The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6900
Can't believe some of my friends from school are now married with two kids...

Think I'm starting to get a bit lonely, but I always find it impossible to strike the balance between being there for a girl, and achieving my personal goals..

does this ever get easier? :confused:
Original post by Lantana

:ditto: I have a week to get the rest of my procedures signed off :sigh:

Have they changed it so you have to get it physically signed off by a doctor now? I thought that was just final year but they seem too relaxed about it overall.

Apparently im doing some 3rd year teaching soon. Am sooooo nervous you lot seem so dedicated.
Original post by Tech

Think I'm starting to get a bit lonely, but I always find it impossible to strike the balance between being there for a girl, and achieving my personal goals

Original post by n1r4v
Also read through the metabolism discussion a few pages earlier, makes me want to cry, though I was wondering is there any specialty of medicine where knowledge of all that is necessary?

I doubt it.
Reply 6904

actually,

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by n1r4v
Also read through the metabolism discussion a few pages earlier, makes me want to cry, though I was wondering is there any specialty of medicine where knowledge of all that is necessary?

well every bit of medicine uses at least some of it although i gather most people just know that X happens rather than why, not to say they shouldn't though. Clinical genetics is a biggie for inborn errors of metabolism if that's the bit you lean towards. obviously IEMs require a pretty good understanding of the whole process. it's not all just taught for the fun of it.
Original post by fairy spangles
Have they changed it so you have to get it physically signed off by a doctor now? I thought that was just final year but they seem too relaxed about it overall.

Apparently im doing some 3rd year teaching soon. Am sooooo nervous you lot seem so dedicated.

We have to get it signed off by somebody appropriate, which still means doctors most of the time. It's just that the things I need to do, don't seem to be needed in our ward and when I go to the EAU, they've already been done. :cry:

Which means we'll appreciate you teaching us! :tongue:
Original post by n1r4v
Wow, what made you eventually decide on the medicine route?

Being an athlete isn't a stable career and there's only so many years you can play hockey. While if I study Medicine I can have a more stable career and also play hockey on the side but obviously at a much lower level.
Original post by Tech

Think I'm starting to get a bit lonely, but I always find it impossible to strike the balance between being there for a girl, and achieving my personal goals..

does this ever get easier? :confused:

Your friends from school have taken a different route in life though - it doesn't mean you're falling behind, just doing things differently.

As for relationships - you just have to find the right girl, and it'll all come together. I was in a relationship for most of my course from the middle of 2nd year, including an LDR for the last two years (well, semi-LDR - London's not exactly far away but it's a pain in the arse living in 3 places at once). It's not easy, especially if they're doing a less demanding course/job, but if you find the right person, you'll work it out. :smile:
Reply 6909
I'm 18 and one of my friends from primary school has a 2 year old daughter. To think we once traded valentines cards!
Original post by Talexe
I'm 18 and one of my friends from primary school has a 2 year old daughter. To think we once traded valentines cards!

You get used to it... Some of my old schoolmates are now choosing primary schools for their children, and I'm still pretending to be a fresher.
Original post by John Locke
gutted i missed the metabolism discussion.

I hope you don't take offence to this, but you are a very special kind of man.
Original post by RollerBall
I hope you don't take offence to this, but you are a very special kind of man.

i hope the suggestion that i might do doesn't mean you meant it in a negative way :tongue:.
Reply 6914

Well I just worked out that I earn £5.76 a day from attending placement everyday!

I fail to see how that's "working for free" if they're getting money in return (i.e. JSA). :dontknow:
Original post by Lantana
Which means we'll appreciate you teaching us! :tongue:

You wont be saying that soon - they have given me the hardest thing to teach. I think im having a breakdown at the thought of it.
Did some management training recently, among the recognised forms of bad management are 1) the Pidgeon model - fly in, squawk, **** everywhere and leave again; and 2) The Mushroom model - bury in ****, keep in dark. Delightful. The NHS has this in bucketfuls...starting from the health secretary downwards...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I fail to see how that's "working for free" if they're getting money in return (i.e. JSA). :dontknow:

It's a pretty **** system. A mate of mine went through it while in college. He had to work 30 hours a week to get his JSA (he'd be unable to continue in collegue without it). He had to do a couple of week placement (three I think) in ASDA essentially working as free labour. He had the same shifts as everyone else and did exactly the same work but was paid essentially £1.50 an hour.

The worst part is that the ASDA obviously has a job open as it was filling those hours but won't hire anybody as they can get free labour from the job centre. It's a massive piss take.

If the company can offer somebody 30 hours a week of work there is quite clearly a job available there, so why not just put it in as a probational period (where you're paid an actual wage) and if they quit then their job seekers are stopped for six months (I think) because you've quit your job.

This system is deeply flawed.
Original post by RollerBall
It's a pretty **** system. A mate of mine went through it while in college. He had to work 30 hours a week to get his JSA (he'd be unable to continue in collegue without it). He had to do a couple of week placement (three I think) in ASDA essentially working as free labour. He had the same shifts as everyone else and did exactly the same work but was paid essentially £1.50 an hour.

The worst part is that the ASDA obviously has a job open as it was filling those hours but won't hire anybody as they can get free labour from the job centre. It's a massive piss take.

If the company can offer somebody 30 hours a week of work there is quite clearly a job available there, so why not just put it in as a probational period (where you're paid an actual wage) and if they quit then their job seekers are stopped for six months (I think) because you've quit your job.

This system is deeply flawed.

The issue there is if you take someone on as permanent staff, it's damn hard to get rid of them. Surely better to give them a short placement - if it works out, offer a permanent position. If it doesn't, you've filled the spot for a few weeks and the person's got some experience to put on their CV. Offering 3 weeks work placement is not the same as having a job open, it's just 3 weeks where the existing staff don't have to work quite so hard.

Latest

Trending

Trending