The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
Lol are you suggesting that UCL doesn't have a long history of having international applicants?!

I didn't say that but LSE and Oxbridge have more Germans for instance (I can only speak for Germans here) and most Germans don't go to UCL, they prefer LSE and Oxbridge.
Reply 5301
Original post by WalkerPrince
Nope, there is one other applicant. His lecture will be on this week. Just me and him for Economics (Camb).

Wow, really? I'm quite surprised, everyone at the lectures including the lecturers seemed pretty clued up. So which college is your friend applying to? I hope it's not Churchill, i'd rather not come up against him.
Original post by nightmare91
I didn't say that but LSE and Oxbridge have more Germans for instance (I can only speak for Germans here) and most Germans don't go to UCL, they prefer LSE and Oxbridge.

You dont know what you are talking about ...have you ever been to UCL to research about it or its all in your mind and opinion ? For your own info , my econ tutorial group of 15 has students from , Netherlands , Hungary , Germany and Latvia then ofcourse Asian nerds and UK students , so its better to keep quiet than give wrong information here . If you are good enough you ll get in , UCL has a wide reputation of international students , so to suggest that they dont have knowledge about international qualifications is stupid . Typical all i know everything applicants on TSR trying to lecture everyone yet they know nothing , never stepped a foot at any of these universities yet you hear them giving out "advice" about how universities admit students . Why am i not surprised ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by zxh800
Wow, really? I'm quite surprised, everyone at the lectures including the lecturers seemed pretty clued up. So which college is your friend applying to? I hope it's not Churchill, i'd rather not come up against him.

wow their school is likeeeee insane at economics... if more economics applicants are like that we're screwed :P
Reply 5304
Original post by Investment Banker
You think its insane ? Haha , you really dont know how competitive it is to get into UCL econ and how highly regarded it is .....LSE , UCL are on par and nothing is different between the two , most applicants who got into LSE were rejected by UCL and vice versa , but you are right UCL wants the very best , period ! If you aint up for it , you wont make it .

Mate, for my qualification, the Romanian Baccalaureate (noted 1-10), Cambridge, Oxford and LSE are asking for at least 8 overall. UCL is asking for at least 9.5 overall with 10/10 on Maths M1 (Further Maths). You think there is such a big difference between UCL and Oxbridge + LSE?
Original post by lordvulture
wow their school is likeeeee insane at economics... if more economics applicants are like that we're screwed :P

I hope the unis see it this way :colone:
Original post by Investment Banker
You dont know what you are talking about ...have you ever been to UCL to research about it or its all in your mind and opinion ? For your own info , my econ tutorial group of 15 has students from , Netherlands , Hungary , Germany and Latvia then ofcourse Asian nerds and UK students , so its better to keep quiet than give wrong information here . If you are good enough you ll get in , UCL has a wide reputation of international students , so to suggest that they dont have knowledge about international qualifications is stupid . Typical all i know everything applicants on TSR trying to lecture everyone yet they know nothing , never stepped a foot at any of these universities yet you hear them giving out "advice" about how universities admit students . Why am i not surprised ?

Dude chill... I just stated what people told me. I didn't offend you on purpose or anything. Maybe the reason that they don't know about foreign qualifications due to a lack of Germans/other europeans is not that valid. But the fact that they don't know about many european qualifications is true. Or they just don't want us there, I don't know. But expecting Germans to have a 44/45 equivalent is just ridiculus if the standard offer for economics is A*AA or something. And the Spanish offer is ridiculus as well. So calm down and relax :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
I hope the unis see it this way :colone:

your friend in the lecture of capitalism and freedom should have applied for oxbridge lol, no economist in my school is anywhere near that insightful about economics :P
Reply 5308
has anyone had any rejections? I know some people don't want to post it, but I am interested as to the kind of people who get rejected and why. I know last year straight 3 A* people were getting rejections.
Original post by aalex
Mate, for my qualification, the Romanian Baccalaureate (noted 1-10), Cambridge, Oxford and LSE are asking for at least 8 overall. UCL is asking for at least 9.5 overall with 10/10 on Maths M1 (Further Maths). You think there is such a big difference between UCL and Oxbridge + LSE?

One thing you should know is the UCL econ is one of the most , if not the most , mathematical one in UK , more than any other top 5 , so they demand you to be excellent in Maths . As of difference , there is absolutely no difference at all if you are at any of the above top 5 unis you mentioned because they will all give you a great platform to start from . Anyone who tells you otherwise will be lying .
Original post by zxh800

Sorry if this sounds arrogant, but your main worry should be me- fellow Churchill applicant :colone:

lol jk I am not applying this year :awesome:
Something some of you may enjoy -

An Introduction to Milton Friedman - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAcaovuP84Q

Dunno why, but I have an urge to slap him. :redface: Can't put my finger on what it is...

Do you have any evidence or is that pure speculation? Being German doesn't qualify your answer as true lol
Do you have any evidence or is that pure speculation? Being German doesn't qualify your answer as true lol

I can't prove it of course it's just what people have told me :wink: The reason why germans want to study in the UK is usually because they want to study at oxbridge. Most Germans don't even know UCL which is a shame because it's a really good university. LSE is also pretty famous over here due to their big German society :smile:
I can't prove it of course it's just what people have told me :wink: The reason why germans want to study in the UK is usually because they want to study at oxbridge. Most Germans don't even know UCL which is a shame because it's a really good university. LSE is also pretty famous over here due to their big German society :smile:

Nah, the reason why most Germans (and all internationals for that matter) want to study in the UK is usually because (good) UK universities have one of, if not the best undergrad systems in the entire world.
Nah, the reason why most Germans (and all internationals for that matter) want to study in the UK is usually because (good) UK universities have one of, if not the best undergrad systems in the entire world.

That's true plus the overall experience. University life in Germany is sooooo boring. We don't have student halls, you either live at home or get an apartment. It is like going to school except your classmates look a bit older :tongue:
Reply 5316
Original post by Tomatochuckers

lol jk I am not applying this year :awesome:

You're not even going to bother applying this year? I thought you were planning for a gap year but surely it would be a waste not to have a stab at applying?
Original post by Tateco
You're not even going to bother applying this year? I thought you were planning for a gap year but surely it would be a waste not to have a stab at applying?

Lol don't think I mentioned here that my predictions were reduced from A*AA to AAAC (with the inclusion of further maths- i.e. the C).
With no economics, and a C in further maths, there is no point whatsoever to apply to the unis I was aiming for, and that is coming from someone who is usually an optimist!

No matter, I'll reapply as a much stronger applicant (hopefully) :wink:
Reply 5318
Original post by Tomatochuckers
Lol don't think I mentioned here that my predictions were reduced from A*AA to AAAC (with the inclusion of further maths- i.e. the C).
With no economics, and a C in further maths, there is no point whatsoever to apply to the unis I was aiming for, and that is coming from someone who is usually an optimist!

No matter, I'll reapply as a much stronger applicant (hopefully) :wink:

:eek: Why did they do that?!
Original post by Tateco
:eek: Why did they do that?!

Long story- I got a D in the FM mock which I did not know about till September, had to cram in 3 months work into 1, (plus made stupid mistakes). So the C was understandable but they lowered my A* prediction in normal maths to an A as they thought I would not be able to cope (despite getting 276/300). But tbh A*AAC would still be pushing it.

Latest

Trending

Trending