The Student Room Group

?I'm still being paid for job that I finished, should I tell employer...

Basically, I worked for a massive, multinational company but it didn't work out as I was finding it too stressfull and the employer sacked me as I was struggling to juggle the huge amount of work (was having to cover for someone else who was depressed) and I left on Sep 14th of this year. Anyway, they said when they let me go that I would be paid a month's wages after leaving but am not obliged to work.

SO I left then and was paid for that month and I just checked my bank balance and I was paid at the weekend as well (on 26th Nov) for a full month's work. Should I tell them or not bother as its their fault? Is it illegal not to tell them? As I said its such a big company that they may not realise, I don't know. cheers

Scroll to see replies

You should tell them, it's the right and honest thing to do.

That isn't your money and you should return it.

EDIT: Why am I being negged? For not condoning theft? Jeez.
(edited 12 years ago)
If you were paid a month in arrears, then this is all fine.
Reply 3
Wouldn't worry about it. They can't get it back.
Reply 4
Original post by newts2k
Basically, I worked for a massive, multinational company but it didn't work out as I was finding it too stressfull and the employer sacked me as I was struggling to juggle the huge amount of work (was having to cover for someone else who was depressed) and I left on Sep 14th of this year. Anyway, they said when they let me go that I would be paid a month's wages after leaving but am not obliged to work.

SO I left then and was paid for that month and I just checked my bank balance and I was paid at the weekend as well (on 26th Nov) for a full month's work. Should I tell them or not bother as its their fault? Is it illegal not to tell them? As I said its such a big company that they may not realise, I don't know. cheers

Original post by KaramelRose

^ This might be it. You might be thinking they've paid you twice, when really they owe you that money.

Also check the notice period on your contract, was it actually only 4 weeks? They might owe you more money. The reason their paying you for a month's work is because its in lieu of your notice period (most likely).

Original post by IGX_RSV2

Not true. Only in certain circumstances they can't get it back.

It is true that most 'large companies' won't bother, because its not worth their time to chase £1-2,000. It will probably cost them more in legal fees etc and they will just write it off.

But it is incorrect to say they can't get back a payment (or at least claim it), if it was made in error. Especially if you were dishonest and didn't tell them.

It may well be considered theft.
Reply 5
They can get it back, despite what posters are saying here... Most businesses payment mechanisms allow them to reverse transactions (at least where i've worked when they've double paid me by accident). I would put that money, and any subsequent pay checks, into another account and let interest acrue on it, before they take it back. Whatever you do don't spend it because if they try and get it back off you and it's not there it will leave you in a pickle trying to find money you don't have. It isn't, however, your responsibility to run around correcting the screw ups of a business that fired you. And like the poster above said if you were fired in September that means they should have paid you for the month of September at the end of September, plus the extra month at the end of November, so they might actually owe you that money.
(edited 12 years ago)
It might be in appears as has already been said.
If not, you should tell them ASAP. If you leave it and they find out in X months/years (and let's face it, they will notice at some point), you'll be well and truly in the ****.
Reply 7
Original post by KaramelRose

This is most likely to be right, and most commonly what happens
Reply 8
Agree with Elipsis. It CAN be taken back. Do NOT spend it. But yeah, collect interest on it until they've realised their error.
Reply 9
What do you think you should do?

[ s]drumsfingerswaitingandhopingforthedecentandhonestthingtodoanswer[ /s]
Reply 10
Don't tell them, but don't spend it either, just in case!
You may as well contact them about it just in case, to be safe. If it turns out the money is rightfully yours after all, then fine, at least you have peace of mind after that :smile:. Better than risking getting into trouble.
Legally by keeping the money you could get charged with theft.

That's if it did get noticed and chased, which is unlikely.

I would tell them if it were me :smile:
Original post by IGX_RSV2

If it is a mistake they certainly can - although they may well not bother.

If it happens again - report, if not, take the extra month as arrears
Reply 14
Original post by Historophilia
You should tell them, it's the right and honest thing to do.

That isn't your money and you should return it.

I think you're right, what Im going to do is wait and see it it is in arrears and check if I am paid next month, if so, then I will them. I was annoyed that I was fired as I was working really hard and as I said, I was oding two people's work as the other woman was on stress related depression leave.
Reply 15
Original post by Pwn4g3_P13
If it is a mistake they certainly can - although they may well not bother.

If it happens again - report, if not, take the extra month as arrears

yeh, think I'll do that, cheers
Original post by newts2k
I think you're right, what Im going to do is wait and see it it is in arrears and check if I am paid next month, if so, then I will them. I was annoyed that I was fired as I was working really hard and as I said, I was oding two people's work as the other woman was on stress related depression leave.

That sounds sensible. And I'm sorry you lost your job, life can be really unfair sometimes and the job market at the moment is very much weighted towards employers, I wish you look with your future career though :smile:

If you got one job as prestigious as this one then you'll get another!
Reply 17
Tell them about it so that you aren't the 'bad one'.
There are many chances they'll let you keep the money because it's their fault!
Reply 18
spend it! haha
phone them and ask?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending