The Student Room Group

Oxford Archaeology and Anthropology Students and Applicants

Hi, I'm not expecting many people to reply to this, but, if you do, that's very kind of you.

I'm hoping to apply to Oxford to read Archaeology and Anthropology this October (2011), but, as I have discovered, I'm getting a few worries about my actual chances of acceptance.

Before you complain, NO, I won't post my entire GCSE results and fish for compliments. They were pretty good (as in I got A*s As, Bs and one lonely C) but my school's academic record is, sadly, excellent, and truth be told, I didn't fully live up to expectations.

I'm working flat out to improve every ounce of my subjects that I can and am very much hoping for straight As at AS. The question is, to what extent is the Arch and Anth degree about being very clever or just demonstrating serious interest?

My sincere apologies for writing a long-winded post, but if you have any knowledge whatsoever, i'd appreciate it. My anxieties are starting to get the better of me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unfortunately I don't have answers for you, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm looking into applying for Archaeology and Anthropology to enter in 2012 as well. Whether I will end up applying for it, only time will tell, but I am really interested in it.
Reply 2
Original post by AquilaXenon

FamousFourTops, thank you very much for that answer.. it's really appreciated. I think I just wanted some form of reassurance that applying to Oxford (and getting in) isn't completely out of the question for me! This reply was very useful!

AquilaXenon were you at the Open Day in march? I might have seen you there...
Reply 3
Original post by Howie713
AquilaXenon were you at the Open Day in march? I might have seen you there...

Unfortunately I wasn't, by the time I got interested in the subjects, it was too late. I'm quite upset about that considering I also can't get to the Open Days in July as I'm a course at Cambridge.
Reply 4
Ah that's a shame. It was very interesting... especially finding that only 3 out of about 20 there were boys (myself included). I'd never thought a ratio could be so different..

What is the course about may I ask?
Reply 5
Ah that's a shame. It was very interesting... especially finding that only 3 out of about 20 there were boys (myself included). I'd never thought a ratio could be so different..

What is the course about may I ask?

Oh wow really? It's obviously appealing to the girls then!

It's a Theology taster course at Corpus Christi college for two days - quite looking forward to it as I'm staying in accommodation there.
Reply 6
Nice one! I have a friend who's thinking of applying for Theology at Cambridge... I think he could even be going to it. Enjoy!
Reply 7
Hi all!

Are there any anth and arch people who applied to oxford out there? I noticed that this course didn't have its own thread, and I would love to learn about the other people who have applied! My name is Jill, I'm from the U.S. and I love learning about people. Figures....
Reply 8
I'm also applying to Archaeology and Anthropology, through Magdalen College. And I'm also from the United States! :biggrin:
I'm applying for 2012 at oxford cause its soooo amazing there <3

BAZINGA I'm applying for cambridge
Reply 10
Hello. I'm applying to St. Hugh's for Arch and Anth. I'm from a place in between Reading and Oxford.

Where in the States are you two from?

(ALSO) Nice to meet you!
Reply 11
Nice to meet you too! I'm from California, and I'm actually currently attending university.

What fuels your interest in anthropology and archaeology? Are you more interested in biological, sociocultural, linguistic, or archaeological anthropology?
Reply 12
Oh so you're applying as a mature student then?

I like indigenous people. I especially like rock art and the spiritual life of native people. In terms of arch/anth - I like 'em both!

But those are just a few. Yourself?
Reply 13

Hello. I'm applying to St. Hugh's for Arch and Anth. I'm from a place in between Reading and Oxford.

Where in the States are you two from?

(ALSO) Nice to meet you!

Cool! I am from Saint Paul, Minnesota. wooo midwest! nice to meet you too :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by 2001mylo

Nice to meet you too! I'm from California, and I'm actually currently attending university.

What fuels your interest in anthropology and archaeology? Are you more interested in biological, sociocultural, linguistic, or archaeological anthropology?

I'm more interested in biological anthro. I love anatomy and physiology, and looking at how these have changed as humans have evolved. also, I watch the show Bones :s-smilie:
Reply 15

I'm also applying to Archaeology and Anthropology, through Magdalen College. And I'm also from the United States! :biggrin:

noiceeeeee that's awesome. look forward to seeing how it goes, for you and for me...I want an interview so badly!
Reply 16
Original post by asterix9

For those of you who are int'l applicants, if you get interviews are you going to travel over to Oxford?
Reply 17
I applied to Arch Anth at St Hugh's too :smile: I'm really undecided whether or not I actually want to go to Oxford anymore though :/ I had my heart set on it since I started AS up until about a month ago, and now I'm having a million second thoughts about it :/ Anyone else feeling like this?

Has anyone heard back about interviews yet? They are conveniently scheduled for the two days before my UCL one(12-13th), so I'm honestly dreading that week.

Where did everyone else apply? I went for Durham, UCL, Exeter and Edinburgh, all for the same course.

And (FINALLY), am I the only one who already studies Anthropology and Archaeology? Just out of curiosity, as everyone I spoke to on the open day was really surprised I do.

Sorry, loads of questions haha.
Reply 18
I'm still really wanting to go to Oxford... I'm not sure I'll be put off it really.

No! They're taking a while to get back to us. Still, no news is good news right?

I applied to UCL as well but I have completely gone off the course since going to London last week. I just don't think I could handle such a massive city. I also applied to Birmingham, UEA and SOAS.

At my school, the two subjects aren't really heard of. We have a classics department but that's about all... so, you're quite lucky to be able to have studied it!
Reply 19
I've heard a lot of people I know are having second thoughts about Oxbridge. I've just been put off by my lack of concentration lately and how much work I've got to do right now, and I know it would be the same if I did go to Oxford, and I don't particularly want to be doing as much (if not, even more) for another three years.

Yeah, I don't particularly want to go to UCL either because of how big and busy London is... If I did, chances are I would live at home and commute if I only had to go in for a few days a week (it's an hour and a half train journey from where I am now, so doable). It's just another option. I can honestly only picture myself at Oxford or Durham. Chances are if I don't get a place at either, I'll just take a gap year and reapply.

Yeah, I am lucky :smile: I go to a sixth form college, and there are so many options it was so difficult to choose A levels... I was originally doing Sociology and Psychology before changing my mind and deciding to do Anthropology and Archaeology instead... I'm so glad I did, else I have no idea what I would be doing with my life right now haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending