The Student Room Group

What stereotypes are attached to girls who attend each of the following schools:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HARRY PUTAH
I play lacrosse and do weightlifting. You a horsey hooray type then my dear girl?

Whats more is, you can shop at primark with me without shame! :biggrin:

Lacrosse? You'll fit right in, though watch yourself, I think girls end to be more violent on the pitch than guys :s-smilie:

I'm not actually, solid south Londoner at heart me, I don't do that country stuff :biggrin:

I do shop at Primark without shame! I've bought some great stuff there. I'm notoriously cheap :tongue:

As a matter of fact my family is Northern, my mother was born in Cumbria and my Dad up on the border. All my cousins live in Newcastle and Durham. Though they take the mick out of me for saying 'Bath' as 'Barth' :biggrin:
Reply 41
Original post by Timon
Benenden?

Rodean?

Cheltenham Ladies College?

Down House?

St. Swithun's

Tudor Hall?

Wycombe Abbey?

St. Paul's Girls' School - London?

St. Catherine's - Guildford?

St. George's - Sunningdale?

I used to play all these schools at lacrosse (i went to st james, the supposed non-slag girl's school for not-so-rich kids, i think our nickname was 'st lames')

you really can't stereotype everyone from these schools. sure, i know someone who got expelled from wycombe for taking crack...

why don't you just give them a break...? they're just students like you, and only a product of their upbringing.

you also forgot Lady Eleanor Holles and Putney High!
Original post by Historophilia
Lacrosse? You'll fit right in, though watch yourself, I think girls end to be more violent on the pitch than guys :s-smilie:

I'm not actually, solid south Londoner at heart me, I don't do that country stuff :biggrin:

I do shop at Primark without shame! I've bought some great stuff there. I'm notoriously cheap :tongue:

As a matter of fact my family is Northern, my mother was born in Cumbria and my Dad up on the border. All my cousins live in Newcastle and Durham. Though they take the mick out of me for saying 'Bath' as 'Barth' :biggrin:

WOmens lacrosse?

I smash guys with glee on the mens lacrosse so I have no problems giving it or taking some off the women. if they can catch me :tongue:

You are posh if you say "barth" instead of 'bath'. Slap some sense into you i would!
WOmens lacrosse?

I smash guys with glee on the mens lacrosse so I have no problems giving it or taking some off the women. if they can catch me :tongue:

You are posh if you say "barth" instead of 'bath'. Slap some sense into you i would!

Lacrosse has historically been played by public girls schools (along with hockey, netball etc.) though it has recently spread more. Apparently loads of guys in America now play it and not really girls.

Women are terrifying on the lacrosse pitch, me seem to have some sort of set of taboos when it come to violence but women....? I used to try and hide when I had to play!

Of course I posh! Yeesh! Watch it though, i'm from south london, we stab people here! Innit blud.
Reply 44
Original post by Timon
...and no social life, play sports, learn to interact with others or just the free time it takes to think and work out their identity and dreams for the future. Or how about taking time away from the calculus books once in a while to learn a little social coordination?:rolleyes:

My sister is at Rodean just now and was complaining abou exactly this. It's not about 'not wanting to do well' but it is about wanting to be a well-rounded person...and not just an exam machine!
Lacrosse has historically been played by public girls schools (along with hockey, netball etc.) though it has recently spread more. Apparently loads of guys in America now play it and not really girls.

Women are terrifying on the lacrosse pitch, me seem to have some sort of set of taboos when it come to violence but women....? I used to try and hide when I had to play!

Of course I posh! Yeesh! Watch it though, i'm from south london, we stab people here! Innit blud.

I know women can get ugly on the pitch, I'd find it quite cute if some girl smaller or around my size (6'3" 14.5 stone) tried to physically confront me.

The ground is cold and hard at this time of the year! :biggrin:

LAX in the US is another level entirely when it comes to competition.

Aww posh birds. They tend to be freaks behind closed doors :wink:
I know women can get ugly on the pitch, I'd find it quite cute if some girl smaller or around my size (6'3" 14.5 stone) tried to physically confront me.

The ground is cold and hard at this time of the year! :biggrin:

LAX in the US is another level entirely when it comes to competition.

Aww posh birds. They tend to be freaks behind closed doors :wink:

The little ones are usually the nastiest, they go for the knee caps :P

They can be yes, it's all the having to proper and decorous in public and be a credit to the school, it has it's backlash elsewhere :wink:
The little ones are usually the nastiest, they go for the knee caps :P

They can be yes, it's all the having to proper and decorous in public and be a credit to the school, it has it's backlash elsewhere :wink:

My experience of girls in rugby and Judo is that they think they can take a tackle or hit but wonder WTF happened when they are on their arse. :biggrin:

They can be?

I see you talk from experience :sexface: "say bath for me babe"
Reply 48
I heard grammer school girl Joan Bakewell http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Bakewell on the radio over the summer saying at Cambridge she was surrounded by Rodean girls who honked at her like a flock of geese for her northern pronunciation.
Sounds like out of date information though.
Reply 49
Original post by Timon
Yes, I'm aware of that, but I'm also aware that just 20 years ago 95% of the student body at a posh boarding school would have been full boarders and almost all British.

I wonder if this Leafue Table culture has just gotten so way out of hand that these school administraitors think about nothing else. Many of the British parents complain that these posh boarding schools have changed drastically since their days of attendence. Kids no longer have much free time to just think and day-dream. With the Chinese invasion came unrealistic work ethics and heavier emphasis on the maths and sciences, to the detriment of the arts and humainties. Calculus and Chemistry are given greater weight than British History and English Literature. The British girls complain that the capacity for work amongst their Chinese classmates is unbelievable. However, with all this work comes boring worker ants, with little appreciation for aesthetics, a lack of intellectual balance and woefully underdeveloped social skills. Mandarin Chinese has replaced French as the second language, and Latin and Ancient Greek are pretty much done away with altogether in order to fit in more mathmatics and science modules.

Not only that, I'm also told the Asian students tend to not only be cliquey (which I can understand), but are also rather cut-throat when it comes to competition. The British value of fair-play and fraternaty is scoffed at in replace of getting ahead at whatever cost.:frown:

Are the same complaints seen at male boarding schools in Britain? And if not, how come the British males there are better able to compete with Chinese males than British females are with respect to Chinese females?
Reply 50
Original post by uprising23
My sister is at Rodean just now and was complaining abou exactly this. It's not about 'not wanting to do well' but it is about wanting to be a well-rounded person...and not just an exam machine!

Rodean has actively recruited so many Chinese girls that all students are now required to study Mandarin Chinese. At the expense of many deserving Englsih girls, limited and coveted places at Rodean were filled with Chinese nationals. Don't think this has not gone unoticed by the Surrey set. A backlash has already begun as many old girls stopped donating. A lot of the old W.A.S.P.y establishment types who were 3rd and 4th genration alumni of Rodean have turned to sending their daughters to schools with--shall we say, a little less international flavour. Schools such as Benenden, St. Mary's Calne, St. Swithun's, Downe House, etc. have picked up many from the old blue-blood, Church and Crown crowd.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by Timon
Rodean has actively recruited so many Chinese girls that all students are now required to study Mandarin Chinese. At the expense of many deserving Englsih girls, limited and coveted places at Rodean were filled with Chinese nationals. Don't think this has not gone unoticed by the Surrey set. A backlash has already begun as many old girls stopped donating. A lot of the old W.A.S.P.y establishment types who were 3rd and 4th genration alumni of Rodean have turned to sending their daughters to schools with, shall we say, a little less international flavour. Schools such as Benenden, St. Mary's Calne, Winchester, Downe House, etc. have picked up many from the old blue-blood, Church and Crown crowd.

What is the world coming to?
Reply 52
Original post by Timon
Rodean has actively recruited so many Chinese girls that all students are now required to study Mandarin Chinese. At the expense of many deserving Englsih girls, limited and coveted places at Rodean were filled with Chinese nationals. Don't think this has not gone unoticed by the Surrey set. A backlash has already begun as many old girls stopped donating. A lot of the old W.A.S.P.y establishment types who were 3rd and 4th genration alumni of Rodean have turned to sending their daughters to schools with--shall we say, a little less international flavour. Schools such as Benenden, St. Mary's Calne, St. Swithun's, Downe House, etc. have picked up many from the old blue-blood, Church and Crown crowd.

Quite right too, my sister is probably too old to leave now (shes in 6th form) but her experience has not been what my parents were expecting!
Reply 53
This is an enlightening thread! I think stereotypes matter and we should work with them rather against them. With that in mind, I set up a thread asking about which schools (many of which are on this list), help to develop girls to be women (rather than sour grapes)...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1987259

I'm not convinced that the argument is purely academic vs well-rounded student. Instead, I think schools should develop both of these whilst making sure individuals develop to be sure of themselves as a guy/girl...
St Swithun's = Old-Money, White Anglo-Saxon Protestant (WASP) posh. Probably the most 'old school' of the all-girls boarding schools. Lots of blonde girls with double-barrelled surnames.

Benenden = The school for party girls and socialites. Academic rigour is not as valued as social interaction. If you're longing for strict discipline, Benenden is not the place.

Roedean = Used to be more St Swithun's than St Swithun's, now it is more like Shanghai Girls High School. English is an alternate language. School did a Faustian deal and sold out a long cherished tradition for top foreign money.
In china you do not get rich without either bending over or greasing many palms and the line of children this process creates are all for chinese propaganda, force of will and peoples army ideals.

That's true. I live and study in Hong Kong right now (please don't judge me) and when the Mainlander Chinese girls who went to study in the UK come to Hong Kong, they literally tell me that they're doing it "for the country and to make their country proud of them." And I'm just like...uh okay, wow. That's serious commitment.
Many of the old guard are not happy with what the latest Headmistress at Roedean has done to that once great British institution. The feeling is she and the board sold out a couple hundred years of dignified excellence for the quick exchange of Chinese money. And it doesn't look as though her Faustian deal has paid off, as league table rankings actually sank considerably. Many assumed, including most of the new people in high powerful positions at Roedean, that recruiting as many Chinese students as possible, converting the curriculum to concentrate almost entirely on maths and sciences and transforming the educational philosophy into an all work and no play environment would have improved league table rankings; however, this just was not the case. So much for selling your soul to the middle-class devil of trendiness and not relying on centuries of noble tradition....This is what happens when the Islington clique, the Guardianistas of this world, are put in positions of power.
Original post by Timon
Benenden?

Rodean?

Cheltenham Ladies College?

Down House?

St. Swithun's

Tudor Hall?

Wycombe Abbey?

St. Paul's Girls' School - London?

St. Catherine's - Guildford?

St. George's - Sunningdale?

Roedean = Serious old SE of England money/Eton for girls
Benenden = Serious old money posh but for girls not smart enough to get into Rodean/Harrow for girls
Cheltenham Ladies College = Foreign money
Downe House = Sporty posh girls
St Swithun's = Former old British money, now mostly upper middle class girls from London and the Home Counties who board during the week and take go back to London for the weekend. Still probably school for the most clever girls in Britain. Large proportion go on to Oxbridge/Winchester for girls.
Tudor Hall = ?
Wycombe Abbey = Social climbers, daughters of new money City spivs
St Paul's Girl's London = Daughters of middle-class parents from Golders Green who can't afford boarding school - more social climbers on the make....See Wycombe Abbey
St Catherine's Guildford = Insignificant
St George's Sunningdale = Musicians and American ex-pats living in Berkshire.....Isn't that where all the Yanks live

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending