The Student Room Group

Cat pooped on me!!!

i have two kittens around 4 months old, a male and a female. the male is very relaxed and doesn't cause much problems. The female however pees in the litter box but poos outside the box more often than it. The box is clean we tried a seperate box for each but still she continues to poo outside. What could be the problem:confused:. when we gt them both were pooping in the box. Not only this the female seems alot more restless than the male
Any help would be appreciated:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Often cats will signal they're about to do their business they'll appear restless as if looking for a spot, they might scrape their paw on the floor as though digging a small hole (most cats like to use soft earth and will dig a hole to use much to the ire of gardeners) and immediately before hand will often squat and raise their tail into a rigid position. If you see this behaviour immediately pick them up and move them to the tray. If you're too late, it's still worth picking them up and moving them to the tray just to build up the association between passing waste and visiting the litter tray, eventually they'll get the hang of it. To discourage them from going outside the tray make you clean up any mistakes thoroughly with cleaner strong enough to remove any scents, cats are creatures of habit and will often return to a nearby spot if they can smell they've used it previously. There's probably a fair few in depth guides online if you google for the problem however.

Also despite the separate trays you cat may feel uncomfortable using the same spot as your other cat, move the trays apart preferably different rooms to each other so both cats have their own private spot they feel comfortable with. And also in the same way you wouldn't eat your lunch sitting on the toilet cats often don't like to eat where they poo, keep their food bowls at least 10 feet away from any litter trays. If your cat associates food with the area it may be reluctant to pass waste there.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
my girlfriend does this
Reply 3
My cat took a leak on my bed when she was a kitten. I was still in it as well :hmmm:

Are they kept indoors? One of my cats used to do this sort of thing, but when we started letting him out he stopped using the litter tray and just went outside instead.
Reply 4
That's crap. :awesome:
Original post by Genocidal
That's crap. :awesome:

Making a joke out of that.

You've got to be kitten me.
PS. Didn't know that it was a family guy joke when I wrote it.
:frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Then get off your laptop and was the poop off before you use electronics! Good god man!
:hahaha:
Reply 8
It sounds like the litter tray isnt big enough or is not easily accessible. My cats were the same but they stopped when I let them out to do their business. They used to poop and pee behind the sofa or washing machine when they couldnt hold it as a kitten. Now I dont get accidents that often but if the litter tray gets too dirty, and I dont let them put, sometimes they will pee in their own bedding right in front my eyes!
poo on your cat see how it likes it
Reply 10
i'm liking the jokes BUT that's not why i posted the thread.:biggrin:
Any ideas why it's only the female on and not both???
it has become more frequent now.
Try picking her up and putting her in the tray?
Reply 12
Original post by SRaza94
i'm liking the jokes BUT that's not why i posted the thread.:biggrin:
Any ideas why it's only the female on and not both???
it has become more frequent now.

Has the vet checked her in case she's not well and that's what is making her go outside the box? Was she previously unwell and now associates the litter box with feeling bad and so doesn't want to use it?

Did she have the same kind of litter and/or litter tray that you're using where you got her from? Have you tried different kinds of litter/litter boxes to see which she prefers? Have you tried moving the boxes to different locations? Are her food and water far enough away from the litter boxes?

Have you tried giving her treats when she goes in the litter box? How do you react when she goes outside the box? Are you cleaning up after the accidents with an enzyme cleaner to make sure the smell is completely gone, even for sensitive kitten noses?

If she's always going in the same spot outside the box then you try either moving the tray there in case she just likes that spot or else putting a bowl of food there because cats don't like to go where they eat (much like people!).

Female kittens do tend to be more nervous than the males, although I've found that my little girl kitten is much more relaxed now than when I first got her in July. That said, you can try Feliway diffusers to help her feel more calm, or even Zylkene tablets.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Try picking her up and putting her in the tray?

This.
Honestly the mother should be teaching the kittens all the major things to do with pooping, cleaning/washing/preening and hunting etc.

It might just be a one off. If the mother is around she'll probably be teaching the kittens, if not talk to a vet to get some advice.
Poo in the tray yourself to show her how it's done. Always lead by example.
Original post by Tpx
Making a joke out of that.

You've got to be kitten me.
PS. Didn't know that it was a family guy joke when I wrote it.
:frown:

Me sphynx I smell another pun thread :biggrin:

(It'll never be as good as the fish one though!)
Reply 16
Original post by The Real Quaid
Me sphynx I smell another pun thread :biggrin:

(It'll never be as good as the fish one though!)

A good pun is its own reword.
Reply 17
Had it with these felines and their felonies.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by neoyyf
It sounds like the litter tray isnt big enough or is not easily accessible. My cats were the same but they stopped when I let them out to do their business. They used to poop and pee behind the sofa or washing machine when they couldnt hold it as a kitten. Now I dont get accidents that often but if the litter tray gets too dirty, and I dont let them put, sometimes they will pee in their own bedding right in front my eyes!

Mine do exactly this.

Except they use the dirty washing basket, :mad:

THIS MORNING. I swear it is the boy cat, the girl tends to enjoy the litter box-she plays in there. :lolwut:
(edited 12 years ago)
Buy a dog.

Latest