The Student Room Group

MA in Publishing at UCL - HELP!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
I was emailed by the dept informing me of my acceptance. When should this be reflected in portico? Its been a while now.

thanks!
Reply 121
Original post by LydiaM123
I'm guessing the interviews depend on subject, but my health psychology interview was about 10 mins long. It was the usual questions - why do you want to study this course, what was your third year project for undergrad about, what kind of project would you like to do, what do you hope to do after this course. They also asked a pretty nasty stats question (especially nasty seeing as this was totally on the spot, and stats exams tend to be open book anyway so there isn't any real need to learn them off by heart)

They did also ask about how I was going to fund the course, I'd imagine they'll be asking more people this as the course fees have just gone up?

But it was pretty informal, and as long as you have researched into your course and what you want to do with it, its fine.

What do you mean by 'stats question'?
Reply 122
Original post by guest01
I was emailed by the dept informing me of my acceptance. When should this be reflected in portico? Its been a while now.

thanks!

Portico is pretty slow - it might take up to 3 weeks. Just be patient :smile:
Reply 123
Original post by IK237
What do you mean by 'stats question'?

A simple example of an experiment was given, and I had to answer what kind of statistical test would be used for that example.

It didn't seem to matter too much, as I got the answer wrong. Seeing as he had my transcript in front of him, I think my grades in the stats module were more important than the right answer.
Reply 124
Original post by LydiaM123
A simple example of an experiment was given, and I had to answer what kind of statistical test would be used for that example.

It didn't seem to matter too much, as I got the answer wrong. Seeing as he had my transcript in front of him, I think my grades in the stats module were more important than the right answer.

So have you been accepted into the programme?
Reply 125
Original post by vinc10
Portico is pretty slow - it might take up to 3 weeks. Just be patient :smile:

Will do! Thank you =)
Reply 126
Finally my 2nd referee has uploaded the reference - waiting Portico to be updated though...finally something to cheer for :smile:
Reply 127
Think I will get bad news before christmas...
Reply 128
Original post by Franzel
Think I will get bad news before christmas...

Why so? Be more optimistic!

I applied 7 days ago and still no news :fuhrer: :colondollar:

I think my application may be one of those which universities hold onto for a while and assess against other applicants.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 129
Haha, like your smiley.

The last days are quite hard for me. Waiting all day long - at least some kind of.

Although I got an offer from Warwick. But it would be soooooo nice to live in London... :wink:
Reply 130
Warwick's a great university too.

The only benefit of not living in London is cost and your chances of getting murdered/mugged will be considerably reduced:borat:
Reply 131
Now I heard that leamington Spa is also a nice student city. So its okay to live in warwick if you choose a residence outside Coventry.

The main disadvantage of Warwick for me is that noone in germany knows this university. All companys are talking about Oxbridge, LSE, UCL and Edinburgh...

BUt in UK Warwick is probably in the Top 5. At least for Economics...
Reply 132
Other disadvantage: No possibility to see good football there.

Btw. Poor, poor Chelsea. :smile: :smile:
Reply 133
I'm sure some of the bigger companies in Germany will know of Warwick?
Reply 134
Top Tier Consulting Firms.

But I asked some HR Departements of really big companies (Dax30) and they didn't know Warwick.

However, I will choose Warwick if there is no offer from UCL, LSE and Oxbridge.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 135
Well, Warwick is definitely a very good final choice. :tongue:
Reply 136
As an overseas student, I would say that Warwick is about as famous as UCL, which is about as famous as LSE. All three however, are not nearly as known as Oxbridge. However in academic circles all should be famous and you wouldn't want to work for a company whose hiring managers don't know about Warwick.
Reply 137
Original post by Ghost6
As an overseas student, I would say that Warwick is about as famous as UCL, which is about as famous as LSE. All three however, are not nearly as known as Oxbridge. However in academic circles all should be famous and you wouldn't want to work for a company whose hiring managers don't know about Warwick.

I am an overseas student and I disagree. LSE, IMPERIAL and UCL are about as famous as OXBRIDGE.

Warwick is as famous as KCL.

Warwick is much better than KCL but KCL is in London, part of University of London and classic traditional university.
Reply 138
Original post by zziippoo
I am an overseas student and I disagree. LSE, IMPERIAL and UCL are about as famous as OXBRIDGE.

Warwick is as famous as KCL.

Warwick is much better than KCL but KCL is in London, part of University of London and classic traditional university.

I don't think so. Your average Joe in America has never heard of KCL, UCL or LSE but he most probably knows that Oxford or Cambridge are elite universities. He may mistakenly think they are in the Ivy League or something. The publishing companies owned by Oxford and Cambridge, as well as their history, makes them worldwide famous to an extent that can only be rivaled by the most famous American unis. Please do not take this as UCL/LSE bashing as I applied to these unis and even hold an offer. But these are facts.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 139
Original post by IK237
So have you been accepted into the programme?

yes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending