The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by marcus2001
Well it's an hour long 'mathematics aptitude test' so it will probably be a bit different to the Trinity one. Probably more and shorter questions which require less knowledge, im applying there too btw, is your test interview on the 4th/5th as well?

Yes, so nervous for it... is yours?
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
You know that post you made yesterday about overthinking the easy stuff? This is exactly what you've done here. :p:

That one is separable so I would go for that approach.

This does not bode well for my interview.
**** it, laplace transform ftw:tongue:
Original post by ben-smith
This does not bode well for my interview.
**** it, laplace transform ftw:tongue:

Nah, you'll be fine. They only ask non-standard questions (as far as A-Level is concerned anyway) so there should be relatively few opportunities to "overthink".
Reply 3563
Original post by Icefx
Morse interview at Warwick and cambridge interview :smile:

Congrats :smile:
When did you send your application off ? Are you applying for the 4 year or 3 year course at Warwick ?
So, how is everyone else preparing for cambridge interviews. Anyone got any ideas, so far im working on STEP, BMO(only a few because i dislike them =/), 100 interview questions, general personal statementm, re-reading books. Any other suggestions?
Original post by maths134
So, how is everyone else preparing for cambridge interviews. Anyone got any ideas, so far im working on STEP, BMO(only a few because i dislike them =/), 100 interview questions, general personal statementm, re-reading books. Any other suggestions?

That'll be more than enough. Just remember to go in with an open mind, not to treat the situation as if though you're being interrogated and make sure to demonstrate that you're a good listener.
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
That'll be more than enough. Just remember to go in with an open mind, not to treat the situation as if though you're being interrogated and make sure to demonstrate that you're a good listener.

Thanks =D. I mean im really nervous but have pretty much convinced myself im not going to get an offer anyway... Maybe i should think more +ve. Perhaps i should try what i did on my driving test (im useless at driving and havnt driven since i passed like 6 months ago, the test was the worst experience of my life...) and just be really happy lol.
Reply 3567
Original post by Chiraga
Congrats :smile:
When did you send your application off ? Are you applying for the 4 year or 3 year course at Warwick ?

Sent it like 13th of October, and I'm doing the three year one, u?
Hey

In terms of preparation, my main advice would be to make sure that you know your stuff. You don't want to do a question but not be able to do it because you don't know your simple stuff. I would advice you to go over graph sketching (IMPORTANT!!!!) I say this as you would more likely have some form of a graph to work with whilst doing your interviews. I would also say that if you get a problem, try and lay out the problem so that it makes it seem simple and therefore your thoughts would be straight. Remember (and this might have been mentioned on the thread) that they are here to help you and not to catch you out. They want to see that you are able to think, but if you are genuinely stuck ask for some guidance :tongue:
I just hope my interview doesn't revolve around anything other than maths too much. In the likely event that I am rejected, I want it to be because I wasn't good enough, not because I couldn't reel off a load of rubbish about stuff in my personal statement. I can talk about that stuff, in fact I'd probably enjoy it but stil...
Reply 3570
Original post by ben-smith
I just hope my interview doesn't revolve around anything other than maths too much. In the likely event that I am rejected, I want it to be because I wasn't good enough, not because I couldn't reel off a load of rubbish about stuff in my personal statement. I can talk about that stuff, in fact I'd probably enjoy it but stil...

Could not agree more the ability thing (although knowing that roughly 40% get offers is comforting for Cam:wink:).

That's why I will be doing STEP this year after my Ox rejection, just to see how far off the mark I am...
Reply 3571
Original post by cpdavis
Hey

In terms of preparation, my main advice would be to make sure that you know your stuff. You don't want to do a question but not be able to do it because you don't know your simple stuff. I would advice you to go over graph sketching (IMPORTANT!!!!) I say this as you would more likely have some form of a graph to work with whilst doing your interviews. I would also say that if you get a problem, try and lay out the problem so that it makes it seem simple and therefore your thoughts would be straight. Remember (and this might have been mentioned on the thread) that they are here to help you and not to catch you out. They want to see that you are able to think, but if you are genuinely stuck ask for some guidance :tongue:

Thanks for the advice. In your interviews did they ask you anything about personal statement or why Cambridge?/ why maths?
Original post by deejayy
Thanks for the advice. In your interviews did they ask you anything about personal statement or why Cambridge?/ why maths?

Well in my first interview, they asked if I had a good journey up to Cambridge and if I am enjoying my time. In my second interview, they picked up on the part where I mentioned I self taught my A levels. But that was it really :smile:
Does any one have an interview on the 6th of December at Clare's college Cambridge??
And does anyone have a clue at what they might ask at these interviews.
I've heard they ask you to do some weird things, they asked my friend to describe an egg :confused: :confused:
Original post by maths134
Yes! aha. who were you?

I was the asian one who walked in about 10 minutes late and was a little grumpy and didn't say anything as I hated UCL!
Original post by umarhussain26

Original post by umarhussain26
Does any one have an interview on the 6th of December at Clare's college Cambridge??
And does anyone have a clue at what they might ask at these interviews.
I've heard they ask you to do some weird things, they asked my friend to describe an egg :confused: :confused:

In a Maths interview, I doubt they're going to ask you to describe an egg. Although... it would be quite a fun task. I'd say that Maths interviews are probably mostly about assessing how you are able to apply your mathematical knowledge to new situations, and (apparently) how well they think they'd be able to teach you new ideas.
Offer from Durham!!!!!!!!!!!
Does anyone know what to wear to the UCL introductory day to maths dept? is it a formal visit or can i wear jeans with a sweater? im so confused :s-smilie:
Original post by Liyanajamain
Does anyone know what to wear to the UCL introductory day to maths dept? is it a formal visit or can i wear jeans with a sweater? im so confused :s-smilie:

Yeh I went. A few people wore like suits and stuff. I just wore a top, hoodie and jeans with a nice hat =p. I don't think it matters lol
Original post by Ultimate1992
Offer from Durham!!!!!!!!!!!

Already? Wow! Congrats. I'm still waiting to hear from them...

Latest