The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ViceVersa
Help?

I know in my interview I have to talk about my work exp, but because I did six different things I'm finding when I talk I sound all over the place. How can I structure it whilst still reflecting on it properly and bringing in key skills like teamwork and communication? :confused:

are these the 'tell me about your work exp' kinda questions, or just questions where you bring in evidence?

if the latter, i wouldn't bring in each different piece in every question - i'd bring in maybe one or two for each question make sure you include a bit about each one but not in the same response.

i dont know if that makes any sense :tongue:
Original post by laurie:)
are these the 'tell me about your work exp' kinda questions, or just questions where you bring in evidence?

if the latter, i wouldn't bring in each different piece in every question - i'd bring in maybe one or two for each question make sure you include a bit about each one but not in the same response.

i dont know if that makes any sense :tongue:

Help?

I know in my interview I have to talk about my work exp, but because I did six different things I'm finding when I talk I sound all over the place. How can I structure it whilst still reflecting on it properly and bringing in key skills like teamwork and communication? :confused:

If you've done quite a bit you could maybe list a few of them but then talk in detail about what you've learnt from one or two of them. Was there a bit of your work experience that stood out? Depending on the reasons why it stood out to you, it may stand out to them perhaps? That's what I like to think anyways because that's what I did :P
Original post by Quackers93
If you've done quite a bit you could maybe list a few of them but then talk in detail about what you've learnt from one or two of them. Was there a bit of your work experience that stood out? Depending on the reasons why it stood out to you, it may stand out to them perhaps? That's what I like to think anyways because that's what I did :P

:tongue: hmmmm well, i've only done 2 (well, 3 but 2 of them were at the same place cause i loved it so much) but i know theres 1 specific case i want to talk about in detail, so if they ask 'tell me about your work exp' i can say the other two, and smaller details and lessons i learnt, but will spend the majority of my time on that specific case because i learnt the most from it and its not something every work experience student goes through :smile:
:tongue: hmmmm well, i've only done 2 (well, 3 but 2 of them were at the same place cause i loved it so much) but i know theres 1 specific case i want to talk about in detail, so if they ask 'tell me about your work exp' i can say the other two, and smaller details and lessons i learnt, but will spend the majority of my time on that specific case because i learnt the most from it and its not something every work experience student goes through :smile:

So you propose I talk about key skills I learned in each work experience/voluntary and then in detail about what stuck out to me and how much I learnt from it?
So you propose I talk about key skills I learned in each work experience/voluntary and then in detail about what stuck out to me and how much I learnt from it?

yeah, obviously you will have learnt things from every placement and you need to highlight those, but surely there were a couple of situations that really stuck out to you as maybe the reason why you want to do medicine or something you never envisioned a doctor would have to do - you could focus on those and just branch out of them, say take a specific case and draw out smaller details that highlight MDTs, tiered healthcare, the social and the academic side of medicine etc.

:smile:
yeah, obviously you will have learnt things from every placement and you need to highlight those, but surely there were a couple of situations that really stuck out to you as maybe the reason why you want to do medicine or something you never envisioned a doctor would have to do - you could focus on those and just branch out of them, say take a specific case and draw out smaller details that highlight MDTs, tiered healthcare, the social and the academic side of medicine etc.

:smile:

Oh I get it, thanks :smile:
Oh I get it, thanks :smile:

i have another mock tomorrow :eek: how much about the reforms are you learning? cause most people have told me i just need a general overview but then after my last mock the guy told me i need to learn more because they expect you to be increasingly analytical of the reforms :/
i have another mock tomorrow :eek: how much about the reforms are you learning? cause most people have told me i just need a general overview but then after my last mock the guy told me i need to learn more because they expect you to be increasingly analytical of the reforms :/

I have another one of tuesday :afraid:

I read generally about what the reforms are and then through the first like 10 pages on the interview prep thread where it talks about it in more detail :yep:
I have another one of tuesday :afraid:

I read generally about what the reforms are and then through the first like 10 pages on the interview prep thread where it talks about it in more detail :yep:

mines with my tutor, which is gonna be awkward because ive never done a mock with somebody who actually knows me, and i hate talking about myself to people i know :eek:
mines with my tutor, which is gonna be awkward because ive never done a mock with somebody who actually knows me, and i hate talking about myself to people i know :eek:

Likewise :colondollar: - I'm fine with complete strangers, but it seems too staged when it's with people you know.
Original post by Joseppea
Likewise :colondollar: - I'm fine with complete strangers, but it seems too staged when it's with people you know.

when its with people i know, it feels like im just boasting and cause im used to having conversations with them, it feels really one sided and awkward :colondollar:

Really? The last one I did in school was with someone who did know me, yeah it is very awkward because you don't wanna express yourself in that way with someone you know :\ Mine's with both my biology teachers so I'm trying to read on IVF properly seeing as I mentioned it in my PS :|

It's awkward but try to be calm :redface:
Really? The last one I did in school was with someone who did know me, yeah it is very awkward because you don't wanna express yourself in that way with someone you know :\ Mine's with both my biology teachers so I'm trying to read on IVF properly seeing as I mentioned it in my PS :|

I (probably foolishly) mentioned stem cells in my PS. Such a broad topic that I'm likely to fail miserably at answering a question about them :colondollar:
Original post by Joseppea
I (probably foolishly) mentioned stem cells in my PS. Such a broad topic that I'm likely to fail miserably at answering a question about them :colondollar:

I feel the same with IVF :sigh: and I even said 'IVF plus the ethical issues concerning it' - basically I have a lot of reading to do.

ive done two, and both of them were with people who didn't know me :tongue:

i mistakenly mentioned so much stuff :eek: GAHHHHH WHY DID I DO THAT
ive done two, and both of them were with people who didn't know me :tongue:

i mistakenly mentioned so much stuff :eek: GAHHHHH WHY DID I DO THAT

I've done three, two of the mocks they didn't know me and one they did.

Same, I have a lot of work to do. I even went as far as mentioning occupational and physical therapy :sad:
I feel the same with IVF :sigh: and I even said 'IVF plus the ethical issues concerning it' - basically I have a lot of reading to do.

I said something like how stem cells will affect treatment.

I'm imagining:

"What kind of treatment?" :zomg:

I can think of things to say now, but guaranteed I'll end up saying something completely stupid like "make toe transplants for people with no toes." :facepalm:
I've done three, two of the mocks they didn't know me and one they did.

Same, I have a lot of work to do. I even went as far as mentioning occupational and physical therapy :sad:

im gonna ask for 2 or 3 more before the actual interview, that should be enough, right?

ive mentioned such a broad range of things - from multiple sclerosis to paediatric heart conditions :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending