The Student Room Group
I'm not convinced the Harvard LLM would offer you much in the way of reputation in the UK. While UK and US are both common law systems, the firms are going to respect a LLM from Cambridge a lot more because it's still covering UK law. Doing something on US law is only really relevant if you plan to do the Bar exam or equivalent there later on.
I think both would be well received in most leading barristers chambers. A number of recent tenants have the Harvard LL.M
Reply 3
As somebody currently completing an LL.M in the US, I would give this advice:

-I certainly wouldn't agree that a US LL.M is less relevant because it concerns US and not UK law; postgraduate study builds different skills and offers a different way of looking at things, not matter what jursidiction you are in.
-Whilst Harvad classes will of course be extremely challenging, I would question whether the LL.M program will be as advanced as the UK LL.M classes: if the Harvard LL.M involved taking JD classes rather than specific LL.M classes, these JD classes will be for the US law degree, which is the first law degree in the US equivalent to our LL.B....
-Therefore, it may feel like you are studying at the same kind of level, wheras in the UK, specialized LL.M classes will contain much more detailed and advanced subject matter.
Reply 4
Original post by Wildman
Speaking as someone with admittedly no authority on these matters whatsoever, I would be significantly more impressed with someone who had a Harvard LLM. Think about it - tons of people go to Cambridge, but how many applying for jobs in this country have gone to Harvard? It makes you unique. You stand out. It indicates you are a worldly individual, adaptable, open minded, ready and willing to spread your wings.

I definately agree with your assessment of how the Harvard degree would be viewed by UK recreuiters; spot on. My comment was discussing the content of each course/what you would be looking for from an LL.M
Original post by twistedmoose
I'm not convinced the Harvard LLM would offer you much in the way of reputation in the UK. While UK and US are both common law systems, the firms are going to respect a LLM from Cambridge a lot more because it's still covering UK law. Doing something on US law is only really relevant if you plan to do the Bar exam or equivalent there later on.

You can't even sit the exam if you don't have a North American LLB; OR they'd have to do a series of exams that take anywhere from 1-3 years to complete.

The rule of thumb with law: Study where you want to practice.
Reply 6
Original post by digitalfever
You can't even sit the exam if you don't have a North American LLB; OR they'd have to do a series of exams that take anywhere from 1-3 years to complete.

The rule of thumb with law: Study where you want to practice.

Not true at all. Most US jurisdictions allow one to sit the bar exam with just an ABA accredited (i.e any accredited american law schoo) LL.M. NY allows one to sit the bar exam right off the bat if they have an LLB from the UK (depending on uni). Not sure what exams you are referring to that take 1-3 years.
Original post by adam0311
Not true at all. Most US jurisdictions allow one to sit the bar exam with just an ABA accredited (i.e any accredited american law schoo) LL.M. NY allows one to sit the bar exam right off the bat if they have an LLB from the UK (depending on uni). Not sure what exams you are referring to that take 1-3 years.

To clarify, you can take the New York bar if you have done GDL+LPC+LLM OR if you have done a UK LLB. However the LLM by itself is insufficient; you need to have studied 3 years of law in a common law jurisdiction (or 3 years of law in a civil law jurisdiction plus an LLM in the United States).

Not true.

An ABA accredited degree only means that you have the ability to sit for the bar examination AFTER you've met the requirements for the particular state. This doesn't entitle you to do so when you are a foreign educated law student.

To practice law in the American system, you must pass the bar examination and meet the requirements of the particular state in which you intend to practice law. From my understanding the only two states that allow you to do this are CA and NY. It's also important to understand that passing the bar in one state does not mean you can practice law in any other state. Each state has its own bar and unique requirements.

"To be eligible for the bar in the U.S. as a foreign attorney, a person must have completed 12-24 months of law school at an accredited law school in the U.S and obtained a J.D. (Jurist Doctor). The 12-24 months depends on if you have completed an LL.B. or an LL.M. in the U.K. The other prerequisites for the bar exam include a Professional Course with the state's Bar Association and completion of the Multi-State Professional Responsibility Exam (MPRE), which a minimum score is needed to pass. The score depends on the State.

Once the above is completed you are then eligible to sit the Bar Exam in your chosen state and again, a minimum score is required to pass. Once you do pass, you then take the oath and apply to the licensing body of the state.

The only state in the U.S. which allows LL.B. holders to sit the bar exam is New York and thus, that is where many go, but you will still be a lawyer with an LL.B. in a J.D. world and will find difficulty in seeking employment and will not be eligible to work outside of the State of New York."
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by digitalfever
Not true.

An ABA accredited degree only means that you have the ability to sit for the bar examination AFTER you've met the requirements for the particular state. This doesn't entitle you to do so when you are a foreign educated law student.

To practice law in the American system, you must pass the bar examination and meet the requirements of the particular state in which you intend to practice law. From my understanding the only two states that allow you to do this are CA and NY. It's also important to understand that passing the bar in one state does not mean you can practice law in any other state. Each state has its own bar and unique requirements.

"To be eligible for the bar in the U.S. as a foreign attorney, a person must have completed 12-24 months of law school at an accredited law school in the U.S and obtained a J.D. (Jurist Doctor). The 12-24 months depends on if you have completed an LL.B. or an LL.M. in the U.K. The other prerequisites for the bar exam include a Professional Course with the state's Bar Association and completion of the Multi-State Professional Responsibility Exam (MPRE), which a minimum score is needed to pass. The score depends on the State.

Once the above is completed you are then eligible to sit the Bar Exam in your chosen state and again, a minimum score is required to pass. Once you do pass, you then take the oath and apply to the licensing body of the state.

The only state in the U.S. which allows LL.B. holders to sit the bar exam is New York and thus, that is where many go, but you will still be a lawyer with an LL.B. in a J.D. world and will find difficulty in seeking employment and will not be eligible to work outside of the State of New York."

Attention to detail? I did not say all. Of course it means, AFTER and not BEFORE. I thought it was implied one would have to complete the LLM or X hours coursework before sitting the exam, hence why I didn't point this out. Anyways--Alaska, DC, Mass, Missouri, Penn, RI, Tenn, Texas, Utah, and WV are just a few examples of jurisdictions you can sit with an LLM/20ish hours of coursework+home jurisdiction legal practice. Only a handful require a full JD for foreign lawyers, and those include (but are not limited to) GA, NJ, NC and Arizona.

Also, this source that you linked from www.solicitor-lawyer.com/article/law-solicitor-courses/ talks about having a JD as a career booster, not out of necessity. It is right, in that NY is the only one that lets you sit with the LLB. However, refer to Supreme Court Rule of Missouri no.8 (allows one who has a LLB to sit the bar with 24 hours coursework from an ABA school) and similar rules , and you'll see that you have the option of sitting many of the bars with less than a JD.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Attention to detail? I did not say all. Of course it means, AFTER and not BEFORE. I thought it was implied one would have to complete the LLM or X hours coursework before sitting the exam, hence why I didn't point this out. Anyways--Alaska, DC, Mass, Missouri, Penn, RI, Tenn, Texas, Utah, and WV are just a few examples of jurisdictions you can sit with an LLM/20ish hours of coursework+home jurisdiction legal practice. Only a handful require a full JD for foreign lawyers, and those include (but are not limited to) GA, NJ, NC and Arizona.

Also, this source that you linked from www.solicitor-lawyer.com/article/law-solicitor-courses/ talks about having a JD as a career booster, not out of necessity. It is right, in that NY is the only one that lets you sit with the LLB. However, refer to Supreme Court Rule of Missouri no.8 (allows one who has a LLB to sit the bar with 24 hours coursework from an ABA school) and similar rules , and you'll see that you have the option of sitting many of the bars with less than a JD.

Could be wrong on this, but I expect 24 hours coursework from an ABA school refers to 24 *credit hours*, which is 8 courses of 3 credits each. That's a full year of study--the equivalent of an LLM. It's not like you can pitch up, spend three *days* studying and take the bar exam.

Looked up the requirements in rule no. 8. The requirement is 24 credit hours, not hours per se, and an applicant seeking admission through that gateway must have been admitted to practice in their home jurisdiction. The LLB alone would demonstrably not constitute admission to practice--you'd need to do the LPC/BPTC and then a TC or pupillage first.
(edited 12 years ago)

24 hours of course work = 12 - 15 months of study.
Original post by jjarvis
Could be wrong on this, but I expect 24 hours coursework from an ABA school refers to 24 *credit hours*, which is 8 courses of 3 credits each. That's a full year of study--the equivalent of an LLM. It's not like you can pitch up, spend three *days* studying and take the bar exam.

Looked up the requirements in rule no. 8. The requirement is 24 credit hours, not hours per se, and an applicant seeking admission through that gateway must have been admitted to practice in their home jurisdiction. The LLB alone would demonstrably not constitute admission to practice--you'd need to do the LPC/BPTC and then a TC or pupillage first.

You are correct. The 20 24 hours of study is actually one full year of study. Our credit hours are counted in hours. 1 course = three hours of credit.
Reply 13
Original post by jjarvis

Correct. Assumed this was implied though. Which goes back to my point, an LLM (or a year's of study) could get an LLB'er to qualify in more than just a few jurisdictions.

Latest

Trending

Trending