The Student Room Group

Does anyody else get told that they have a posh accent?

Twice in the last week I have been told that my accent is posh. I am from a pretty normal background; my school is a pretty average comp in a pretty average. I get pretty irked by it as I don't really have a posh accent at all and I'm kind of worried that I sound I might be trying to do an immitation of one. Am I the only weird one out there or do other normal people pronounce their Ts?:smile:

Scroll to see replies

All the time. In reality, it's not posh - it's English with some German hints. It just sounds a bit odd and that's what can make it seem posh.
Reply 2
I get told this a lot!
**** yeah all the time. No idea why I come from the heart of grimy north london where everybody sounds like this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM-F5Ug5kOI
Reply 4
Yep, lots.
Yeah but I don't think I do though
Reply 6
Original post by gmseahorse
Twice in the last week I have been told that my accent is posh. I am from a pretty normal background; my school is a pretty average comp in a pretty average. I get pretty irked by it as I don't really have a posh accent at all and I'm kind of worried that I sound I might be trying to do an immitation of one. Am I the only weird one out there or do other normal people pronounce their Ts?:smile:

wait, you say irked?

I see... :yep:
I get told the same thing as well, I don't think I have a posh accent but I do speak a bit differently to everyone else from my town, but I think it's just because my accent is quite as strong! take it as a compliment if you can....or turn it into a joke?! :smile:
Reply 8
Should we try to get rid of our posh sounding, but definatley not posh, accents or maintain them and be proud of our vowels?
Reply 9
Loads, people say I'm black but 'talk white' :dontknow:
Reply 10
Far too often
Reply 11
Original post by Pride
wait, you say irked?

I see... :yep:

Okay fine :smile: that's just my writing style though, I read the guardian too much.
Original post by Obadetona
Loads, people say I'm black but 'talk white' :dontknow:

I absolutely cant stand things like this.

I remember a fellow black person calling me "white" for reading a book.

He's on the dole now.
I get told the opposite. :tongue:

I went to a private school and stuff but apparently I really don't sound like I did. I had someone insult me by calling me "common" before :laugh:
Reply 14
Original post by gmseahorse
Okay fine :smile: that's just my writing style though, I read the guardian too much.

you read the guardian...?

ahh, I see!
I lived in the south of UK for quite a while so my accent is pretty neutral and therefore posh when spoken to outsiders.
Reply 16
you read the guardian...?

ahh, I see!

Don't diss the guardian it is well good (pathetic attempt not to sound posh ends up being like Lee Nelson)
Yes I get told I have a posh accent for a brown person. Because I don't say innit. I tend to think I'm well spoken/have a neutral accent (and well read!)
Reply 18
I'm not posh, I'm just well spoken.
Original post by Computerised
I absolutely cant stand things like this.

I remember a fellow black person calling me "white" for reading a book.

He's on the dole now.

Same wid da asians ennit, even though they end up doing the most prestigious of jobs where they're required to read tons of books with high level terminology in them.

Lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending