The Student Room Group

The truth behind the new jobless generation

Scroll to see replies

" Of the 29.17 million people aged 16 and over in employment in the United Kingdom, 2.56 million are non-British nationals. At the same time there are 2.62 million in this country unemployed"

And this is exactly why I feel politicians should be held accountable for the current unemployment crisis. It's criminal allowing such high immigration to take over jobs from perfectly capable British nationals. If those 2.56 million had not entered the country we'd have a lovely unemployment figure of around 0.06 million, and the billions saved from welfare could be used to lower taxes or improve public services.
Reply 21
Original post by freedom1
Everything you learn by doing a degree can be learned equally as well using the internet and/or books.

If degrees did not give people an edge when getting a job nobody would get one. Why would people pay £9k per year to study something they can study for free if it didn't help them get a job?

Go read up on the history of Universities and their teachings. Learn something, kthanskbye.
Reply 22
Original post by Rant
Civilisation has only advanced through great thinkers. Not through your average self-absorbed person who "just wants to get by".

if you truly enjoy something you often spend your free time doing it. So if someone really enjoys physics by the time it comes to go to university they will already know all the stuff they are taught on the course. This makes it pointless doing the degree.
Reply 23
Original post by Tommyjw
Go read up on the history of Universities and their teachings. Learn something, kthanskbye.

The history of universities = internet did not exist yet.

Done you lose.
The internet has everything libraries have and more.

but u often get incorrect information as well...so library is still kinda better. moreover u get to meet people who might be studying similar subjects.
Also if u want to learn some engineering etc, you cant really do any practical stuff when it comes to high tech stuff on ur own, u gonna need help in the end..
Reply 25
The history of universities = internet did not exist yet.

Done you lose.

Internet has nothing to do with getting the basics of choosing a degree , read what you write rofl.
Reply 26
if you truly enjoy something you often spend your free time doing it. So if someone really enjoys physics by the time it comes to go to university they will already know all the stuff they are taught on the course. This makes it pointless doing the degree.

LOL... just LOL. no, just , no. What a completely uneducated statement.
Reply 27
Original post by zedeneye1

by worthwhile he meant that something about the world he didnt knew about and always wanted to know more detail about. Regardless if its of any use to the industry or not.

Got no problem with that whatsoever. Just don't think I should help pay for it.

I'm not even going to go there on tuition fees as I suspect you haven't studied the changes and how they will work in practice. Many could end up paying less back than they would under the current system.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Tommyjw
LOL... just LOL. no, just , no. What a completely uneducated statement.

How exactly? it is like a French person coming to England to study a French language degree it is completely pointless because they already know it.
Reply 29
How exactly? it is like a French person coming to England to study a French language degree it is completely pointless because they already know it.

What a completely nonsensical example.
Poland, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia and Slovenia - none of those are in Eastern Europe.
Original post by viffer
Got no problem with that whatsoever. Just don't think I should help pay for it

that is wat i just said, u arent paying for it....they have lowered the funding down to almost nothing. the students who want to go uni pays now.
Reply 32
Original post by zedeneye1
but u often get incorrect information as well...so library is still kinda better. moreover u get to meet people who might be studying similar subjects.
Also if u want to learn some engineering etc, you cant really do any practical stuff when it comes to high tech stuff on ur own, u gonna need help in the end..

Incorrect information is unlikely when you use reliable sources. I've been to libraries they are full of old people getting random books, and nobody ever speaks. You are correct with the engineering though.
Reply 33
Original post by Tommyjw

What a completely nonsensical example.

It is nonsensical because? typical Plymouth business student can't support their arguments with actual intelligence just "because i said so" attitude
Reply 34
It is nonsensical because? typical Plymouth business student can't support their arguments with actual intelligence just "because i said so" attitude

Oh dear, ad hom attacks because you have nothing intelligent to say

Let me ask, what is a language course mainly about? Right, learning the language and culture etc. Now.. assuming this french person is native to france, is obviously fluent etc, there is no real reason to get involved with a french degree unless it's a joint honour.

Now. tell me how this is similar to someone studying Physics at A-level, and doing it at degree level? It isn;t.

No-one that finished A-level physics will have the knowledge comparable to someone who has just finished a Physics degree. Done and done.
Original post by Rant
Civilisation has only advanced through great thinkers. Not through your average self-absorbed person who "just wants to get by".

Advancement must be through innovations no? Suppose something must be wrong then with so many degrees and yet :-

Where innovation lies

Nov 16th 2011, 16:54 by The Economist online

Where are the world's most innovative companies and what do they do?

Companies that make semiconductors and other electronic components are collectively the most innovative industry, according to an analysis of patents carried out by Thomson Reuters, an information-services provider. Its "Top 100 Global Innovators" report rates companies by the proportion of their patent applications that are granted; the number of "quadrilateral" patents (those granted in China, Europe, Japan and America); how often patents are cited by other companies; and whether patents relate to new techniques or inventions or are refinements of existing ones. This approach is intended to overcome the limitations of using the number of patents filed or granted as a measure of innovation. Of the 100 companies in the list, which is not ranked and relates to patent activity from 2005-2010, 40 are from America, 27 from Japan and 11 from France. No Chinese companies qualified. The report says this "underscores the fact that although China is leading the world in patent volume, quantity does not equate to influence and quality."
Reply 36
Original post by Tommyjw
Oh dear, ad hom attacks because you have nothing intelligent to say

Let me ask, what is a language course mainly about? Right, learning the language and culture etc. Now.. assuming this french person is native to france, is obviously fluent etc, there is no real reason to get involved with a french degree unless it's a joint honour.

Now. tell me how this is similar to someone studying Physics at A-level, and doing it at degree level? It isn;t.

No-one that finished A-level physics will have the knowledge comparable to someone who has just finished a Physics degree. Done and done.

I thought we were talking about people who are actually interested in the subject, not people who just slightly prefer it to their other subjects. For example someone interested in something will have done far greater research and gone into more depth than an average A-level student.
Reply 37
I thought we were talking about people who are actually interested in the subject, not people who are partially prefer it to their other subjects. For example someone interested in something will have done far greater research and gone into more depth than an average A-level student.

Yep. but they still wouldn't reach the knowledge gained from a 3 year degree. Simple as that.
The whole point of a degree is to get a job. If you want to learn something because you enjoy it then use the internet.

wrong, universities were supposed to be academic institutions that were more focused on producing ideas, innovation and solutions to all areas of life, from government to the private sector. It was never supposed to be a mechanism or a component in an extremely dogmatic machine churning out labour to work in yet more institutions based within the confines of process and delivery. This is the narrative that seems to be peddled by much of the mainstream media who see no value in academic insitutions or academia itself for that matter.
Reply 39
Original post by Tommyjw
Yep. but they still wouldn't reach the knowledge gained from a 3 year degree. Simple as that.

Yes they could. Someone who spends 5 hours a day doing physics instead of watching TV and playing games from ages 12-18, will easily surpass the knowledge of that of a simple 3 year degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending