The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

any ideas when Durham, Exeter, Bath or UCL offers may start coming in? Do they usually leave it late if you have already applied or do they reply within a few weeks?
Reply 5321
Original post by Tomatochuckers
Long story- I got a D in the FM mock which I did not know about till September, had to cram in 3 months work into 1, (plus made stupid mistakes). So the C was understandable but they lowered my A* prediction in normal maths to an A as they thought I would not be able to cope (despite getting 276/300). But tbh A*AAC would still be pushing it.

That's ridiculous, I hate it when teachers base predictions on mocks, people don't try as hard in mocks and they get some kind of kick out of forcing people to try hard for the sake of their predicted grades when they are generally not a good reflection of how well you do :mad:

Original post by ChickenMaLicken
any ideas when Durham, Exeter, Bath or UCL offers may start coming in? Do they usually leave it late if you have already applied or do they reply within a few weeks?

I know Bath have started giving out offers, but they got my application over a month ago and I still haven't heard anything. Best not to go on whether or not other people are getting offers and just wait to hear your personal responses!
Original post by Tateco
That's ridiculous, I hate it when teachers base predictions on mocks, people don't try as hard in mocks and they get some kind of kick out of forcing people to try hard for the sake of their predicted grades when they are generally not a good reflection of how well you do :mad:

Yeah :frown: My main plan was to work steadily through FM AS with the aim to be ready by late December. So I was not prepared at all for the mock to be in October (and the last minute rush did not work). I personally don't think the preds are accurate! Need to prove them wrong :colone:
Reply 5323
Original post by Tateco
Yeah but it's the way they said it, they didn't say academic rigour they said difficulty, which implies they want an easy ride. If you wanted an academically rigorous degree you would say "most academically rigorous", not "most difficult".

most academically rigorous and most difficult have both the same meaning!

I just wanted to get any idea what the actual differences between those unis were. Im content with the fact that those 5 are all good unis, i think everyone on the site knows that.
got an offer from Leeds for history and econ:smile:
Reply 5325
Original post by roseroserose.
got an offer from leeds for history and econ:smile:

nice one !!
Original post by nightmare91
That's true plus the overall experience. University life in Germany is sooooo boring. We don't have student halls, you either live at home or get an apartment. It is like going to school except your classmates look a bit older :tongue:

Meh, social life depends on how much effort you put in. Living in student halls does not automatically mean that you'll become a party animal, though I guess it does help.
Reply 5327
Just worked out my exam timetable.. On one day, I've got C3 in the morning, followed by unit 3 for Economics and a History paper following that.. Not looking foward to Monday 23rd January -__-
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Hemzo
Just worked out my exam timetable.. On one day, I've got C3 in the morning, followed by unit 3 for Economics and a History paper following that.. :aff:

On the bright side, at least you'll get it all over and done with! Not much consolation I know :s-smilie:
Reply 5329
Original post by Hemzo
Just worked out my exam timetable.. On one day, I've got C3 in the morning, followed by unit 3 for Economics and a History paper following that.. Not looking foward to Monday 23rd January -__-

Ouch!
Original post by Hemzo

Bloody hell, that's tough.
Any downing applicants, how are you preparing for the maths test ?
Reply 5332
I received an unconditional offer for Financial Economics at Kent this evening!
Original post by vinchenzo25
Any downing applicants, how are you preparing for the maths test ?

Just looking over the things which look relevant in the core modules and stats 1. I might talk to my head of maths tomorrow though, see if he knows anything about it.
Reply 5334
Just saw on the offers thread someone has gotten an offer from Durham!

Does this mean that other offers will soon follow? (I thought Durham were one of the Universities waiting until the January 15th deadline)
Reply 5335
Original post by FDR
Just saw on the offers thread someone has gotten an offer from Durham!

Does this mean that other offers will soon follow? (I thought Durham were one of the Universities waiting until the January 15th deadline)

Yeah do they do it in batches? I thought that as well! I am so jealous....:rolleyes:
Original post by Acerbic
Just looking over the things which look relevant in the core modules and stats 1. I might talk to my head of maths tomorrow though, see if he knows anything about it.

I'm pretty much doing the same, apart from when I asked my maths teacher it sounds like they don't have any past experience with this test :/ By the sounds of it I think it is just going to test key skills, and they can't exactly ask you much in half an hour !
Original post by vinchenzo25
I'm pretty much doing the same, apart from when I asked my maths teacher it sounds like they don't have any past experience with this test :/ By the sounds of it I think it is just going to test key skills, and they can't exactly ask you much in half an hour !

Yeah my maths teacher was clueless today when I asked her, she recommended talking to the head because he went to cambridge. I doubt he'll have heard of it though. I think there are far more questions than you can answer in half an hour, but you're supposed to focus on a few and do them well.
Original post by Acerbic
Yeah my maths teacher was clueless today when I asked her, she recommended talking to the head because he went to cambridge. I doubt he'll have heard of it though. I think there are far more questions than you can answer in half an hour, but you're supposed to focus on a few and do them well.

I just wish that there was a way of getting hold of some past papers ! Nevermind, i'm sure it will be ok once i've gone over some bits and pieces. Good luck with it all.
I've got an offer for Sheffield and Leicester for economics and Manchester for International business, finance and economics :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending