The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Offers/Rejection Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Has anyone heard back for English or History at Durham yet?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
...still waiting for a reply to my English (Q300) application.
Original post by PenningtonTDA
...still waiting for a reply to my English (Q300) application.

Original post by 67sunsets
Has anyone heard back for English or History at Durham yet?

It certainly doesn't look like anybody's heard from English so far - don't remember reading about any History offers either. I don't have high hopes for my chances, though, anyway, since my GCSEs are a bit sub-par...
Original post by LeSacMagique
I don't have high hopes for my chances, though, anyway, since my GCSEs are a bit sub-par...

how so?
Original post by PenningtonTDA
how so?

Applying for English and I have 2 A*s, 7 As, and a B - I know nationally they're pretty good, but I've heard horror stories about how people who asked for feedback in previous years were told that 8 A*s was something of a cut-off point.
Well, as you probably know it's best not to believe everything you hear regarding UCAS :smile: I wouldn't worry, the only thing there is to do now is waittttttt.
Original post by LeSacMagique
Applying for English and I have 2 A*s, 7 As, and a B - I know nationally they're pretty good, but I've heard horror stories about how people who asked for feedback in previous years were told that 8 A*s was something of a cut-off point.

The gcse rumour simply isn't true as was told on open day :smile: so chill, you have nothing to worry about! The general talk at Durham stated that it doesn't matter how many a*s you have, it's about whether they want you as a person, if they see something unique, I am sure they will find it hard to reject you :smile: good luck on your Ucas application!
Reply 47
has anybody with an offer heard back from the allocated college? :smile: Was it changed?
Has anyone heard back who's applying for classics? I sent in my UCAS mid-October and I've yet to hear anything. I'm starting to worry.
Reply 49
Original post by Schlegel
has anybody with an offer heard back from the allocated college? :smile: Was it changed?

when do they usualyl reply about that? after the Jan 15th deadline maybe?
Reply 50
Original post by ulysses13
when do they usualyl reply about that? after the Jan 15th deadline maybe?

No idea, but the decision letter says 'One of our colleges will contact you shortly to confirm details of your allocated college.' In my case I don't think it's gonna change, as St. John's doesn't seem to be terribly popular.

Did you get an offer? Congratz! course/college?
Reply 51
Hey hey! I'm applying for anthropology, I think Durham is going to be my top choice, but I'm not sure! Really want an offer.

One of my friends said those who applied early (sept/ early oct) would most likely get offers before Christmas. I know how dangerous hearsay is, however. No idea where she heard it!
Reply 52
So Durham has started making Law offers as early as September (according to OP)? I applied in mid-October and haven't heard back yet. :redface:
Reply 53
Original post by Schlegel
No idea, but the decision letter says 'One of our colleges will contact you shortly to confirm details of your allocated college.' In my case I don't think it's gonna change, as St. John's doesn't seem to be terribly popular.

Did you get an offer? Congratz! course/college?

yeah i got an offer for general engineering, applied to St. Aidans which isnt really overly popular so should get that. :smile:
Reply 54
@LeSacMagique I'm worried too.. I applied for History, 2nd most competitive department, and there's also that 8A* (or 6, depends who you hear) is the cut off point..
Original post by cbyrnex
@LeSacMagique I'm worried too.. I applied for History, 2nd most competitive department, and there's also that 8A* (or 6, depends who you hear) is the cut off point..

There really isn't a cut off point!
Reply 56
Original post by shirley0y

So Durham has started making Law offers as early as September (according to OP)? I applied in mid-October and haven't heard back yet. :redface:

Hi Shirley! If you're referring to my previous post about having received a Law offer much earlier, its because i applied late in the previous application period for a deferred entry in 2012 and managed to get a place. So in a way, my place was received much later than the average application for this year, but much earlier than that of for next year=)
Reply 57
Original post by cgreg.low
Hi Shirley! If you're referring to my previous post about having received a Law offer much earlier, its because i applied late in the previous application period for a deferred entry in 2012 and managed to get a place. So in a way, my place was received much later than the average application for this year, but much earlier than that of for next year=)

Thanks for the relief! :smile:
Which college did you choose? I chose St. Cuthbert because of its location at the tip of the river :tongue:
So you're taking a gap year?
Reply 58

Thanks for the relief! :smile:
Which college did you choose? I chose St. Cuthbert because of its location at the tip of the river :tongue:
So you're taking a gap year?

No problem- can imagine the stress my post must have caused! I chose Hatfield college because I taught it had a nice balance of sports and traditions (Want to pick up a sport=) Yeap, I do agree that St Cuth's location is pretty! Well, yea kinda of a gap year (its a long story really, I was from another law school in Aus for this 'gap' year) You deciding to read law too?
Original post by sophia_
I'm starting a Philosophy degree there later this week.

I'm also trying to do Philosophy at Durham as an undergraduate. What courses did you take in high school ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending