The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3940
Anybody currently in halls interested in a room swap? I'm living in Lupton at the moment and am looking to move to any other halls lol but they won't release me from my contract unless I can find someone else to take over :smile:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 3941
Got an offer from Leeds and its my first choice but just want to get advice on what would be the best accomodation-I would prefer ensuite room and is catered accomodation any good?
Original post by Snoozy94
Got an offer from Leeds and its my first choice but just want to get advice on what would be the best accomodation-I would prefer ensuite room and is catered accomodation any good?

Catered food is quite good - Boddington's catered has issues as dinner ends at 6pm so if your bus is late getting back you could miss it entirely.
Original post by Muffinz
Catered food is quite good - Boddington's catered has issues as dinner ends at 6pm so if your bus is late getting back you could miss it entirely.

I heard it ends at 6:30, but same applies anyway.
Reply 3944
Original post by Muffinz

Oh right- was looking at Storm Jameson or may go for self catered- any reviews/recommendations? Thanks :smile:
Oh right- was looking at Storm Jameson or may go for self catered- any reviews/recommendations? Thanks :smile:

Don't know anyone whos there unfortunately
Reply 3946

Most people who applied to Charles Morris (which Storm Jameson is part of) did not end up there as it was so over applied for. You're more likely to get a self catered accomodation than a catered one. The on campus ones are very difficult to get a place in. Don't bother with Boddington they're knocking it down Jan 2013. I'm self catered at the tannery. It's a really good distance to campus, really nice accomodation, very modern with a really great set up in rooms and flats. Definately would reccomend it.
Original post by emilymay
Most people who applied to Charles Morris (which Storm Jameson is part of) did not end up there as it was so over applied for. You're more likely to get a self catered accomodation than a catered one. The on campus ones are very difficult to get a place in. Don't bother with Boddington they're knocking it down Jan 2013. I'm self catered at the tannery. It's a really good distance to campus, really nice accomodation, very modern with a really great set up in rooms and flats. Definately would reccomend it.

The rooms at the tannery look great! Is it a very sociable hall or one of the quieter ones?
Can I apologise if you saw a wrecked car at Oxley, it was mine, I sort of ruined it.
Original post by Teh User
Can I apologise if you saw a wrecked car at Oxley, it was mine, I sort of ruined it.

How? :K:
Original post by Bella Occhi
How? :K:

The fact I used the Inner Ring Road at rush hour sort of explains that. Crash....
Reply 3951
Original post by LaBelleOuLaBête
The rooms at the tannery look great! Is it a very sociable hall or one of the quieter ones?

They are really nice :smile: and tbh it depends how you look at things, I know places like Dev have hall events organised every week and get things happening all the time, but tbh I quite like being able to make my own social life. I go out for nights out with people I like to places that we've chosen to go to! The Tannery has previously supposed to have been quite a boring hall, in that nothing gets organised. Tbh this year they have been organising stuff theres a guy who's made himself events rep and organises nights out and things every so often, gets us VIP and things, there was a hall fancy dress Otley run not long ago, and theres a big christmas party next weekend. So yeah if theres someone here next year whos willing to make the effort and organise stuff like that then there will be social stuff organised, but even if theres not, Leeds is a social city, if theres nothing organised in your halls it doesn't mean that 'you're not going to have a social life, theres loads of places to go and you will meet some awesome people and have an amazing time here I guarantee it. Theres plenty of people here who didn't get into other places and ended up here, and at first really didn't want to come here, but now love it :smile: You'll love wherever you go tbh, but the Tannery is definately up there :smile:
Original post by Teh User
The fact I used the Inner Ring Road at rush hour sort of explains that. Crash....

:zomg: Hope you came out in better shape than the car!
They are really nice :smile: and tbh it depends how you look at things, I know places like Dev have hall events organised every week and get things happening all the time, but tbh I quite like being able to make my own social life. I go out for nights out with people I like to places that we've chosen to go to! The Tannery has previously supposed to have been quite a boring hall, in that nothing gets organised. Tbh this year they have been organising stuff theres a guy who's made himself events rep and organises nights out and things every so often, gets us VIP and things, there was a hall fancy dress Otley run not long ago, and theres a big christmas party next weekend. So yeah if theres someone here next year whos willing to make the effort and organise stuff like that then there will be social stuff organised, but even if theres not, Leeds is a social city, if theres nothing organised in your halls it doesn't mean that 'you're not going to have a social life, theres loads of places to go and you will meet some awesome people and have an amazing time here I guarantee it. Theres plenty of people here who didn't get into other places and ended up here, and at first really didn't want to come here, but now love it :smile: You'll love wherever you go tbh, but the Tannery is definately up there :smile:

Thank you! This was really helpful :smile:
I think you made some important points. You're probably right that at the end of the day it doesn't really matter which halls you're in as long as you are living with like-minded people. But I'm actually now considering going for the Tannery. It does look great and I don't care about organised events that much. Thanks again :smile:
What's the best accommodation at Leeds? I've just got an offer for 2012 for German and i will most definitely be firming it! I have been on the website and looked at most of them on pictures and the ones I like the look of are The Tannery, Oxley Residences, Leodis Residences, James Baillie Park and Henry Price! (all of which are self-catered). Does anybody on this thread live in any of these?!

Thanks. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by JakeE10
What's the best accommodation at Leeds? I've just got an offer for 2012 for German and i will most definitely be firming it! I have been on the website and looked at most of them on pictures and the ones I like the look of are The Tannery, Oxley Residences, Leodis Residences, James Baillie Park and Henry Price! (all of which are self-catered). Does anybody on this thread live in any of these?!

Oxley is REALLY far from campus. Wouldn't recommend that one.
Original post by Muffinz
Oxley is REALLY far from campus. Wouldn't recommend that one.

I would, it has quite a community feel and buses are plentiful, even late at night. The extra money to live closer to campus can just go on a bus pass, which saves you lots on taxis.
Original post by JakeE10

I live at Oxley, it's really nice here if a bit far away from campus but all you need is here with en suites, common room with TV, bar etc. It's good particularly if you're an active sort of person as there's a gym and you're close to the playing fields. There is plenty on, easy transport to town with buses every 5 or so minutes from the main road or every 20 minutes from the smaller road that houses the main entrance. The only downside is having to wake up a bit earlier in the morning to get to campus in time.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3958
Original post by JakeE10

You have to think about what you want out of it really, heres what I'd say about each:

Oxley- quite far out from campus, bit of a pain to get to and from uni and town and things.
Leodis- don't know much but from what I've heard it's alright and not a bad distance from campus, not ensuite though I believe, depends what you want.
James Baillie- VERY over applied for, quite unlikely to get in if you apply but I've heard it's ok, nothing extra special, also it's about half an hours walk to uni.
Henry Price- Again very over applied for and fairly unlikely to get in, catered if thats what you're interested in, but quite expensive compared to others, however it is amazing inside, very well set out, very modern etc.
The Tannery- easily the best halls :wink: though I would say that seeing as I'm in this one. It's a good distance to campus, (about 15 mins to the union I'd say) about 10-15 mins to town as well which is pretty well placed. Rooms are lovely (DOUBLE BEDS) there is a common room with sky telly which when looking at accom was one of the reasons i chose the Tannery but I've never watched anything on it :tongue: people do though, in big groups sometimes if it's a popular program, the soaps are ususally on, and then stuff like x factor and I'm a celebrity etc :smile: The kitchens are pretty well equipped and you're with unite so you've got their security personnel and they're really good at responding to any problems because at the end of the day they're a business making money so they need to give good customer service and a good impression.

Hope thats helped!
You have to think about what you want out of it really, heres what I'd say about each:

Oxley- quite far out from campus, bit of a pain to get to and from uni and town and things.
Leodis- don't know much but from what I've heard it's alright and not a bad distance from campus, not ensuite though I believe, depends what you want.
James Baillie- VERY over applied for, quite unlikely to get in if you apply but I've heard it's ok, nothing extra special, also it's about half an hours walk to uni.
Henry Price- Again very over applied for and fairly unlikely to get in, catered if thats what you're interested in, but quite expensive compared to others, however it is amazing inside, very well set out, very modern etc.
The Tannery- easily the best halls :wink: though I would say that seeing as I'm in this one. It's a good distance to campus, (about 15 mins to the union I'd say) about 10-15 mins to town as well which is pretty well placed. Rooms are lovely (DOUBLE BEDS) there is a common room with sky telly which when looking at accom was one of the reasons i chose the Tannery but I've never watched anything on it :tongue: people do though, in big groups sometimes if it's a popular program, the soaps are ususally on, and then stuff like x factor and I'm a celebrity etc :smile: The kitchens are pretty well equipped and you're with unite so you've got their security personnel and they're really good at responding to any problems because at the end of the day they're a business making money so they need to give good customer service and a good impression.

Hope thats helped!

hey, it helped a lot! And The Tannery is the one i most like the look of (going off info and pictures on the website) and you've just made me lean towards that one even more! But obviously i'll have to go and see them before i make a decision. I've heard from a few people that a couple of the others are quite a way out from the campus and the city centre etc, i think i'd rather be a bit closer to it all! how does it work when you apply for accommodation? how many do you apply for? for example to you apply for three in order of preference or?!

Thanks again :smile:

Latest