The Student Room Group

BUNAC Work Canada

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JoeyeoJ
Hey,

I'm thinking of applying to go in 2012.

From what I understand, applications re-open in Mid-January, so I'm trying to save up money at the moment and then will have a proper look nearer the time.

Sounds pretty great though. This thread is really helpful!

Yep, that's now my plan, am eagerly awaiting an email from Bunac telling me visa applications are open again!
Reply 381
Original post by fiona344
No probs, it's a good way to get money while you look for something better. Do you have regular shifts and your own corner?

I'm up for a meet on Thursday. When/ where?

I'll put a suggestion forward- Wide Open (139A Spadina Avenue) at 8. Although if people don't reply in time we might have to make it a different day...
Reply 382
Original post by lazyswot
I'll put a suggestion forward- Wide Open (139A Spadina Avenue) at 8. Although if people don't reply in time we might have to make it a different day...

It's already been postponed a week for that very reason!

I'll be there.
Reply 383
It's already been postponed a week for that very reason!

I'll be there.

OK, then it's on!

I'll leave my mobile number here (canadian one) in case people read this entry and want to come along, or people can't find the bar or whatever.

My number's 647-781-4078 and my name's Becky. And if you get to the bar and don't know who to say hi to, I'm the one with curly-ish ginger hair. :smile:
Reply 384
Original post by lazyswot
OK, then it's on!

I'll leave my mobile number here (canadian one) in case people read this entry and want to come along, or people can't find the bar or whatever.

My number's 647-781-4078 and my name's Becky. And if you get to the bar and don't know who to say hi to, I'm the one with curly-ish ginger hair. :smile:

Did you get back okay? Next time you karaoke!
Reply 385
Original post by BillyM
Did you get back okay? Next time you karaoke!

yes, i just caught the last subway :smile: and next time, I promise!
Reply 386
Anyone want to go out tomorrow? I'm going downtown, might stop by the Canadiana even though i'm not staying there, or drinks if people are up for it.

Original post by BillyM

How did your trip to Blue Mountain go? Would you recommend it as a place to go as a trip from Toronto? (Can't believe I met you by chance, and got recognized off the internet lol)
Reply 387
I'm leaving a week today for Vancouver! Hopefully going to find work in a ski resort in BC or Alberta. In a bit of panic since arriving back from three months away crossing Europe (UK to Turkey and back via 18 countries!)...........selling the car, sorting everything from that trip, sorting things for this trip...agarhhh. Good luck to anyone else leaving soon....is there is anyone?
Reply 388
Anyone want to go out tomorrow? I'm going downtown, might stop by the Canadiana even though i'm not staying there, or drinks if people are up for it.

How did your trip to Blue Mountain go? Would you recommend it as a place to go as a trip from Toronto? (Can't believe I met you by chance, and got recognized off the internet lol)

Discuss Blue Mountains tonight. Dogs *******s, can't go all out though as I'm working the following morning (working at the Canadiana now, ha!). And I'll be around for the BBQ but got some training to do after it. Off to wash dishes now!
Hey there,

I'm looking at apply for this next year... Just wondering what sort of places you're living in and how much is it costing you?
Reply 390
Original post by EatingOnlyApples
Hey there,

I'm looking at apply for this next year... Just wondering what sort of places you're living in and how much is it costing you?

Where you looking to go? I'm staying in a (furnished) basement of someones house, costing $600/month all in, but prices vary depending on the city. I found it on Kijiji, and craigslist is also a good place to look. If you go for you're own apartment through an agency then you'll most likely have to sign a 1 year lease, and possibly provide references so most people find the classifieds are the way to go! Lots of people meet in hostels and then team up to share a house between them, which I think gets the best value.
Reply 391
I'm from Canada, and have yet to have met someone from the UK! I didn't even know this program existed! Its strange because for me, the UK seems like an amazing place to be. I applied for university their next year. In terms of Canada, a really great place to live or work is in Mississauga which is the greater Toronto area. It is right next to Toronto, but more suburban. It retains a city excitement with a family feel! If anyone needs any advice about places to work, or locations to live, feel free to pm me!
Reply 392
I'm flying to Toronto on the 3rd December, and I have a job at Blue Moutain for the winter which starts on the 5th. I'll bookmark this thread as it has some useful information and maybe I'll actually get round to meeting some of you in person!

My flight cost £229, with Air Transat, and was the cheapest I could find. I'm looking at insurance now and the cheapest so far has been £124.44 from essentialtravel.co.uk. This is for a year and I haven't an indepth look at their policy wording yet. After getting the insurance I'll begin looking at hostels / hotels.

And I'm planning to take a small suitcase instead of a rucksack as I've been told the latter are heavy to carry around.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 393
Original post by greyshark
I'm flying to Toronto on the 3rd December, and I have a job at Blue Moutain for the winter which starts on the 5th. I'll bookmark this thread as it has some useful information and maybe I'll actually get round to meeting some of you in person!

My flight cost £229, with Air Transat, and was the cheapest I could find. I'm looking at insurance now and the cheapest so far has been £124.44 from essentialtravel.co.uk. This is for a year and I haven't an indepth look at their policy wording yet. After getting the insurance I'll begin looking at hostels / hotels.

And I'm planning to take a small suitcase instead of a rucksack as I've been told the latter are heavy to carry around.

Congrats on getting a job lined up before you go! You get to skip past the crappy job hunting experience out here. Got a cheap flight too! Either you did your research properly or got very lucky indeed!

If you're working at Blue Mountain I imagine you'll want to ski/snowboard, so check it's covered by that insurance (often isn't with cheap policies).

Are you staying in Toronto before going up to Blue Mountain? If you are, Canadiana hostel's pretty awesome, HI's good if you're just passing through too.

Lots of people take rucksacks, but I don't see the appeal. I much prefer wheeling my holdall along behind me than breaking my back carrying it. Why just take a small one though? You'll most likely be taking back more than you take out, so some extra packing capacity wouldn't go amiss imo.
Reply 394

Make sure the insurance policy covers you for working in Canada. Sounds obvious, but most insurance policies just cover for normal travelling holidays, not working holidays. How long are you going out for? If you're planning to go for a year, then a good insurance policy to have (in my opinion) is one that lets you return to your home country in an emergency (family death). A lot of policies don't allow you to return for a short period at all, usually it would invalidate your insurance completely.

I always use Ace Travel insurance for working holidays - they cover you for a lot of different types of work (there's a list) and they allow you to return home for a short trip if necessary. This could be for an emergency or something like a wedding or Christmas/Birthday etc. Also, you can buy a short time period (say, four months) and then extend it later. Useful for me as I didn't have much money when I left for Canada a few weeks ago!! They also cover a lot of 'extreme' activities that others wouldn't, which was great in New Zealand when I was bungy-jumping and skydiving.....plus they have unlimited medical cover, good for Canada. I don't know anything about claiming though, since I've never had to.

Just looked though, it's a little bit more expensive than the one you found (£150 a year), so I'd compare the policy wordings.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 395
Thanks for your help. I looked closer at essentialtravel.co.uk and I found they don't cover winter sports (though someone else may find it good value for money). At the moment ace travel insurance is the cheapest I've found.

I'll be staying in a hostel / hotel for the first 2 nights then the plan is Blue Mountain will pick me up from downtown Toronto. I've heard good things about Canadiana and HI (mostly from this thread!)

I wish I hadn't gone through BUNAC, which was £254 I didn't have to pay. This is the first year you can apply directly to the canadian embassy (indeed, you have to - you can no longer apply through BUNAC). Though they have been useful a few times when I've had questions, about how to fill in the application for example.

How long have you two been in Canada for? What jobs have you done over there so far?
Where you looking to go? I'm staying in a (furnished) basement of someones house, costing $600/month all in, but prices vary depending on the city. I found it on Kijiji, and craigslist is also a good place to look. If you go for you're own apartment through an agency then you'll most likely have to sign a 1 year lease, and possibly provide references so most people find the classifieds are the way to go! Lots of people meet in hostels and then team up to share a house between them, which I think gets the best value.

Ok cool, thanks for that. I think I'd be heading to Toronto and would definitely want a houseshare/flatshare.

Also, can anyone please tell me what is needed to complete the visa application? Do I need apply for criminal check around now to submit with it? Thanks.
Reply 397
Thanks for your help. I looked closer at essentialtravel.co.uk and I found they don't cover winter sports (though someone else may find it good value for money). At the moment ace travel insurance is the cheapest I've found.

I'll be staying in a hostel / hotel for the first 2 nights then the plan is Blue Mountain will pick me up from downtown Toronto. I've heard good things about Canadiana and HI (mostly from this thread!)

I wish I hadn't gone through BUNAC, which was £254 I didn't have to pay. This is the first year you can apply directly to the canadian embassy (indeed, you have to - you can no longer apply through BUNAC). Though they have been useful a few times when I've had questions, about how to fill in the application for example.

How long have you two been in Canada for? What jobs have you done over there so far?

When something sounds too good to be true it often is, unfortunately. i went with Ace too after seeing it recommended here, it's also mentioned often on facebook, so it's widely used. No idea what claiming is like, had a few close calls but fortunately haven't had to claim yet.

Canadiana is full of people with WHVs, so it's good for meeting people, I've probably checked in there more than anyone in the history of the world, and it was nice seeing the same old faces! HI's more like a typical hostel with people staying a few days before moving on to the next place.

I didn't know Blue Mountain picked people up from downtown, I thought you had to make your own way up. I spoke to them at a job fair thing, but they never got back to me :frown:. It's fine though, after handing out newspapers, I got an amazing weekend job over the autumn months and what on paper looks like a semi decent full time, degree relevant job. It's out in the suburbs though which are pretty boring.

I regret going through BUNAC too. I use the SWAP service because I've paid for it but i'm sure i'd manage just fine without it. Went to my first event organised by them at the weekend, and maybe only 8/10 people were at it which surprised me.

Original post by EatingOnlyApples
Ok cool, thanks for that. I think I'd be heading to Toronto and would definitely want a houseshare/flatshare.

Also, can anyone please tell me what is needed to complete the visa application? Do I need apply for criminal check around now to submit with it? Thanks.

I've heard the scheme has changed yet again (so I'll need to check aswell so I can stay another year). Last year you had to have a criminal check, I'd presume you'd need one again this year, and it takes a couple of weeks, so now would be a good time to get it. You also need a passport photo signed by a responsible person. Think that's all you needed in advance. Oh and money in you're bank account. Once released the forms are all pretty straightforward.
When something sounds too good to be true it often is, unfortunately. i went with Ace too after seeing it recommended here, it's also mentioned often on facebook, so it's widely used. No idea what claiming is like, had a few close calls but fortunately haven't had to claim yet.

Canadiana is full of people with WHVs, so it's good for meeting people, I've probably checked in there more than anyone in the history of the world, and it was nice seeing the same old faces! HI's more like a typical hostel with people staying a few days before moving on to the next place.

I didn't know Blue Mountain picked people up from downtown, I thought you had to make your own way up. I spoke to them at a job fair thing, but they never got back to me :frown:. It's fine though, after handing out newspapers, I got an amazing weekend job over the autumn months and what on paper looks like a semi decent full time, degree relevant job. It's out in the suburbs though which are pretty boring.

I regret going through BUNAC too. I use the SWAP service because I've paid for it but i'm sure i'd manage just fine without it. Went to my first event organised by them at the weekend, and maybe only 8/10 people were at it which surprised me.

I've heard the scheme has changed yet again (so I'll need to check aswell so I can stay another year). Last year you had to have a criminal check, I'd presume you'd need one again this year, and it takes a couple of weeks, so now would be a good time to get it. You also need a passport photo signed by a responsible person. Think that's all you needed in advance. Oh and money in you're bank account. Once released the forms are all pretty straightforward.

Only for the permit itself. They have finally seen sense and for the 2012 you're required to show proof of funds at the port of entry now with a bank statement issued maximum a week before you leave. As far as I understand you no longer need to have the $2500 at the time of application :biggrin: With this in mind I expect it could result in a quicker uptake in applications
Reply 399
Original post by ChrisBan
Only for the permit itself. They have finally seen sense and for the 2012 you're required to show proof of funds at the port of entry now with a bank statement issued maximum a week before you leave. As far as I understand you no longer need to have the $2500 at the time of application :biggrin: With this in mind I expect it could result in a quicker uptake in applications

That makes so much more sense! First they stopped BUNAC, and now changed the proof of funds, good to see them making improvements year on year. Hopefully the viasa won't run out before I get mine!

Quick Reply

Latest