The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamiepango
Is it possible to get it rearranged? Ah they will be expensive, but it'll be worth it :biggrin:

Yea I will have to sit the exam one week later which is okay, I guess :smile: But I'll have to study for an Maths exam when I am in Oxford... I'm having the maths exam right after the interviews :s-smilie:

Original post by Tateco

Well done mate, you deserve it!

Thank you soo much :smile:
Original post by ovs300
Do you mind me asking when you sent off your UCAS?

4th October

Original post by nightmare91
Invitation for e&m at oxford!!! :smile:

Well done! Which college out of interest?
Original post by Psychotic546

Well done! Which college out of interest?

Thankyou! It's Merton College :smile:
Reply 5363
Original post by nightmare91
Invitation for e&m at oxford!!! :smile:

Congrats, mate! I'm kinda new here, why did you apply to Oxford over Cambridge? I'll have to decide myself very soon where I'll apply to, Oxford or Cambridge, and your reasoning could help me.
Original post by aalex
Congrats, mate! I'm kinda new here, why did you apply to Oxford over Cambridge? I'll have to decide myself very soon where I'll apply to, Oxford or Cambridge, and your reasoning could help me.
Thanks! :smile:
Oh the decision wasn't that easy for me as well. My sister went to Cambridge summer school and loved it hence I wanted to apply to Cambridge first. But then I saw the course content of E&M and I found it a bit more interesting. I like the fact that I can study a bit of Management as well. Also the Oxford course seems more qualitative than the Cambridge one. I like maths but I didn't have the opportunity to take up Further Maths or rather the German equivalent of FM. Therefore I thought it might not be a good idea to apply there anyway. Another important factor was that Oxford only invites 30%. They only invite those that have a reasonable chance of getting in whereas Cambridge invites a very big proportion (90% or something). Since I live in Germany I didn't want to pay 250€ and be just part of the 90%...
Both are great unis and I'd love to study at Cambridge as well but since that's not possible I just chose the one I liked a little bit better :biggrin: Ah and if it's possible I would try to attend the Open Days at both unis. They also helped me to decide :smile:
Reply 5365
Original post by shebrain
Just got an offer from York :smile:

very lucky, i am still waiting...starting to think i have a rejection..haha
Congrats on your offer :smile:
does anyone know where I can get the UCL applicant statistics?
Reply 5367
Original post by perrytheplatypus

If you don't want to cry I'd stop searching now :wink:
Reply 5368

"Each year we receive approximately 2600 applications for 180
places, with the majority of these being from suitably qualified
applicants."
Original post by Tateco
applicants."

This is the only statistical fact universities ever exert.

It's not particularly helpful... You want to know how many were made offers, probably at least 500.
Then 320 choose elsewhere or don't make the offer etc....

Warwick said the give offers to 33% of applicants, of which 30% actually study at Warwick.

You can see it's in their interest to only say how mant actually study there, however, not very helpful haha....

But anyway most universities give out significantly more offers than they have places :smile:
Reply 5370
Original post by Moiraclaire
This is the only statistical fact universities ever exert.

It's not particularly helpful... You want to know how many were made offers, probably at least 500.
Then 320 choose elsewhere or don't make the offer etc....

Warwick said the give offers to 33% of applicants, of which 30% actually study at Warwick.

You can see it's in their interest to only say how mant actually study there, however, not very helpful haha....

But anyway most universities give out significantly more offers than they have places :smile:

I know the statistic is misleading, but even if they did give out doubly or triply as many offers it would still be around 1 in 5 with nearly all of them qualified to the brim.
Original post by varadh
Yay got an offer from warwick :smile:
for econ l100

I thought they didn't give out offers until like January ? Are you international ?
Original post by Tateco
I know the statistic is misleading, but even if they did give out doubly or triply as many offers it would still be around 1 in 5 with nearly all of them qualified to the brim.

It's hideous, this is why I didn't apply to LSE, I don't like the idea fo someone tossing a coin on my future.....
Original post by Tateco

so true :tongue:

I think I may be forced to apply there...oh well :h:
Original post by Tateco
applicants."

On the first day of term , the course tutor explained to us that this year they had 1:16 ratio meaning per each one of us available for Econ , 200 students , there were 15 other well qualified students who got rejected . So if you do the math , per 200 places , 180 for L100 and 20 for L101 , they received about 3200 applications ..Good luck everyone !
Reply 5375
Original post by alnov
congratz do you mind me asking if your an overseas applicant or a uk one?

Overseas :smile:
Reply 5376
Original post by Tateco
When did you send off your application? :smile: Are you international?

Original post by Moiraclaire
I thought they didn't give out offers until like January ? Are you international ?

Yes, I'm an international student. I was quite surprised myself cause my English Grades were -IGCSE's- and still are -A-Levels- pathetic :smile: (I have to do an English requirement :/)
But anyway YAY. :smile:
Isn't warwick good for eco?
Reply 5377
so true :tongue:

I think I may be forced to apply there...oh well :h:

I still applied :u: Got to have one option like that!
Reply 5378
Anyone just recieved an email from Nottingham?
Reply 5379
Original post by Hemzo
Anyone just recieved an email from Nottingham?

About?

Latest

Trending

Trending