The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge PGCE Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FadeToBlackout
It does make a difference. Homerton and Hughes Hall are the two colleges that take the most PGCE students. However, they don't offer a true "Cambridge Experience", as it were, and it can also be very claustrophobic, being out at one end of town all the time. Many of the PGCE students I know at Homerton, who are living out, don't see the centre of town which is a pity.

Hughes and Homerton are very different, Hughes is MUCH closer to town (right behind the KK Sports center and across Parkers Piece from Downing). Lots of PGCEs live in and there is a great atmosphere. I had an entire floor of PGCE students to live with, which was great as otherwise it gets very quiet outside of "uni" term time, which is a large slice of your time as a PGCE student. Also everyone is in the same boat, dealing with the same problems and issues, with the same assignments to do.

Not as "flashy" as some colleges, but i really liked it and made some amazing mates i am still in touch with. Not sure i'd have found it as easy without people who understand when you've had a bad day at school.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 21
Original post by gingerbreadman85
Hughes and Homerton are very different, Hughes is MUCH closer to town (right behind the KK Sports center and across Parkers Piece from Downing). Lots of PGCEs live in and there is a great atmosphere. I had an entire floor of PGCE students to live with, which was great as otherwise it gets very quiet outside of "uni" term time, which is a large slice of your time as a PGCE student. Also everyone is in the same boat, dealing with the same problems and issues, with the same assignments to do.

Not as "flashy" as some colleges, but i really liked it and made some amazing mates i am still in touch with. Not sure i'd have found it as easy without people who understand when you've had a bad day at school.

So if it were a toss up between Hughes Hall, Homerton and Queen's (the three which accept the most PGCE students), which would you say offered the best all-round experience?

I've applied to Queen's on the basis that it's an oldie and would be interesting to be affiliated to - but if the others can offer me a nicer time on the PGCE then I might consider asking them to change one of my choices.
Original post by bionic07
So if it were a toss up between Hughes Hall, Homerton and Queen's (the three which accept the most PGCE students), which would you say offered the best all-round experience?

I've applied to Queen's on the basis that it's an oldie and would be interesting to be affiliated to - but if the others can offer me a nicer time on the PGCE then I might consider asking them to change one of my choices.

Queen's would offer the most traditional-Cambridge-college experience, as it's old, has undergrads making the place look untidy, etc etc. But it depends on whether you want that or not!

Personally, I've got a lot more out of being in a traditional college and only seeing other PGCE students at the faculty, but it pretty much comes down to what you want.
Reply 23
Original post by FadeToBlackout
Queen's would offer the most traditional-Cambridge-college experience, as it's old, has undergrads making the place look untidy, etc etc. But it depends on whether you want that or not!

Personally, I've got a lot more out of being in a traditional college and only seeing other PGCE students at the faculty, but it pretty much comes down to what you want.

Thanks - I definitely think I'd prefer that - something to escape to! Just curious as to why Queens' is the only "traditional" that accepts so many PGCErs... do they need the money or are they interested in them?
YAY and hooRAH! I got a place at Cambridge, English Secondary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:smile::biggrin::smile::biggrin::smile::biggrin::smile:
Reply 25
Original post by annaloobylou
YAY and hooRAH! I got a place at Cambridge, English Secondary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:smile::biggrin::smile::biggrin::smile::biggrin::smile:

Congrats :smile: You may end up on placement at my school :biggrin:
Reply 26
Had my Primary PGCE interview on Tuesday morning and got an offer late that afternoon :smile: so happy! Congrats and good luck to everyone else!
Original post by dobbs
Congrats :smile: You may end up on placement at my school :biggrin:

very exciting- I will hopefully be in a Peterborough area school, although not my local one as my son goes there!
Now just need to get this degree finished :redface:
Reply 28
Original post by khalbert
Had my Primary PGCE interview on Tuesday morning and got an offer late that afternoon :smile: so happy! Congrats and good luck to everyone else!

Well done on getting in!! When did you send your application off, and how long did it take you to hear back? I applied for early years on 31th October and I still haven't heard back!
Yaaayyy I got in tooooo :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:! well done!!
Reply 30
Does anyone know what the intake is for their individual PGCE courses?
Reply 31
Original post by holstenator
Yaaayyy I got in tooooo :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:! well done!!

Congratulations!! When did you have your interview? Did you also hear the same afternoon?!
Reply 32
Original post by slucas
Well done on getting in!! When did you send your application off, and how long did it take you to hear back? I applied for early years on 31th October and I still haven't heard back!

Aww thanks! Well, I sent off my application around 14th October and was offered an interview on 7th November. I'd definitely contact them to check they received your application. Hope you hear from them soon.

Yayyy, well done to you too! What day was your interview?! I am still so shocked but so happpyyy! I wonder if anyone is going to set up a FB group...I don't want to look too keen haha, and also I know some people haven't heard back yet :frown: x
Reply 33
yay found out that I have an interview in jan but they are yet to confirm the date and will let me know asap :smile: so relieved :smile:
Yay, just got accepted for PGCE Chemistry!! :biggrin:
Original post by khalbert
Yayyy, well done to you too! What day was your interview?! I am still so shocked but so happpyyy! I wonder if anyone is going to set up a FB group...I don't want to look too keen haha, and also I know some people haven't heard back yet :frown: x

My interview was Monday! I am sooo shocked I was definitely not expecting it!!! Yes I wonder, I just searched and there's one for this year.. so I'm sure one will pop up in the next few months, if you want to set one up I will join so you won't be all alone!! How many people haven't heard back? It's sooo scary xxx
Original post by bionic07
Does anyone know what the intake is for their individual PGCE courses?

I think there's about 205 on the primary course..
Original post by sallytink
Congratulations!! When did you have your interview? Did you also hear the same afternoon?!

Thank you! No took a few days for me... My theory is that it either depends on the interviewers or they have their "definite yes pile" then they ponder on the maybes for a few days!
Reply 38
Thank you! No took a few days for me... My theory is that it either depends on the interviewers or they have their "definite yes pile" then they ponder on the maybes for a few days!

I think you might be right with that 'definite yes pile'... But I was one of the lucky maybes too - I just heard I got in as well!!! :smile:
I've been busy with final year of undergraduate degree so I only just sent off my application, on 29th November. Sort of anxious to find out whether or not I have an interview... what were your experiences of interview? really interested to hear about what it's like and any tips?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending