The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I had a bit of a drunken thought last night. Do you reckon drinking a pint/litre of home made ORT before you go to bed would help alleviate a hang over?

/Ponder.
Does such a website exist where you can type in a person's list of symptoms and it gives you a differential diagnosis?
Original post by Isometrix
Does such a website exist where you can type in a person's list of symptoms and it gives you a differential diagnosis?

WebMD? Not great tho.
Original post by RollerBall
I had a bit of a drunken thought last night. Do you reckon drinking a pint/litre of home made ORT before you go to bed would help alleviate a hang over?

/Ponder.

I wondered this too! ORT tastes minging but I guess when you're drunk you won't even care about the taste.
Original post by rainbowbex
What do you do on call? Ours seem so boring, unfortunately!

Just shadow whatever doctor I happen to go with, maybe take bloods, cannulate, do ABGs occassionally, and just help out with any paperwork stuff. Luckily the docs I tend to go with are really excellent at giving off the cuff teaching as we go around so I get quite a lot out of it.
Starting paeds tomorrow... grumble.
Original post by Kinkerz
Starting paeds tomorrow... grumble.

Looking forward to it myself, but a 4th year subject for us.
Original post by Mushi_master
Looking forward to it myself, but a 4th year subject for us.

I'd probably feel more optimistic if I felt like I'd actually done some medicine. In semester one I'll've done surgery (first rotation, just getting used to things), psychiatry and paediatrics.

We do pretty much everything every year (exception being obs/gynae, which is 4th year). Has its advantages and disadvantages. Not sure which I'd prefer.
Original post by Kinkerz
I'd probably feel more optimistic if I felt like I'd actually done some medicine. In semester one I'll've done surgery (first rotation, just getting used to things), psychiatry and paediatrics.

We do pretty much everything every year (exception being obs/gynae, which is 4th year). Has its advantages and disadvantages. Not sure which I'd prefer.

Absolutely loved it dude! Paeds has been great fun, I imagined it to be like embryology stuff for some reason lol, how wrong I was :biggrin:

If you like general medicine, you'll like paeds. Especially if you're a friendly person.

If you're not, just put up with it for a short while haha :biggrin:
Original post by Philosoraptor
Absolutely loved it dude! Paeds has been great fun, I imagined it to be like embryology stuff for some reason lol, how wrong I was :biggrin:

If you like general medicine, you'll like paeds.

I hope I share you enthusiasm!

Especially if you're a friendly person.

If you're not, just put up with it for a short while haha :biggrin:

Depends how much sleep I've had...
Original post by Kinkerz
I hope I share you enthusiasm!

Depends how much sleep I've had...

As aforementioned, my paeds(and GP and dermatology) exam is in two weeks - I bet I won't be liking paeds so much come the 5th december haha.

What med school are you at and what hospital will you be going to? (feel free to PM me rather than say it in public)
Original post by DexterM
I wondered this too! ORT tastes minging but I guess when you're drunk you won't even care about the taste.

I think it should work perfectly. It does taste a bit grim but when I'm battered I think I'd rather stick out a pint or two of that and avoid a hangover.

I wonder if I could do it for my intercalation or whether getting patients wasted to give them ORT and get them to rank their hangovers with or without would be unethical...
As aforementioned, my paeds(and GP and dermatology) exam is in two weeks - I bet I won't be liking paeds so much come the 5th december haha.

What med school are you at and what hospital will you be going to? (feel free to PM me rather than say it in public)

Dermaholiday?

I'm at Keele, but I'll PM you the hospital.
Does anyone have any good sites for cancer? I really never learnt leukaemia/lymphom (Hodgkin's/Non-H) and I don't really understand what cells are affected and what it all means.

I know I should have learnt this in 2nd/3rd year, but can anyone help, it's doing my head in.

Thanks x
Does anyone have any good sites for cancer? I really never learnt leukaemia/lymphom (Hodgkin's/Non-H) and I don't really understand what cells are affected and what it all means.

I know I should have learnt this in 2nd/3rd year, but can anyone help, it's doing my head in.

Thanks x

What do you need to know? I find it quite helpful to split the leukaemias into a little grid, with acute/chronic down the side and myeloid/lymphoid across the top, and then in each square you write cellular origin, demographics, classical mutations, treatment and prognosis. I used Lecture Notes on Haematology for my revision - I think you can access most of it online via googlebooks.

Lymphoma can be split into Hodgkin's/NHL, and then NHL subdivided into (IIRC) DLBL and "others." The demographics, treatment and prognosis for Hodgkin's are very different from NHL.

I'm not sure how much you're likely to need to know for exams, but doubt they'd want loads of technical detail.
(edited 12 years ago)
So, I've passed my written finals and now in my final year have a two day OSCE to pass in June before I can graduate as a Doctor. However, I feel like I've hit a slump.

I do feel that I've lost a lot of my knowledge since finals and that I want to try and hit the 'next level' in terms of medicine.

As I want to be a medic does anyone think that preparing for MRCP would be a beneficial step or would I be missing something in between?

-TLP
Original post by ThisLittlePiggy
So, I've passed my written finals and now in my final year have a two day OSCE to pass in June before I can graduate as a Doctor. However, I feel like I've hit a slump.

I do feel that I've lost a lot of my knowledge since finals and that I want to try and hit the 'next level' in terms of medicine.

As I want to be a medic does anyone think that preparing for MRCP would be a beneficial step or would I be missing something in between?

-TLP

As it currently stands, you won't be able to take MRCP until you're an F2, so starting to prepare now might be a bit of a waste of effort really.

If you want to do something useful with your time rather than just showing up to placement etc, how about trying to get a decent audit done, or a bit of research? This is the main reason why I'm glad I had finals right at the end, otherwise I think I'd have felt a bit like I was just going through the motions in final year.
Original post by Helenia
As it currently stands, you won't be able to take MRCP until you're an F2, so starting to prepare now might be a bit of a waste of effort really.

If you want to do something useful with your time rather than just showing up to placement etc, how about trying to get a decent audit done, or a bit of research? This is the main reason why I'm glad I had finals right at the end, otherwise I think I'd have felt a bit like I was just going through the motions in final year.

Good suggestions! I've already got a cheeky A&E audit on the cards for January and I'm trying to get stuck in with teaching also.

I'm currently on Psych, which I think is helping me feel like I'm not retaining any medicine whatsoever hence trying to get studying again except I don't want to just aim for that Finals level. I want to give myself the best head start to F1 as I can possible manage in the next 6 months before graduation.
Reply 6778
Original post by ThisLittlePiggy

I'm currently on Psych, which I think is helping me feel like I'm not retaining any medicine whatsoever hence...

:eek: Do some ward cover shadowing with potential for absolute for anything & everything medical problems (that are often fairly neglected) or some liaison work for clever ahah, 'it is organic, afterall' diagnoses? :tongue:
Original post by Elles
:eek: Do some ward cover shadowing with potential for absolute for anything & everything medical problems (that are often fairly neglected) or some liaison work for clever ahah, 'it is organic, afterall' diagnoses? :tongue:

I've been here for 4 weeks already, seen bugger all except throwing the BNF at patients, and have 4 to go.

However, from now on I shall endeavour to investigate the merest sniffle for promise of something more juicy :holmes:

Latest

Trending

Trending