The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Is anyone striking? I haven't made my mind up yet.

I wasn't planning on it but just received an email from ATL that has sort of persuaded me I should fight the cause.
Original post by *Sparkle*

I wasn't planning on it but just received an email from ATL that has sort of persuaded me I should fight the cause.

I got the same email.
However, I am in university that day - we have lectures and seminars as normal. Given you have to attend due to the attendance restrictions to get the QTS and the fact [as a student] I was not balloted to strike, I'm obviously going in as normal.:o:o:o:o It's a shame mind as it is a good cause [and a chance to just catch up and get some sleep would have been amazing!].

Survived my first placement. Now I need to plan all the lessons for my second placement, as my tutor wants to review them before Christmas. I am hoping he just means like weekly plans, rather than each individual lesson plan, as you have to respnd to your formative assessments etc surely, rather than blanket planning a block that big. We'll see. :redface:

You can't officially strike while you are training as you are not an employee.

That aside, I just put your details in the NUT pensions calculator (I assumed you will be age 23 and on M1 in your first post next year, will join the 2007 scheme and finish your career on UPS3 (this is a conservative estimate as I have assumed you will never take on a promoted post). The cost of these pension changes to you over a 25 year period of retirement is £321,162.
Original post by affinity89
I got the same email.
However, I am in university that day - we have lectures and seminars as normal. Given you have to attend due to the attendance restrictions to get the QTS and the fact [as a student] I was not balloted to strike, I'm obviously going in as normal.:o:o:o:o It's a shame mind as it is a good cause [and a chance to just catch up and get some sleep would have been amazing!].

Survived my first placement. Now I need to plan all the lessons for my second placement, as my tutor wants to review them before Christmas. I am hoping he just means like weekly plans, rather than each individual lesson plan, as you have to respnd to your formative assessments etc surely, rather than blanket planning a block that big. We'll see. :redface:

I'm in school, but school is closed. Either way I dont have lessons. My actions are insignificant but I'm still confused.
Original post by Mr M
You can't officially strike while you are training as you are not an employee.

That aside, I just put your details in the NUT pensions calculator (I assumed you will be age 23 and on M1 in your first post next year, will join the 2007 scheme and finish your career on UPS3 (this is a conservative estimate as I have assumed you will never take on a promoted post). The cost of these pension changes to you over a 25 year period of retirement is £321,162.

TBH, pensions isn't something that I can get worked up about for myself. I can fully understand the frustrations of those much nearer to retirement; but I don't trust any future government enough to not mess with it again. There seems little point in fighting for something that will almost certainly be very different by the time I get there.

Not showing particular "solidarity-with-the-comrades" etc., I know, but I just can't get that worked up about it.
Original post by FadeToBlackout
TBH, pensions isn't something that I can get worked up about for myself. I can fully understand the frustrations of those much nearer to retirement; but I don't trust any future government enough to not mess with it again. There seems little point in fighting for something that will almost certainly be very different by the time I get there.

Not showing particular "solidarity-with-the-comrades" etc., I know, but I just can't get that worked up about it.

You would be well advised to take more of an interest. Protection (albeit limited protection) has been offered for those close to retirement. Young teachers stand to lose most.
Reply 626
I'd be striking if I was in the UK.
Original post by Mr M
You would be well advised to take more of an interest. Protection (albeit limited protection) has been offered for those close to retirement. Young teachers stand to lose most.

Indeed so. Don't let them walk all over you. I'm near enough to retirement not to be affected, but I'm on strike next Wednesday because what they want to do is unfair to you lot. As has been said above, you can't strike because you're not employed, but you'd be well advised to keep a very close eye on what happens. We all think we're never going to need to bother about a pension when we're 23, but after 30 years plus in the classroom, when you're feeling burnt out and would like to leave the profession so that the young ones with the energy to do the job can actually have a job to do, it becomes really quite important, and those years will fly by.
I genuinely don't know what to do. I'm not employed so I can't strike, but I am a member of the union so I should take some sort of action. On the other hand, what I do is redundant because I won't be teaching anyway and I'm so busy I will be working whatever I do.

I don't even know why I care so much, if I was employed I'd be striking.
I genuinely don't know what to do. I'm not employed so I can't strike, but I am a member of the union so I should take some sort of action. On the other hand, what I do is redundant because I won't be teaching anyway and I'm so busy I will be working whatever I do.

I don't even know why I care so much, if I was employed I'd be striking.

I think none of us who are actually already in the profession would expect you to do much, because there's no one who you could influence by your action. Just make sure you are in a union, though. If the chips are ever down, you will need them.
My M level assignment is due in on Tuesday. I've done 1000 words, only 4500 more to go, and I have two lessons to plan for Monday as well. Don't know where to start. All I know is I'm screwed.
All you future teachers can come to current year 11 thread to test us :tongue:
Original post by blueray
All you future teachers can come to current year 11 thread to test us :tongue:

We don't have time, teaching is harder than it looks lol

We don't have time, teaching is harder than it looks lol

No as in ask us, what we like what we dislike and learn about the different views. It's a big shock for teachers to go from a knowledge based book to putting it into practise :smile: Talk to generation you will teach :lol:
Reply 634
I'm meant to be on placement Wednesday but it seems the school will be striking. In that case, I'll stay at home and get some work done!
Original post by jenren22
I'm meant to be on placement Wednesday but it seems the school will be striking. In that case, I'll stay at home and get some work done!

My school is closed to pupils due to the strike but all non-striking staff are expected to go in, and I'm required to by my course, so have you checked with both places that it's OK to stay at home?
Original post by jenren22

As noodles said, make sure you check that's ok. Have you told your school/university that you intend to strike?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by noodles!
My school is closed to pupils due to the strike but all non-striking staff are expected to go in, and I'm required to by my course, so have you checked with both places that it's OK to stay at home?

It's the same for us, the school is closed to pupils, but some staff and a few TAs are going in, I'm going to check with the head on Monday. It's difficult to judge as the guidance we've been given is about not covering for striking staff and not to go in if the school's closed, doesn't really say what to do if it's closed but staff are in.
As a student member to a union you're not actually entitled to strike. I would say if your school is open to anyone you should be in, even if you're just doing desk work all day.
Original post by myblueheaven339
As a student member to a union you're not actually entitled to strike. I would say if your school is open to anyone you should be in, even if you're just doing desk work all day.

It's irritating though, not all the teachers are in, it's just a few TAs because they won't get paid if they don't go in. I haven't got much work for placement to do, it's my last week and I have everything planned already. I have a few bits and bobs I could be doing but not enough to fill a whole day, I'd much rather spend it in the library preparing for my assignment and back to uni tasks. It seems like it's the showing of willing rather than the work done.

I know I have to earn my stripes but I know I'll go in and end up doing 'jobs' all day. It's a waste of a day I suppose. Ah well, anything for QTS! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending