The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9440
Original post by laurie:)
looool well £70 of it was the ukcat, £20 was the application, so really its about £90 on books - and of that a couple are just my interest :tongue:

an interview at newcastle would set me back a good £100 and one for st andrews even more!

(not that im complaining if i get an interview :tongue: )

ahh yes forgot about having to pay for the UKCAT and UCAS app! Now it does seem to be really adding up...
I've applied at aberdeen but not for medicine, so luckily I won't have to make a trek up there for an interview!
Original post by loz876
ahh yes forgot about having to pay for the UKCAT and UCAS app! Now it does seem to be really adding up...
I've applied at aberdeen but not for medicine, so luckily I won't have to make a trek up there for an interview!

who knew it would be so expensive! competetive, yes, but expensive?

i really really want an interview though! (although not just yet cause its hard enough revising for mocks, doing homework and prepping for another interview) :tongue:
Original post by Normandy114
Odds are, buying a railcard now would have already paid for itself from just that one journey. They're only £30 a year, and you get 1/3 off all rail travel, absolute bargain! I think you can get local ones for even cheaper too.

If I get an interview I'll be looking at either a 360 mile drive, or an even longer train journey.

Really? I didn't even realise they were that cheap, gonna pop into a station tomorrow and get one. Really want to travel the UK a bit either way. :p:

Plus you'd be all groggy from the journey which would put your interview performance down. :frown: I wish I had friends at all my unis, would be so good to get to site see the city with them!

I luckily already have a railcard :biggrin: still looking at around £50 though, and that's only if I can stay at my sister's bf's house in Newcastle the night before (he goes to the uni), if not more like £90 to get a train at around 6am :frown:

Hopefully he'll be fine with it, esp if it's only for one night. And ouchhh, 6am, you'd have to be up at like 4am or something. Fingers crossed that it won't come to that :p:
Original post by loz876

I've got to buy a passport for my Kings interview :zomg: so that's £77 gone, not to mention transport...
this application cycle is becoming a bit dear. spent around £170 already on the application/ukcat/books and i haven't even thought about needing to buy train tickets anywhere :/

Try doing it twice and then you're very poor :emo: If I include travel and everything my total is starting to creep nearer £300 than £200 :eek: I could never understand why I never had any money last year until I realised that it was all down to ucas/ukcat/prep/etc :frown: I wonder if secretly they reject so many people just to get more money out of us! :ninja:

Original post by Joseppea
I've got to buy a passport for my Kings interview :zomg: so that's £77 gone, not to mention transport...

Seriously?! :eek: Why? If it's for identification can you not get a letter on school/college headed paper, with your picture, your details and stuff and get your tutor/head to sign it? I know some uni's allow it but not sure about it. It seems a shame to have to buy a passport purely for your interview :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9445
this application cycle is becoming a bit dear. spent around £170 already on the application/ukcat/books and i haven't even thought about needing to buy train tickets anywhere :/

imagine paying for 4 flights for interviews. International students. :eek:
Insane amount of money to get into an uni!
Reply 9446
Original post by apple17
imagine paying for 4 flights for interviews. International students. :eek:
Insane amount of money to get into an uni!

Those flight tickets are nothing compared to the actual university fees. :frown:
Reply 9447
Original post by Vulpes
Those flight tickets are nothing compared to the actual university fees. :frown:

True say. :frown:
Honestly wish med school was an easier process here rather than 13 years of just schooling. :rolleyes:
Reply 9448
Original post by Vulpes

Working full time each summer won't even pay for half of the fees for each year :frown:
Reply 9449
Original post by elle246
I wish mine was then! :frown:
but unfortunately its on the 6th of December, leaving me with hardly any time to prepare! :s-smilie:

Hey..my interviews on the 5th so I'm in the same boat..I literally feel like I have no time to prepare for this :frown:

I have to renew my passport too !
But luckily my interviews are 1-2 weeks before it expires :colondollar:
Original post by Nash24
Hey..my interviews on the 5th so I'm in the same boat..I literally feel like I have no time to prepare for this :frown:

If I gave you a year would you feel any more prepared? Everyone feels nervous before an interview.
Original post by Nash24

Where is your interview? I have one on the same day at SGUL ..
Original post by Quackers93

Seriously?! :eek: Why? If it's for identification can you not get a letter on school/college headed paper, with your picture, your details and stuff and get your tutor/head to sign it? I know some uni's allow it but not sure about it. It seems a shame to have to buy a passport purely for your interview :redface:

I know :frown:

They're letting me use my provisional driving licence as proof for the interview but "no offers can be made without a passport being shown." :frown:
I want an interview invite already :frown:
I know :frown:

They're letting me use my provisional driving licence as proof for the interview but "no offers can be made without a passport being shown." :frown:

Seriously :O :frown: That sucks, you shouldn't have to buy a passport to go to med school :s-smilie: It's stupid how they just assume everyone has a passport :/
Original post by Quackers93
Seriously :O :frown: That sucks, you shouldn't have to buy a passport to go to med school :s-smilie: It's stupid how they just assume everyone has a passport :/

Well EU ID is pretty much standard for ID purposes, most people will have either a passport or a driving licence.
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Well EU ID is pretty much standard for ID purposes, most people will have either a passport or a driving licence.

Really? In which case I'll need to either pass first time or somehow find some money for a passport, neither seems likely.
Original post by Normandy114
Really? In which case I'll need to either pass first time or somehow find some money for a passport, neither seems likely.

I'm simply saying that it makes sense for unis to ask for it since most people have one or the other.
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope

It makes sense, it's just a bummer if you don't already have one :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending