The Student Room Group

Geology/Earth Science Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paulbridger
It was First Life by David Attenborough.. I also read The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin and didn't understand it (I hadn't read it until after I submitted my application) So I will have to dodge the subject of that book, or just talk about it vaguely, haha

Ah right, I'm not really a biologist, but I like Attenborough so I might give that a read if I get the chance. :smile:
Original post by lukas1051
Ah right, I'm not really a biologist, but I like Attenborough so I might give that a read if I get the chance. :smile:

I'm a biologist at heart, but cant bear all the biochemistry aspects of it... Go for it, I was surprised at how much it was related to geology, it is just a really good book.
Reply 422
Original post by Biffmanz
I have an Oxford interview at St Anne's! Feeling nervous already :tongue:

Original post by hash007
Me too! Most of the teachers at college told me not to apply, they didn't even think I'd get an interview!! I applied for Worcester, but I've been invited for an interview at St. Annes.

Feels crazy haha

Snap, eeeek :frown:

Also, open day at Durham on December 7th anyone?
Reply 423
Well done on you all getting your Oxford interviews :biggrin: Still haven't heard anything but not going to worry about it too much until its December, then i might get a little anxious but oh well, whatever happens is fine. Anyone heard anything back from Birmingham post interview?
Reply 424
I have offers from University of Manchester, Leeds and Royal Holloway, off to UCL on the 30th and waiting on Durham! Anyone have offers to the same universities?
Reply 425
Original post by marsben
Got a offer from Plymouth (300pts) and an interview from RHUL in Jan, where they said I will get an offer. Applied to Exeter, Leeds & Portsmouth, awaiting response. Does anyone know how long Exeter, Leeds & Portsmouth took to process the application and give and offer? Applied for Applied Geology BSc at Exeter and Geology BSc @ Leeds & Portsmouth.

I heard back from Leeds in 10 days with an offer, good luck!
Reply 426
Original post by marsben
Got a offer from Plymouth (300pts) and an interview from RHUL in Jan, where they said I will get an offer. Applied to Exeter, Leeds & Portsmouth, awaiting response. Does anyone know how long Exeter, Leeds & Portsmouth took to process the application and give and offer? Applied for Applied Geology BSc at Exeter and Geology BSc @ Leeds & Portsmouth.

I heard back from Exeter 11 days after applying!

Original post by hash007
Me too! Most of the teachers at college told me not to apply, they didn't even think I'd get an interview!! I applied for Worcester, but I've been invited for an interview at St. Annes.

Feels crazy haha

I just feel so under prepared...The worst is that it's only 3 weeks away :frown:
Helloooo
Applied to Birmingham, Bristol, Manchester, RHUL and Leeds on Monday, 4 of which with the International Year option :biggrin: any fellow international year hopefuls out there? ^-^
Had my Southampton interview today... was definitely the most challenging one I've had so far, but I feel it went well. The 'presentation' was more of a discussion really (I was grilled on my research topic, so make sure you know it if you have a Southampton interview),and I was also asked to analyse some stuff (at one point my interviewer told me to sniff a rock :tongue:), but it was all quite relaxed :smile:

Original post by Chasm
Well done on you all getting your Oxford interviews :biggrin: Still haven't heard anything but not going to worry about it too much until its December, then i might get a little anxious but oh well, whatever happens is fine. Anyone heard anything back from Birmingham post interview?

Ihad my interview a week ago and haven't heard anything yet. My interviewer told me I should get an offer, but I have no idea when they're planning to reply :s-smilie:
Helloooo! I've applied for Exeter, Royal Holloway, Aberdeen, Plymouth and Portsmouth.

Stuck whether i will put my first option as Exeter or Royal Holloway...tough decisions! :biggrin:
Had my Southampton interview today... was definitely the most challenging one I've had so far, but I feel it went well. The 'presentation' was more of a discussion really (I was grilled on my research topic, so make sure you know it if you have a Southampton interview),and I was also asked to analyse some stuff (at one point my interviewer told me to sniff a rock :tongue:), but it was all quite relaxed :smile:

Awwwww no, I was really hoping you wouldn't say that.. how was the day as a whole? What sort of questions did they ask? What was the rock/what did they ask you to analyse? I'm sure you did fine though.
Reply 431

Ihad my interview a week ago and haven't heard anything yet. My interviewer told me I should get an offer, but I have no idea when they're planning to reply :s-smilie:

Yeah my interviewer also said i should get an offer, and as i had to wait till 2:30 for my interviewer i had a nice awkward one on one chat with the admissions tutor :colondollar: He was saying how everyone from that day will get an offer pretty much and i think he said it shouldnt be too much longer than a week or two so i thought we might have heard by now, if theres nothing by next week i'll start to worry a little but we'll wait and see
YAY, all five choices came back conditional. :smile: And I dont have to do an interview!!!!
Awwwww no, I was really hoping you wouldn't say that.. how was the day as a whole? What sort of questions did they ask? What was the rock/what did they ask you to analyse? I'm sure you did fine though.

As a whole the day was alright, went on a tour around the campus, had lunch (food was good), sat through a presentation, had a tour of the department... interviews were near the end. We're not really supposed to disclose specific details, but the questions were just general, as well as some about the research topic. It was just a diagram I was asked to explain, logical thinking exercise I guess, but nothing really technical. The rock was related to it, I wasn't asked to identify it or anything like that either. It's really not as bad as I made it sound, so don't worry. I think all interviews are different and depend on the interviewer, some people weren't asked anything like that, likewise at my Imperial interview some people were asked to analyse something, but I wasn't. :smile:

Original post by Chasm
Yeah my interviewer also said i should get an offer, and as i had to wait till 2:30 for my interviewer i had a nice awkward one on one chat with the admissions tutor :colondollar: He was saying how everyone from that day will get an offer pretty much and i think he said it shouldnt be too much longer than a week or two so i thought we might have heard by now, if theres nothing by next week i'll start to worry a little but we'll wait and see

Received a letter today with an offer, ABB :smile:
As a whole the day was alright, went on a tour around the campus, had lunch (food was good), sat through a presentation, had a tour of the department... interviews were near the end. We're not really supposed to disclose specific details, but the questions were just general, as well as some about the research topic. It was just a diagram I was asked to explain, logical thinking exercise I guess, but nothing really technical. The rock was related to it, I wasn't asked to identify it or anything like that either. It's really not as bad as I made it sound, so don't worry. I think all interviews are different and depend on the interviewer, some people weren't asked anything like that, likewise at my Imperial interview some people were asked to analyse something, but I wasn't. :smile:

Received a letter today with an offer :eek:

Alright, I'm still most nervous about this interview. Thanks for the information! Have you got an offer already, or is the offer of ABB for a different university? What course did you apply for? I applied for the MSci.
(edited 12 years ago)
Alright, I'm still most nervous about this interview. Thanks for the information! Have you got an offer already, or is the offer of ABB for a different university? What course did you apply for? I applied for the MSci.

Don't worry seriously, I don't think anyone had a bad experience, all the interviewers seemed very friendly. As long as you're able to discuss your research topic for a few minutes it should be OK, the rest is just standard stuff. The offer was for Birmingham, haha, was quoting someone who asked earlier in the thread. Haven't heard from Southampton yet, although my interviewer kind of hinted that I was in a strong position to get an offer so... yeah. I applied for the MSci too.
It was just a diagram I was asked to explain, logical thinking exercise I guess, but nothing really technical. The rock was related to it, I wasn't asked to identify it or anything like that either.

Was it the Hjulstrom Curve by any chance? I'm most probably wrong, but it is a difficult chart diagram to interpret, so..
Don't worry seriously, I don't think anyone had a bad experience, all the interviewers seemed very friendly. As long as you're able to discuss your research topic for a few minutes it should be OK, the rest is just standard stuff. The offer was for Birmingham, haha, was quoting someone who asked earlier in the thread. Haven't heard from Southampton yet, although my interviewer kind of hinted that I was in a strong position to get an offer so... yeah. I applied for the MSci too.

Alright, you can probably tell that I'm over-thinking this whole thing.. I've decided on the Cambrian Explosion as my research topic, mainly because there is a lot to talk about.. Well, I'm sure you'll get an offer and good luck!

I also went to the interview at Southampton the other day and it was fine, presentation went well and all the questions were pretty easy so no need to worry
Was it the Hjulstrom Curve by any chance? I'm most probably wrong, but it is a difficult chart diagram to interpret, so..

No, a geological cross section. But it was fine honestly, you might not even be asked anything like that. Cambrian explosion is a good topic, I'd go with that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending