The Student Room Group

You ever quit your job without notice because they treat you so bad?

The employer I work for treats me like absolute crap. I hate my job and It makes me feel depressed. I dread going in on a weekend and i'm at the peak of what I can take. I'm quitting and not going back.

Has anyone else ever done this?

I'm on the fence wondering whether I should hand in my notice or not. Part of me says no because i can't stand another 3 mins of working there. Such bitches.

I've got my student loan to survive on (rent is cheap) and I'm on placxement anyway, so I never have a day off. I want more experience anyway (voluntary jobs) so when I leave I can take my first steps as an entreprenur.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
DON'T leave without giving notice, your employer can with hold your final pay & could sue you for having to hire a new person.
I have, don't do it. If/when you try to get a new job in future you're going to have a really hard time trying to justify why you walked out. And you will probably need your previous employer as a reference in future!

Just hand in your notice and focus on the fact that you've only got x amount of hours left to work before you can leave for good. Chin up :hugs:
I left my job in McDonalds without notice, after one year of being spoken to and treated to like dirt I just couldn't take it any more and broke down. I didn't get my final pay (luckily was only a couple of days) and none of my other employers have ever chased up a reference from them. I have a great job now and as McDonalds was 3 jobs ago, I'll never need a reference from them!

But obviously this was my first job and it was only McDonalds (where people walked out pretty much every day without notice, so it was common practice) and whilst I don't regret it, I'd never do it again.
Reply 4
I gave my notice and then called in sick each week
Reply 5
Anyone who leaves a job without giving notice is a fool.
Reply 6
Nope because I believe that in the world of business you should always stay as professional as possible no matter what. As soon as you lose your cool you have lost.
Yes. Quit a job (which I'd been working in for four years) and just had enough because my boss was a horrible lady. I had put up with her for a long time. I'd always stay longer to help clean up, would work extra days to cover other people (I worked part time in a nursery during GCSEs and A-levels) during holidays etc. She was rather rude so one day whilst on the phone I just announced 'well I quit!' and that was that.

There was only a few other ladies working there who were nice but most were chav-like girls who had only finished GCSEs/college and gone straight into work. But I put up with it as love working with children, the nice thing about working for so long was you'd see the children grow up. Some from a few weeks old to pre-school. :cute:

Edit: why the neg :erm:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
I handed in my notice but I phoned in sick for my last shift because I hated the job so much and had already started in my new one!
Original post by Sakura-Chan
I have, don't do it. If/when you try to get a new job in future you're going to have a really hard time trying to justify why you walked out. And you will probably need your previous employer as a reference in future!

Just hand in your notice and focus on the fact that you've only got x amount of hours left to work before you can leave for good. Chin up :hugs:

TBH I have enough refernces from employers. A retail reference doesn't mean anything to me because retail is slavery work. The private sector sucks. I've never worked for a decent private sector company. I'm 24 and got crazy references. Retail sucks. I'm not scared of them. I get paid the next week so i'll take my money, get my christmas voucher (to spend in store, therefore pumping more money into the buisiness) and run. I have the last laugh

I struggle to put all my work experience and training on my CV.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
I did it, and I dont regret it. They treated me so bad I just stopped.
Reply 11
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
Yes. Quit a job (which I'd been working in for four years) and just had enough because my boss was a horrible lady. I had put up with her for a long time. I'd always stay longer to help clean up, would work extra days to cover other people (I worked part time in a nursery during GCSEs and A-levels) during holidays etc. She was rather rude so one day whilst on the phone I just announced 'well I quit!' and that was that.

There was only a few other ladies working there who were nice but most were chav-like girls who had only finished GCSEs/college and gone straight into work. But I put up with it as love working with children, the nice thing about working for so long was you'd see the children grow up. Some from a few weeks old to pre-school. :cute:

+rep because I enjoyed your story :smile: and to even out the neg :tongue:
I quit a part-time job where I was essentially bullied by one of the managers - went over his head to the manager above and said it was affecting my uni work, popped a couple of tears about the stress I was under being in my 3rd year and all, and he agreed to halve my notice period so long as I stayed late on a couple of days to help train up a new person. It was slightly manipulative but to be fair I WAS under stress (just not with the volume of work!)
Original post by Doofy
+rep because I enjoyed your story :smile: and to even out the neg :tongue:

Haha thank you :tongue:
This exactly happened to me! I quit my job because my boss being such rude old lady.. I want to work in a nursery too as I am currently studying Early Years level 3 I love children!
Reply 15
Original post by rhythmb
Anyone who leaves a job without giving notice is a fool.

Depends how long they've worked there. If they've invested 6 months or more then yex but if less then meh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan

That sounds like a nursery I used to work at.
Original post by Sakura-Chan

I agree.
I was tempted to walk out from my last job. Glad I didn't lower myself to the horrible managers level and do it though.
Reply 18
I just quit after 2 1/2 years for the same reason. I’m almost done with my degree and I’m tired of being treated like ****. I just no call no showed. **** it

Latest

Trending

Trending