a very strong interview. Do you know if anyone with <5 actually got in?
Reply 75
Original post by battlette
I wonder whether realistically, with scores of less than 5, an offer would be made? Perhaps only with a very strong interview. Do you know if anyone with <5 actually got in?

none of my friends got in, but I have spoken to people at cambridge who have gotten in with sub-5 scores. Most of them got in through the pool though.

I think there was one person here on TSR who applied for Caius last year with 3.8, 5.4, 3A and was pooled by Murray Edwards.
Reply 76

Definitely, when I called Peterhouse the Admission Tutor made it really clear that a number of candidates were accepted with "disastrous" BMAT scores.
Reply 77
Original post by jokosor
Definitely, when I called Peterhouse the Admission Tutor made it really clear that a number of candidates were accepted with "disastrous" BMAT scores.

Disastrous for them is 5.8!! - Just kidding!
Reply 78
Disastrous for them is 5.8!! - Just kidding!

LOL no obviously much lower than that, that's a high B me thinks
Looks like I'm not being interviewed (well not 100% but the letter insinuates if you don't get 5.5 average - no interview). 4.7, 5.5 and 4A. Turns out I was about 3 raw marks away from being interviewed on Section 1! Bloody hell. All that extra revision for getting high UMS marks, filling out the CSAS form, extra-curricular reading and lastly BMAT prep has been pointless over 3 marks :s-smilie:.

Latest

Trending

Trending