The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath Business Administration - 2012 entry thread

Bookmark this thread if you are going to applying for the BBA course for September 2012 entry!

Just thought this would be useful for everyone to talk about whether or not they will be applying for the BBA (Business Administration) course at Bath for 2012 entry. Also, later on we can discuss offers and such, if any of us are lucky enough.

I will definitely be applying, it will be my firm choice if I can get an offer, as the course looks fantastic, the university seems perfect and the graduate opportunities are very impressive.

I hope hope hope hope I can get an offer... will be so disappointed if I don't!

Also, what's your favourite thing about the course and what has made you want to apply the most?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I missed the open day :frown: Could someone tell me what was great about the course? Also where were the majority of the placements - London, Bath, multinationals or locals etc? Thanks!
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
I'm applying for BBA course, it is definitely my favourite choice at the moment :smile:

Um, well I think the main great aspect of the course is obviously the placements, as it gives you real work experience and so should make you a lot more employable afterwards. They also seem to really support you when you're applying for a placement, like with interviews and stuff. When I went to the open day I was impressed with the staff I saw too. A student I spoke to implied quite a lot of placements are in London, but there are probably quite a few places you could go to do one, Paris was even mentioned, and I think you could also choose whether you wanted to go to a multinational or local one. On the BBA web page I'm pretty sure they listed the big organisations they were linked with, so you could look at that to get an idea?

Hoped this helped!

(First post, woop!)
Reply 3
I am a final year BBA, and I can tell you that the course is amazing. The university is excellent, though Bath itself may not be too exciting if you are used to big city life. As was mentioned above two 6 months placement are a great way to build your CV. Plus there are loads of events and great sports facilities.

Great graduate opportunities as well investment banks etc..

I personally enjoyed studying here and sad that I will be leaving next year :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by HF231
I am a final year BBA, and I can tell you that the course is amazing. The university is excellent, though Bath itself may not be too exciting if you are used to big city life. As was mentioned above two 6 months placement are a great way to build your CV. Plus there are loads of events and great sports facilities.

Great graduate opportunities as well investment banks etc..

I personally enjoyed studying here and sad that I will be leaving next year :smile:

The placements look good, but realistically how difficult is it to get a placement at a top bank, e.g UBS, Goldman Sachs or Barclays Capital ect.
On a positive note the average pay for this placement year seemed good and you are right [Bath] do help out alot with Career services ect.
Reply 5
Original post by Alpha5
The placements look good, but realistically how difficult is it to get a placement at a top bank, e.g UBS, Goldman Sachs or Barclays Capital ect.
On a positive note the average pay for this placement year seemed good and you are right [Bath] do help out alot with Career services ect.

Well I can only speak from my experience, it is competitive. My year is around 160 people , investment banking jobs by Citi, Barcap, UBS etc.., were around 10-12 positions I believe ( Citi alone took 6) and I am talking about the second placement. Similar opportunities were present for the first placement.

Most of the people who work there get offers. So really if your question is about your chances as an undergrad competing with Oxbridge/LSE students then I'd say your chances are pretty good. Bath school of management has an excellent reputation ( we were even voted uni of the year!:biggrin:), all that is left is whether or not you got what it takes. Hope that helped:smile:
Reply 6
Bath or Bristol for business? anyone? im stuck in which to apply to
Reply 7
Original post by HF231
Well I can only speak from my experience, it is competitive. My year is around 160 people , investment banking jobs by Citi, Barcap, UBS etc.., were around 10-12 positions I believe ( Citi alone took 6) and I am talking about the second placement. Similar opportunities were present for the first placement.

Most of the people who work there get offers. So really if your question is about your chances as an undergrad competing with Oxbridge/LSE students then I'd say your chances are pretty good. Bath school of management has an excellent reputation ( we were even voted uni of the year!:biggrin:), all that is left is whether or not you got what it takes. Hope that helped:smile:

Yeah thanks.
When you say the first placement are you referring to the third year placement as part of a 4 year course. Thanks.
How competitive is the course to get onto? I really like the look of it but I don't take Science or Maths A-Level and I'm worried this would disadvantage me :frown: I take Sociology, English Language and Business Studies, predicted A*AA- what do you think?
Reply 9
I'm applying! So scared i'm not going to get an offer from anywhere! :frown:
^^ to answer your question, there's 1030 applied last year & only 150 get places.. so pretty competitive!
Good luck everyone [:
Reply 10
Original post by JustSmile.
I'm applying! So scared i'm not going to get an offer from anywhere! :frown:
^^ to answer your question, there's 1030 applied last year & only 150 get places.. so pretty competitive!
Good luck everyone [:

Actually, its really easy to get an offer as the top quality applicants generally go for Management at LSE, Warwick, KCL, etc. They also give out many more offers than the number of places available.
Reply 11
really easy?! well for the normal ones amongst us it's definitely not easy! Bath is rated something like 5th sometimes higher for business & it has one of the best employment prospects for a university! So unfortunately not quite easy!
Reply 12
Original post by JustSmile.
really easy?! well for the normal ones amongst us it's definitely not easy! Bath is rated something like 5th sometimes higher for business & it has one of the best employment prospects for a university! So unfortunately not quite easy!

It is, solid PS, good EC's and decent grades and the offer will come.
Reply 13
Anyone got an offer from them yet?
Yes! :biggrin:
Original post by redpandagirl

What were your predicted grades and subjects?
Reply 16
Original post by redpandagirl

And what was the offer?
Reply 17
Original post by HF231

So your basically saying that you are not likely to get a good place at a BB bank in FO or Middle office. So from experience what kind of placements do most people get?
Reply 18
Original post by Bud Fox
It is, solid PS, good EC's and decent grades and the offer will come.

I would love to know where you're getting all this from, Bud Fox? Have you gone through the application process?

Yes, you're right - it's by no means impossible to get onto BBA and I'm sure there are more technically difficult application processes for other unis, like interviews etc.

However good grades, strong personal statement and extra curriculars are a prerequisite for all Unis nowadays, Bath being no exception.

Similarly any Business degree is competitive, but Bath has a very small intake so arguably, even more so.

Just saying this from my own experience as a 2nd year BBA :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Alpha5
So your basically saying that you are not likely to get a good place at a BB bank in FO or Middle office. So from experience what kind of placements do most people get?

Hi Alpha 5.

Hope you don't mind me pitching in here; I'm 2nd year BBA and currently on my first placement so just putting my two penneth in.

I think that you should aim high and go for front office at a top tier bank if that's what you wish - but I would NOT expect this in your first year by any means. There are many positions available that banks reserve for Bath BBAers for your first placement, but I think I can say accurately that these are all going to be back or middle office.

Haven't got to my second placement so not entirely sure, but I believe there will be more roles similar to front office, trading etc the second time round.

However, I would stress that either type of placement is difficult to get as this is obviously what the majority of students want. Getting a placement in general is VERY competitive and the placements office do not offer a panacea; the onus is very much on you. If you want a trading role, be prepared to really justify why.

I'm sure you know all this already, and sorry if it's unsolicited advice! I just found the whole placements thing a very different experience to what you would expect.

If you only listen to one thing I've said, let it be this - the most important thing to remember is that it is entirely what you make of it. Seek out your own opportunities, not just those advertised.

Good luck with your applications, I can't recommend Bath enough and in particular BBA, so go for it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest