The Student Room Group

Staring at the rejection email or letter all day.

This is a counter part thread for oxford applications. Now, know that this is not the end of the world. Feel free to vent on the thread, or help others feel better. Post your rejection letter; when you got it, and how you feel ( some might be depressed, so make sure you think about your self then others). Then post acceptance to other universities or interview at others.

Here is mine :mad::cry::headhurts: - feelings after reading my reject letter.

Dear Candidate

Thank you for applying to Oxford. I am writing to let you know that the tutors here have had an opportunity to consider your application and that we have now completed the first stages of our selection procedures.

Unfortunately, in view of the overall competition for places this year, and after consultation with other colleges, I am sorry to tell you that we shall not be able to offer you a place at Oxford and that your application is no longer under consideration by any of the colleges here.

The College will be contacting your UCAS referee.............................................................................................................................................................I do realise how disappointing this will be for you and I am sorry not to have better news regarding your application here. I hope, however, that you will be successful in gaining admission to one of the other universities to which you have applied.

Yours sincerely,

Tutor for Admissions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oxford is very competitive, especially for international candidates.
Just keep your head up and look at other options, it isn't the end of the world.
Reply 2
Original post by Bella-Christin
I do realise how disappointing this will be for you and I am sorry not to have better news regarding your application here. I hope, however, that you will be successful in gaining admission to one of the other universities to which you have applied.

Pretentious a**holes. :colonhash:
As you're someone who was looking at attending Oxford, I suspect that your grades are good enough for you to get into another good university. In which case, there's no reason for you to be so emo about this. Good luck with your studies.
Although I'm only 18, and haven't got the wisdom others may have, I will always remember something my grandad once said to me:

Life is the hardest game of football you will ever play. It plays the best formation you will ever see. The strikers attack you at your weakness, find your vulnerabilities but over time you'll learn to brush this off and deal with it. The midfield will work constantly to disrupt your plans, it won't stop until it's successfully taken away the ball and stopped your chances of scoring that goal; the way past is to never stop and never dwell on the things that knock you back because you will get knocked back in your lifetime, more than once. And the final, but the hardest, part of life is beating the defense. The defense is your own weaknesses, your own vices. How you react to what happens in the midfield determines whether or not you'll beat the defense and get that goal you wanted since the moment the ball was given to you. You can win the game, I did.

It was said at a tough time in my life and although this may seem a little OTT to your original post, I pass this on whenever I can because it's the truest thing anyone has ever said to me and I guess now is a decent time to say it on TSR.

On a brighter note you had a lucky escape. The South of England has poor beer and dislikes curry and chips, however that is possible, so I suggest going North. Every cloud and all that. :wink:
Reply 5
**** them, it's their loss!
Reply 6
Some advice for you:

Don't dwell on it. Time's the greatest healer and all that :flute:

I should really take my own advice because my life is a trainwreck right now for other reasons, but hey :moon:
Reply 7
In ten years time, when you've invented - oh, I don't know, hovering houses - write back to Oxford and thank them for considering you.

If not, write a sad song. Or sing along to a sad song. Do something - really, really don't dwell on it. Just gets worse, otherwise.
Original post by ch0llima
I should really take my own advice because my life is a trainwreck

I'm so tired I read this as "I should really take my own life"
Reply 9
i heard (i'm not sure how true it is) that people do not like hiring from Oxford or Cambridge cause they are stuck up douche-bags to put it nicely reading this rejection letter makes me believe that may be right...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kopite493
i heard (i'm not sure how true it is) that people do not like hiring from Oxford or Cambridge cause they are stuck up douche-bags to put it nicely reading this rejection letter makes me believe that may be right...

:lolwut:
Reply 11
Got rejected from Brasenose on Thursday 24th from Ancient and Modern History :frown: "They are no longer considering my application" - Oh well "always look on the bright side of life" :biggrin:
Reply 12
I actually laughed when I finally got my Cambridge rejection. But I'm not sure why that was, because it wasn't very funny :tongue:

The thing worth remembering is that while they're great universities, they're not the be-all and end-all of everything. You may well not have been very happy there anyway. I know that I prefer living in London to living in Cambridge, for one.
That's the most apologetic rejection I've ever seen. The ones I had were 1 liner emails (applied for masters).

Keep your head up, OP. Oxford is a pretty boring town to live in for 3 years and there are other great universities out there.
Reply 14
Original post by IlexBlue
Pretentious a**holes. :colonhash:

So how should it have been phrased then? Is it wrong to recognise the likely impact of the bad news at all, or was there a better way to put it?
Reply 15
Original post by kopite493

I understand that you're upset about not getting an interview, and I'm sorry for you; I know how bad I would have felt if I hadn't got in last year (I'm a current Oxford student). But I wanted to challenge your frankly ridiculous assumption that employers don't like hiring from Oxbridge. To suggest that they actually discriminate against our graduates is nonsense.

Of course I know that not everyone at Oxford gets good jobs, it's not a set-in-stone guarantee; we have to work really hard on filling up our CVs, getting internships, etc. And I know that graduates from other good universities can and do get good jobs as well - don't worry for yourself.

But I have to tell you you're very wrong. I have only been at Oxford for a term, and yet I have seen that for one thing, almost all the high-profile graduate employers actually reserve a certain amount of internships each year for Oxford students (and internships often lead to a job at that company upon graduating). In our careers handbooks, there are quotes from the heads of many top graduate employers saying how they always have a good experience hiring from Oxford because of the high motivation and skills of its students.

And it's silly to assume, on the basis of a letter which a very busy admissions tutor wrote to you, that all Oxbridge students are 'stuck-up douche bags'. I reckon you wouldn't be quite so prejudiced if you had actually got an interview...
Reply 16
If it helps, me and plenty others will be joining you with rejections after interviews anyway.

Keep your head up high! Oxford is definitely not the end of the world, there are plenty of great unis and your degree is what you make of it. I'm sure wherever everyone ends up, they'll have a great time.
has to be better than when you get a music college rejection through CUCKAS, unlike in UCAS when you get an 'unsuccessful' on CUCKAS you get REJECT
Original post by Waldhexe
I understand that you're upset about not getting an interview, and I'm sorry for you; I know how bad I would have felt if I hadn't got in last year (I'm a current Oxford student). But I wanted to challenge your frankly ridiculous assumption that employers don't like hiring from Oxbridge. To suggest that they actually discriminate against our graduates is nonsense.

Of course I know that not everyone at Oxford gets good jobs, it's not a set-in-stone guarantee; we have to work really hard on filling up our CVs, getting internships, etc. And I know that graduates from other good universities can and do get good jobs as well - don't worry for yourself.

But I have to tell you you're very wrong. I have only been at Oxford for a term, and yet I have seen that for one thing, almost all the high-profile graduate employers actually reserve a certain amount of internships each year for Oxford students (and internships often lead to a job at that company upon graduating). In our careers handbooks, there are quotes from the heads of many top graduate employers saying how they always have a good experience hiring from Oxford because of the high motivation and skills of its students.

And it's silly to assume, on the basis of a letter which a very busy admissions tutor wrote to you, that all Oxbridge students are 'stuck-up douche bags'. I reckon you wouldn't be quite so prejudiced if you had actually got an interview...

If you tried just a little bit harder you could have proven his point. ;p
Reply 19
Original post by concubine
If you tried just a little bit harder you could have proven his point. ;p

I was just stating the truth as it is, based on what I have observed around me. And that is, that employers do not discriminate against Oxbridge graduates, unlike what was asserted earlier. It was not a hit at other universities or at people who didn't manage to get in. So I don't see how I somehow proved their stereotype, which by the way is not backed up by the lovely, down-to-earth people I have met here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending