The Student Room Group

Misfits

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hobo06
Time travel is a complicated subject. They took a risk by introducing it in series one, it worked out fine then, and the way the story unfolded, it was something they couldn't just drop.

They lost Robert Sheehan from the show, presumably unexpectedly at quite a late stage during the production of series 2, else they would have managed to write his departure into series 2. This obviously ballsed up their plans for season 3, but they carried on, re-wrote the best they could, in the time they had (I imagine they were under a lot of pressure from Channel 4 to have another season ready for this year) and I'd say they handled it pretty well.

What kind of stick would they be getting if they just dropped the whole guy-gets-time-travel-power-wanting-to-kill-Hitler thing?

They shouldn't have tackled it in the first place imo :colonhash:

Keeping the plot confined to London worked so well. Introducing these bigger themes just makes it a tad too silly.

Do they have the same writers? The whole vibe just seems different to me from the last two series. It can't just be the departure of Robert Sheehan - although you can really sense his loss to the show. It's not as light-hearted as it was previously. :frown:

And "SAVE ME BARRY!" never failed to crack me up :rofl:
Reply 3781
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
They shouldn't have tackled it in the first place imo :colonhash:

Keeping the plot confined to London worked so well. Introducing these bigger themes just makes it a tad too silly.

Do they have the same writers? The whole vibe just seems different to me from the last two series. It can't just be the departure of Robert Sheehan - although you can really sense his loss to the show. It's not as light-hearted as it was previously. :frown:

And "SAVE ME BARRY!" never failed to crack me up :rofl:

Can't blame them for trying to bring in a few new ideas. Problem is - creators of anything get crap from people if they stick to the same things all the time, and also crap if they try something new. They don't know the reaction until they try, and then learn for the future (assuming there is a future). But this seems it could go either way, some people loved it, others hated it. But, the story is done now. There's not much reason to go back to time travel, other than just for the sake of it.

I actually can't find anything about the writers, everything is just credited to Howard Overman. Channel 4 website doesn't have a breakdown of episode writers, nor does Wikipedia. The credits might shed some more light on that...but that's too much effort for me at this time of night :p:

Edit: Ah missed this bit on Wikipedia, may be part of the reason:
The third series began premiered on 30 October 2011 on E4. It includes new character Rudy (Joe Gilgun) and will be eight episodes long. Unlike the first two seasons, Howard Overman has not written all the episodes, instead bringing new writers on board.

And, irrelevant, but I found this randomly:

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3782
Let's just hope this episode is better.
Original post by Pi!
Let's just hope this episode is better.

MTE.
Original post by hobo06
Can't blame them for trying to bring in a few new ideas. Problem is - creators of anything get crap from people if they stick to the same things all the time, and also crap if they try something new. They don't know the reaction until they try, and then learn for the future (assuming there is a future). But this seems it could go either way, some people loved it, others hated it. But, the story is done now. There's not much reason to go back to time travel, other than just for the sake of it.

I actually can't find anything about the writers, everything is just credited to Howard Overman. Channel 4 website doesn't have a breakdown of episode writers, nor does Wikipedia. The credits might shed some more light on that...but that's too much effort for me at this time of night :p:

Edit: Ah missed this bit on Wikipedia, may be part of the reason:

Spoiler

That Howard guy is a genius :colonhash:

And I watched that gif for far too long.
OMG nazi episode was TERRIBLE, how can Curtis or Alishia be in the episode if the nazis occupy Britain in 1943? the mass immigration of blacks would have never happened WTF!
Here we, here we, here we ****in' go :biggrin:

"Distressing scenes"? :colone:
Reply 3787
Asking a coma patient if they're alright XD
Well now we know why Rudy's on community service. Another mystery of the universe revealed.
:cry: I liked the knobhead probation worker.
Noooo! The probation worker. :frown: R.I.P.
The writers are leaving too many plot holes and too many things do not make sense.

Now there are 3 missing probation workers. They wheeled a person out of a hospital without anyone noticing?
Come on now.
Original post by Curly_hair_girl
Noooo! The probation worker. :frown: R.I.P.

Did I just miss something?? What????
Original post by Mother_Russia
Did I just miss something?? What????

Well if you missed him dying from a stab wound & Rudy mentioning that they were going to bury him, then yes you did.
Original post by History-Student
Well if you missed him dying from a stab wound & Rudy mentioning that they were going to bury him, then yes you did.

Haha, just remembered I'm watching this on e4 + 1. Just saw the probation worker die....haven't got to that part yet!

I'm such a dufus!
Original post by hobo06

Spoiler

:biggrin: Nathan and Kelly's faces :P
Argh, another poor episode. :frown:

The thing is, there are bits I'm still enjoying and in general I want to keep watching because I like the characters and want to see what happens to them... but it's all disjointed and really feels like it's lacking something. It's not as funny as it used to be and the characters are getting a bit boring, tbh.

I can't believe they just watched the probation worker die! That was ridiculous. As he found out about them having the powers, I started envisaging a whole new dynamic to the community service and stuff... then he just died. I don't really care about a new probation worker and it seems like they're not going to address how suspicious it looks now three probation workers have gone missing.

I hate not liking a series after loving the earlier stuff. :frown: It makes me so sad! I'm trying hard to stick with it! Not particularly looking forward to more episodes. :frown:
Original post by takethyfacehence
Argh, another poor episode. :frown:

The thing is, there are bits I'm still enjoying and in general I want to keep watching because I like the characters and want to see what happens to them... but it's all disjointed and really feels like it's lacking something. It's not as funny as it used to be and the characters are getting a bit boring, tbh.

I can't believe they just watched the probation worker die! That was ridiculous. As he found out about them having the powers, I started envisaging a whole new dynamic to the community service and stuff... then he just died. I don't really care about a new probation worker and it seems like they're not going to address how suspicious it looks now three probation workers have gone missing.

I hate not liking a series after loving the earlier stuff. :frown: It makes me so sad! I'm trying hard to stick with it! Not particularly looking forward to more episodes. :frown:

I actually switched it off after 10 mins.

I think this is the end for me and Misfits :frown:
I actually quite enjoyed this episode! Am I the only one? It was a good idea, but maybe they could have executed it better....much like the Nazi episode.

I love Rudy! Still a bit confused about his character and his 'power'. But thumbs up from me :smile:
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
I actually switched it off after 10 mins.

I think this is the end for me and Misfits :frown:

Oh noes! I'm afraid I might follow suit. The fact that House is almost unwatchable too is so depressing... hate it when they let a series go downhill like this. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest