The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

RE: Student Accommodation in Newcastle

Hi Guys

I am going to Newcastle University next Year, 2012, and am wanting advice on what halls are the best. I'v heard Newcastle University's own halls are really poor so i'm looking at private accommodation. I have seen that Student Castle looks pretty good, is it any good?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Student Castle looks really good, but I think it might be rather pricier than the university's own accommodation.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Check out 'Central Link'.. it's a joint partnership between the University and a private firm. It's brand new and absolutely lush
Reply 3
Newcastle halls are not 'poor', there are a wide range of options for everyone and Castle Leazes and Richardson Road are great.
Reply 4
Anyone know the prices for accommodation at newcastle uni?
Newcastle halls aren't poor; avoid richardson road if you ever want to get work done and I've heard bad things about some of the catered accommodations - elsewhere you'll be fine.
Reply 6
Original post by Gleave
Anyone know the prices for accommodation at newcastle uni?

All on the accommodation area of Newcastle Uni website.
Original post by sutty4
Hi Guys

I am going to Newcastle University next Year, 2012, and am wanting advice on what halls are the best. I'v heard Newcastle University's own halls are really poor so i'm looking at private accommodation. I have seen that Student Castle looks pretty good, is it any good?

If you wanna live somewhere fancy then Victoria Halls is probably the best of the uni accommodations. Very modern and nice.

Personally i think it makes more sense to save money and live like 99% of the other students.
Reply 8
Ricky Road isn't ideal if you're not much of a partyer, and St Mary's, Bowsden Court and Henderson Halls are a bit far out but the rest are fine.

Castle Court, Victoria Hall, and Central Link are probably the best ones if you're looking for something a bit high end.
Reply 9
i've been looking at Central Link which look absolutely beautiful but i want a uni experience and im concerned that there won't be much of a 'student feel' in these halls, anyone have any experience of them?
Reply 10
Original post by indiaxx
i've been looking at Central Link which look absolutely beautiful but i want a uni experience and im concerned that there won't be much of a 'student feel' in these halls, anyone have any experience of them?

Mate of mine is in a flat there. It is incredibly nice place, but in my opinion nowhere near the student experience you really need for first year. Ricky Road, Leazes, Henderson are much cheaper and not as nice but I can guarentee you'll have a much better time, experience so much more and it'll better prepare you for living in a house next year. You will save silly amounts of money too.
Reply 11
Original post by indiaxx

My friends are in there. It's not bad, but the focus is on having an amazing room, not on having an amazing time. It's not anti social by any stretch of the imagination, just some others are more social.

It works by having loads of security gates to get through at the bottom, then through to the ground floor where you have to step straight into the lift and pick your floor. On your floor, as far as I remember there are 2 doors for the 2 flats, yours and your neighbours, and that's you. I don't remember her mentioning using a common room or anything like that, and she didn't know who was in the flat next to her or above or below her. She had met people out and about in uni who had said 'hey, I'm in Central Link too!' and that was how she had made friends outside her flat but in her accommodation.

In short, it feels like a hotel.
Reply 12
If you can afford it, Castle Court is pretty lush. I'd recommend Windsor Terrace, as that's where I am and I think it's a good medium: you get to know people in your block/house really quickly and it's a great location, but it's not as loud as Ricky Road.
Reply 13
Sorry if this is hijacking the thread, but I don't see the point creating another accomm thread. When do we actually apply for Newcastle accommodation? The accommodation brochure is pretty unclear as it says you should apply as soon as you receive an offer, is this true or is it some sort of misprint as I would have thought you applied to accommodation after you firm Newcastle? Finally, is Newcastle's accommodation allocated on a first come first serve basis, or does it go into a ballot of some sort?
Original post by PVisitors
Sorry if this is hijacking the thread, but I don't see the point creating another accomm thread. When do we actually apply for Newcastle accommodation? The accommodation brochure is pretty unclear as it says you should apply as soon as you receive an offer, is this true or is it some sort of misprint as I would have thought you applied to accommodation after you firm Newcastle? Finally, is Newcastle's accommodation allocated on a first come first serve basis, or does it go into a ballot of some sort?

Yeah I got the thing to apply for halls a while after my offer came through. I think the applications open in March?
I don't know anyone who got any of their accomm choices-it seems to be pretty random to me. Also crappy halls are good preparation for flats in 2nd and 3rd year. I've seen some horrors and the sooner you get used to the standard of student accommodation in general the better.
Reply 16
Original post by Ayshizzle
Yeah I got the thing to apply for halls a while after my offer came through. I think the applications open in March?

I've still not received any Accommodation information. My offer said that it was 'soon to follow' it's been 6 weeks since now, do you think it is worth contacting the University over it?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by PVisitors
I've still not received any Accommodation information. My offer said that it was 'soon to follow', do you think it is worth contacting the University over it?

Ahh ok, I recieved my offer in Feb and the accommodation thing came a few weeks later so maybe the applications open in March then? That's when the open day is as well, would make sense.
Original post by pinknipper
I don't know anyone who got any of their accomm choices-it seems to be pretty random to me. Also crappy halls are good preparation for flats in 2nd and 3rd year. I've seen some horrors and the sooner you get used to the standard of student accommodation in general the better.

Post- grads and gap yearers get placed first as they put in a really early application and get placed immediately as they have their grades. The rest of them- They do them on a first come first served basis after results day. So the people who applied earlier get placed first. So that means that all the closest/nicer ones get filled up reallllly quickly.
Reply 19
im at newcastle uni in my first year, the halls vary, some are good, some are poor. Marris and Windsor are the 2 most popular. The 2 private partnerships victoria halls and central link are both very smart but not quite as sociable as the others. Leazes and ricky road are both good for sociliasing, ricky road is known as the party halls, but both are getting quite old and the uni plan to knock them down and rebuild them soon which says it all really. St Marys is nice but far out (this is where im living), and henderson hall is even further.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending