The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by myblueheaven339
As a student member to a union you're not actually entitled to strike. I would say if your school is open to anyone you should be in, even if you're just doing desk work all day.

Why have we been getting emails from unions telling us to take action? I'm totally confused by the whole situation.
Original post by *Sparkle*
Why have we been getting emails from unions telling us to take action? I'm totally confused by the whole situation.

It's probably a blanket email sent out to everyone on their mailing lists. This is what I've been told by my course:

"just to clarify the position re strike action - the unions have confirmed that student membership does not permit students to vote in union ballots or to participate in strike action."
Original post by balloon_parade
It's irritating though, not all the teachers are in, it's just a few TAs because they won't get paid if they don't go in. I haven't got much work for placement to do, it's my last week and I have everything planned already. I have a few bits and bobs I could be doing but not enough to fill a whole day, I'd much rather spend it in the library preparing for my assignment and back to uni tasks. It seems like it's the showing of willing rather than the work done.

I know I have to earn my stripes but I know I'll go in and end up doing 'jobs' all day. It's a waste of a day I suppose. Ah well, anything for QTS! :tongue:

I know it's a bit of a pain, I'll probably be sat a a computer all day, and if that's the case I would much rather be at home because I hurt my back in a car crash in september and I know I'll be more comfortable at home.
It's probably a blanket email sent out to everyone on their mailing lists. This is what I've been told by my course:

"just to clarify the position re strike action - the unions have confirmed that student membership does not permit students to vote in union ballots or to participate in strike action."

I dunno, mine was aimed at students. My uni also said that we have a right to strike and sent an email to all our mentors that told them that.

I have decided not to strike though, not because I don't agree, but because I was never balloted in the first place.
2 (not full! :biggrin:) weeks left and I'm starting to think about my goodbyes already- but falling short when it comes to ideas for presents for teachers! Obviously there's the obligatory box of chocs in the staffroom but beyond that for the department, not a clue. It's a small department- I work with my mentor, 2 other teachers and there's my professional tutor- so want to get them all something but have no idea what! I would do wine but I know nothing about wine at all, and I suppose boxes of chocs would be another idea. I've got 2 women and 2 men to buy for, if anyone has any ideas they would be most appreciated!

Also I'm a little bit nervous on the whole about leaving- I'm rubbish at saying goodbye and generally sharing my feelings, but want my mentor to know exactly how much her help and support has meant to me, because I don't think I've ever really shown it. And I've always been useless at this kind of thing- when I left school I wrote cards with really heartfelt messages in to the three teachers who'd always helped me along the way even if they didn't realise it, but chickened out of giving them to them!
Original post by noodles!
2 (not full! :biggrin:) weeks left and I'm starting to think about my goodbyes already- but falling short when it comes to ideas for presents for teachers! Obviously there's the obligatory box of chocs in the staffroom but beyond that for the department, not a clue. It's a small department- I work with my mentor, 2 other teachers and there's my professional tutor- so want to get them all something but have no idea what! I would do wine but I know nothing about wine at all, and I suppose boxes of chocs would be another idea. I've got 2 women and 2 men to buy for, if anyone has any ideas they would be most appreciated!

Also I'm a little bit nervous on the whole about leaving- I'm rubbish at saying goodbye and generally sharing my feelings, but want my mentor to know exactly how much her help and support has meant to me, because I don't think I've ever really shown it. And I've always been useless at this kind of thing- when I left school I wrote cards with really heartfelt messages in to the three teachers who'd always helped me along the way even if they didn't realise it, but chickened out of giving them to them!

Awww that's sad you never gave the cards, they would have meant so much. Our office is full of cards from students, they're absolutely lovely!!

I don't know what to get mine either. I want to get my mentor something nice and the other teachers who's classes I take something smaller. But then every teacher has been nice and helpful to me I don't know what to do. I'm thinking just an epicly big cake and a bottle of something for my mentor.
Awww that's sad you never gave the cards, they would have meant so much. Our office is full of cards from students, they're absolutely lovely!!

I don't know what to get mine either. I want to get my mentor something nice and the other teachers who's classes I take something smaller. But then every teacher has been nice and helpful to me I don't know what to do. I'm thinking just an epicly big cake and a bottle of something for my mentor.

Most teachers get into teaching just so they can get hold of the key to the stationery cupboard, so nice pens/cards etc are always appreciated.
You can't go wrong with nice chocolates, I think. Even if people are dieting, if they're small, they can eke them out. Or something. I'm learning a lot more than I ever wanted to know about dieting and the menopause, just from staffroom conversation.........

In other news, I drew up a list of things I'd like to read before I start writing my next assignment. It's got 45 books and articles on it. There go my evenings for the rest of the week!

Yeah I do wish I had given them to them... says something that it's still something I think about nearly 5 years down the line! I would love to go back and observe there if I possibly can, with my (partial) teacher's view, maybe when my course is finished as it finishes a couple of weeks before the end of term- so if I do ever go back I'll try to get to have a chat with them.

I need to know more about what my mentor likes, she's part time so any conversations we do have are either about work or her frantically trying to make conversation with me about anything because I'm sitting there quietly and just looking miserable! So I don't really know her that well on a personal level. Just going to have to try and talk to her as much as possible when she's in this week, and get what I can out of her!
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Most teachers get into teaching just so they can get hold of the key to the stationery cupboard, so nice pens/cards etc are always appreciated.

Hmm, maybe pens are the way to go actually... might get my mentor a nice pen as she's always moaning about lending the kids hers & never getting them back.

One of the others complains about that too- so I might also get both of them a massive box of cheap biros for their classrooms to lend to the kids... kind of as a joke as we always have a moan about it but equally something practical I guess.
I dunno, mine was aimed at students. My uni also said that we have a right to strike and sent an email to all our mentors that told them that.

I have decided not to strike though, not because I don't agree, but because I was never balloted in the first place.

Fair enough, it's weird that different unis are telling their students different things. I guess then as long as everyone stays within the guidelines of their own unis then they'll be ok.
Fair enough, it's weird that different unis are telling their students different things. I guess then as long as everyone stays within the guidelines of their own unis then they'll be ok.

Hmm. :Even:

My own uni's saying that we can't strike, which is fair enough- I'm planning a very productive day in the library to catch up on some of those 45 articles and books (nearer 50 now, I just kept finding more and more!) before Christmas is spent writing up the damn essay.

Edit to add: ATL are quite bloodthirsty, but actually didn't say "strike":

ATL
Love to teach but can’t afford to teach

I want to share with you the reasons why ATL members are taking strike action over their pensions and how this impacts on you as a student.

My name’s Vicky Josiah and I’m convenor for ATL Future, ATL’s group for students and newly qualified teachers.

I’ve been talking to students about their pensions because they have raised concerns with me over the government’s plans to make you pay more, work longer and get less.

Students are worrying how, when pension contributions increase to 9.8%, they could possibly pay into a pension scheme as well as have enough money to pay off huge student debt and save for treats like holidays, let alone houses.

They’re also wondering how they’ll be physically or mentally able to work until they’re 68 or even longer when their school placements have already shown how tiring the job can be.

Although retirement might be a long way off, students are also figuring out that under the government’s plans to move from final salary to career averaging, their pensions will be an average 20% less than the already modest £10,000 a year the average teacher currently receives.

I know today’s students will be one of the worst affected groups of teachers and so I’m backing ATL in taking strike action now to convince the government to change its mind.

The pensions dispute is the first time ATL has ever taken national strike action in its 127-year history and it is a last resort to persuade the government to rethink its plans.

As a student, you weren't balloted for action because you haven’t yet joined the pension scheme and you aren’t yet in employment, so therefore you aren’t eligible to take strike action. However, if you are on a Teach First or GTP scheme you may be eligible to take action, please contact the pensions helpline for advice: 020 7782 1616.

You can also offer your support for our campaign by joining our Facebook page or writing to your MP using our template letter.

You may be on placement on 30 November, so make sure you talk to your head about whether the school will be open or not. You must make yourself available for work, but if your school’s closed, why not join colleagues at a local event?

With best wishes,

Vicky Josiah
ATL Future convenor
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by FadeToBlackout
Hmm. :Even:

My own uni's saying that we can't strike, which is fair enough- I'm planning a very productive day in the library to catch up on some of those 45 articles and books (nearer 50 now, I just kept finding more and more!) before Christmas is spent writing up the damn essay.

Edit to add: ATL are quite bloodthirsty, but actually didn't say "strike":

I suspect 'backing ATL to take strike action' and actually striking are different things, and the fact that this letter is also addressed to NQTs, who are eligible to strike, I imagine (can't see why not), means their choice of words is a bit vague to allow them to apply to both.
It does say in the email (I just didn't read it properly - when will I learn?) that students can't strike. My mentor told me to stay home but I haven't used an IWB yet so I'll just play with that.
Spoke to school and we aren't expected to go in now, phew. Looks like a day in the library for me!
I plan on hiding in the room I usually work in in the MFL block all day tomorrow anyway, so it'll be like I'm not there. But I won't lift a finger if I don't go in so I need to go in, it will be amazing to get home on Wednesday knowing I've already got everything done for Thursday! (and that I don't have to go in on Friday...)
My course is feeling rather stressful at the moment.
Two days next term [in January] are the bane of my life at the moment. On our timetable, they say 'independent planning days', which we took to mean days at home/library. However, our placement schools believe we are going to them [which does make sense]. Yet, our STCC thinks we are going to him. Whilst our PE tutor has scheduled a four hour PE class on one of the afternoons! And now our Geography tutor wants us all to go and teach a random geography at his school, taking up at least half of one of the two days. :/
I just wish they could make up their mind! Unnecessary timetabling pressures are not welcome, I can tell you, as there is enough going on as it is! :redface:
Just to remind you all -- if your school is open tomorrow and you're going in, you can't be expected/asked to cover for teachers who are on strike.

I'm just mentioning it as people from my PGCE had issues last year as they went into school on the strike day to do some planning/other things as the school was open anyway, and then they were asked to cover classes that had a striking teacher.
Original post by affinity89
My course is feeling rather stressful at the moment.
Two days next term [in January] are the bane of my life at the moment. On our timetable, they say 'independent planning days', which we took to mean days at home/library. However, our placement schools believe we are going to them [which does make sense]. Yet, our STCC thinks we are going to him. Whilst our PE tutor has scheduled a four hour PE class on one of the afternoons! And now our Geography tutor wants us all to go and teach a random geography at his school, taking up at least half of one of the two days. :/
I just wish they could make up their mind! Unnecessary timetabling pressures are not welcome, I can tell you, as there is enough going on as it is! :redface:

Glad timetabling issues are not just relevant to my uni! Although it must be so difficult to plan, I hope it sorts itself out for you!

Any advice for our careers fair on Monday? x
Original post by oxymoronic
Just to remind you all -- if your school is open tomorrow and you're going in, you can't be expected/asked to cover for teachers who are on strike.

I'm just mentioning it as people from my PGCE had issues last year as they went into school on the strike day to do some planning/other things as the school was open anyway, and then they were asked to cover classes that had a striking teacher.

Tut tut. That's both shocking and illegal, if I'm not mistaken.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending