The Student Room Group

Healthy Breakfast Ideas

Hi all,

I thought I would create a thread where we could all share what we eat for breakfast, healthy and filling breakfast ideas and recipes. I really struggle with breakfast as a lot makes me feel ill in the morning. A few years ago I discovered that poached egg on toast did not make me feel ill, so I ended up having that every day. Now although it's a healthy breakfast once in a while, it's not great every day so I've been researching other quick, easy, healthy and filling breakfasts..

One I've just discovered is porridge pancakes! They're really ace, you make them out of porridge oats and milk and don't need eggs or anything. Super healthy and yummy when combined with yogurt, fruit, whatever! If you want I can post the recipe on here.

What are your breakfast staples?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yesterday, I had breakfast at a cafe on Rivington Street in Shoreditch. I had:

2 bacon
2 fried eggs
Chips
Beans
a Fried Slice

can of 7up

It cost £6 and was very nice, thank you very much.
Reply 2
A bowl of porridge made with semi-skimmed milk, a hint of cinnamon and a banana. Costs pennies and gives you all the energy you need to kick start your day!
Reply 3
oats, eggs, wholegrain bread, milk, breakfast meats
Reply 4
Original post by xoxjubixox
Hi all,

One I've just discovered is porridge pancakes! They're really ace, you make them out of porridge oats and milk and don't need eggs or anything. Super healthy and yummy when combined with yogurt, fruit, whatever! If you want I can post the recipe on here.

Please post, this sounds so yummy!

My breakfast:

Wholemeal toast
or
bran flakes with semi-skimmed milk, no sugar.
Although my breakfasts are more at lunchtime because I can't face eating in the morning either, makes me feel ill too. It has to be past 10 am before I can eat.
Reply 5
http://www.thepancakerecipe.com/healthy/oatmeal-pancake-recipe/

This is the recipe I use! They're not very tasty on their own but ace if you sprucet them up with fruit or honey!
Reply 6
Bacon
Sausage
Eggs
Tomato

Game on.
I have two bananas and a glass of milk for breakfast. I know its boring but it has helped me to lose like 1 kg in one week :biggrin:
Full English.

Bang tidy.

This rarely occurs however, oats, milk and banana usually.
Reply 9
today I had a packet of beef hula hoops and some diet lemonade for breakfast. I'm painfully aware that this is a very unhealthy meal though so I don't recommend it.
I started doing fruit smoothies a few months ago and it's fantastic. I get loads of frozen fruit (I'm a big fan of strawberries, blueberries etc.) and throw some of that, a bit of soy yoghurt and some kind of liquid (fruit juice, water, almond milk...) in the blender, sometimes with a bit of agave/cinammon/lemon juice/etc. Takes 30 seconds and it's healthy as well.

I too struggle with breakfast - don't like eating at that time in the morning (but I also don't like eating at college so I skip lunch, therefore making it pretty important that I eat breakfast...) and don't like most breakfast foods. I used to make my own granola bar things but that wasn't a great hit rate cos it didn't always work that well.
Reply 11
Porridge with 2 spoonfuls molasses and a banana
gets me my calcium and iron needs for the day and a lot of vitamin B6

Porridge with honey and a banana.
Anything high fibre and high protein is a good idea for breakfast. How about some bran flakes followed by a boiled egg?
Reply 14
Original post by steve_lewis
Anything high fibre and high protein is a good idea for breakfast. How about some bran flakes followed by a boiled egg?

One boiled egg that's your idea of high protein :confused:
http://www.thepancakerecipe.com/healthy/oatmeal-pancake-recipe/

This is the recipe I use! They're not very tasty on their own but ace if you sprucet them up with fruit or honey!

These sound really interesting :smile: Did you make them in the morning, or the night before and heat them up?
Reply 16
Hi all,

I thought I would create a thread where we could all share what we eat for breakfast, healthy and filling breakfast ideas and recipes. I really struggle with breakfast as a lot makes me feel ill in the morning. A few years ago I discovered that poached egg on toast did not make me feel ill, so I ended up having that every day. Now although it's a healthy breakfast once in a while, it's not great every day so I've been researching other quick, easy, healthy and filling breakfasts..

my absolute favourite breakfast is muesli (alpen is the best) with stewed apples on top.

buy a huge bag of granny smith apples, add some water and sugar and stew them in bulk so you have containers of stewed apples to have on top of cereal whenever you want (you can freeze them too)

stewed apples also go well with any cereal like bran flakes/fruit n fibre, shreddies, weetabix, porridge etc. soooo good!!
Reply 17
another healthy breakfast idea is wholegrain toast with crunchy peanut butter and banana on top - i usually have this for lunch rather than breakfast but it works both ways! (and will leave you feeling satisfied for hours!)
Reply 18
Original post by Periwinkle
I started doing fruit smoothies a few months ago and it's fantastic. I get loads of frozen fruit (I'm a big fan of strawberries, blueberries etc.) and throw some of that, a bit of soy yoghurt and some kind of liquid (fruit juice, water, almond milk...) in the blender, sometimes with a bit of agave/cinammon/lemon juice/etc. Takes 30 seconds and it's healthy as well.

I too struggle with breakfast - don't like eating at that time in the morning (but I also don't like eating at college so I skip lunch, therefore making it pretty important that I eat breakfast...) and don't like most breakfast foods. I used to make my own granola bar things but that wasn't a great hit rate cos it didn't always work that well.

Where do you get frozen fruit? =o

I've always wanted to try smoothies since I can never eat in the mornings but it's far too expensive when using fresh fruit, especially when the good stuff is out of season :tongue:
Reply 19
What do some people not understand about healthy breakfast ideas?

Latest