The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laughylolly
Nope. I haven't gotten anything yet and haven't heard of anyone getting one yet... maybe later this week?

Finally got an email from Durham asking for UMS. Though thing is I don't do A levels but hopefully the little note with my Higher bands I put on the form is clear enough... "/

How much detail did you put on the form about Highers and so on? All I've put is "I attained A band 1s in all of my SQA Highers" and it feels like I should be writing more... :P
Original post by derangedyoshi
How much detail did you put on the form about Highers and so on? All I've put is "I attained A band 1s in all of my SQA Highers" and it feels like I should be writing more... :P

Yeah that's all I put. I also mentioned what the Band 1 boundary for maths in 2011 was (108/130). I think they were just interested in Maths marks though... I did mention that I got full marks in all unit NAB assessments for maths as well but I don't think they'd care too much about that. We only do one final exam for each subject so it's hard to say how we did on each unit.
Original post by ccfcadam36
southampton invited me to a visit day and they said there is no need to visit unless you want to refresh your memory. there might be some freebies though :tongue:

Ahh. I didnt know if its compulsary or not....i dont really intend on going (especially as its like my 4th choice!)
Yeah that's all I put. I also mentioned what the Band 1 boundary for maths in 2011 was (108/130). I think they were just interested in Maths marks though... I did mention that I got full marks in all unit NAB assessments for maths as well but I don't think they'd care too much about that. We only do one final exam for each subject so it's hard to say how we did on each unit.

Yeah... might put my actual mark for maths as well, but that should do. Thanks :smile:
Yeah... might put my actual mark for maths as well, but that should do. Thanks :smile:

Do you know your actual mark? I didn't know that you could find out "/

Original post by TRLMaths
I sent mine off and got a reply instantly too :/ If you look at the recipients it tells you everyone who received the e-mail. :')

Yeah... not very good that other applicants can see your email address. At least my email address isn't too embarrassing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Do you know your actual mark? I didn't know that you could find out "/

They tell your school automatically (I think) so you could ask your teacher. Otherwise I think you can send a freedom of information request to the SQA, but that costs £10. Different schools have different policies, some schools don't even tell people what bands they got. That would have really annoyed me :P
They tell your school automatically (I think) so you could ask your teacher. Otherwise I think you can send a freedom of information request to the SQA, but that costs £10. Different schools have different policies, some schools don't even tell people what bands they got. That would have really annoyed me :P

I had to go and ask for my band and it was trouble enough trying to get that. I don't think the marks were there though...
Anyone qualify for BMO1? My school just got the results back but they haven't told us yet... people in close cahoots with Maths teachers are rumouring who got Best in School. Just shows how geeky my school can be :tongue:

Does anyone know what BMO1 is like? What kind of marks are expected :s-smilie:
Is it unusual to have only had acknowledgements from Leeds/Warwick/Bath when I applied on the 13th October? Seems 99% of people I've seen applying to these unis for maths already have offers haha!
Original post by Small123
Is it unusual to have only had acknowledgements from Leeds/Warwick/Bath when I applied on the 13th October? Seems 99% of people I've seen applying to these unis for maths already have offers haha!

Applied on 12th October and the last I heard was "We are now are considering your application" from Warwick... :s-smilie:
Original post by Beth1234
Applied on 12th October and the last I heard was "We are now are considering your application" from Warwick... :s-smilie:

How beyond irritating was that email? A friend of mine had an offer from Warwick the day before I got that email, and I was just flicking through my phone and read my emails to see a Warwick application email so I started getting quite excited that it was an offer but instead they thought they'd remind me that they're still considering it haha... :p:
Original post by Xero Xenith
Anyone qualify for BMO1? My school just got the results back but they haven't told us yet... people in close cahoots with Maths teachers are rumouring who got Best in School. Just shows how geeky my school can be :tongue:

Does anyone know what BMO1 is like? What kind of marks are expected :s-smilie:

I qualified for BMO1 :smile: - my maths teacher sent me an email last night so I think UKMT emailed all the results this year.

Here are some past questions:

http://www.bmoc.maths.org/home/bmo.shtml

The average marks are very low :wink:
I think the median was 6/50 in 2004 or something.

Though they've now added an "easier" starter question to make it out of 60 and raise the average a bit.

It's normally about 30/60 for a Year 13 to qualify for the next round (BMO2).

I sent in my application on Oct 7th. Offer from Warwick but nothing from Bath yet.
How beyond irritating was that email? A friend of mine had an offer from Warwick the day before I got that email, and I was just flicking through my phone and read my emails to see a Warwick application email so I started getting quite excited that it was an offer but instead they thought they'd remind me that they're still considering it haha... :p:

Yeah, I went through the same thinking process...

By the way, did you do the SMC this year?
Original post by Beth1234
Yeah, I went through the same thinking process...

By the way, did you do the SMC this year?

It sucks, how is your application going?
I did though I haven't even bothered to see my result as I did very poorly due to only being told on the day that it was on (I wasn't even entered...), waking up late for it and having been quite ill on the day, so the circumstances weren't in my favour haha. Did you do the SMC?
I had to go and ask for my band and it was trouble enough trying to get that. I don't think the marks were there though...

Yeah... some schools are a bit weird about marks I think. You could always do the freedom of information thing if you're bothered but I wouldn't know how to do that. Ask around in ScotQuals?
Yeah... some schools are a bit weird about marks I think. You could always do the freedom of information thing if you're bothered but I wouldn't know how to do that. Ask around in ScotQuals?

I'm not too bothered to be honest. Pretty sure I got full marks on paper 1 but I know I messed up on paper 2 (silly mistakes!)

Just gotta get a band 1 in AH now. Should be easy :L... :s-smilie:
It sucks, how is your application going?
I did though I haven't even bothered to see my result as I did very poorly due to only being told on the day that it was on (I wasn't even entered...), waking up late for it and having been quite ill on the day, so the circumstances weren't in my favour haha. Did you do the SMC?

Got an interview at Cambridge (on 13th Dec), but no offers :frown:
That doesn't sound particularly fair! Yeah, I did the SMC; found out my results today :smile:
Original post by goldfish134
I qualified for BMO1 :smile: - my maths teacher sent me an email last night so I think UKMT emailed all the results this year.

Here are some past questions:

http://www.bmoc.maths.org/home/bmo.shtml

The average marks are very low :wink:
I think the median was 6/50 in 2004 or something.

Though they've now added an "easier" starter question to make it out of 60 and raise the average a bit.

It's normally about 30/60 for a Year 13 to qualify for the next round (BMO2).

Sweet, thanks for the info :biggrin: I think I qualified, some people were telling me I got 93 or 98. Let's hope it goes well :smile:
I'm not too bothered to be honest. Pretty sure I got full marks on paper 1 but I know I messed up on paper 2 (silly mistakes!)

Just gotta get a band 1 in AH now. Should be easy :L... :s-smilie:

haha, indeed :P I got q19 in the multiple choice wrong, it was something to do with logs and they put it in just to trip people up. I remember comparing answers with someone in the break between papers and being so frustrated with getting that wrong :P and I made a few other mistakes as well.

Latest