The Student Room Group

Falling asleep in lectures tips?

This happens to me only during lectures, I'm getting enough sleep so that is not it. The room is about 26C, and during some (the ones that its hard to stay awake in) the lights are really dimmed, there are no windows. I never actually fall asleep, I just go into a kind of super NREM state, and series of microsleeps, the problem is I have to concentrate on staying awake.

I understand this is reasonably common, are there any tips to prevent this (it only happens in the lectures where the lights are dimmed) and afterwards Im wide awake.

Scroll to see replies

Invest in some sleeping glasses.
Reply 2
I thought you were asking for tips to get to sleep in lectures

Someone told me once that rubbing your ear lobes is supposed to make you feel more awake..!
Reply 3
Original post by QuantumOverlord
This happens to me only during lectures, I'm getting enough sleep so that is not it. The room is about 26C, and during some (the ones that its hard to stay awake in) the lights are really dimmed, there are no windows. I never actually fall asleep, I just go into a kind of super NREM state, and series of microsleeps, the problem is I have to concentrate on staying awake.

I understand this is reasonably common, are there any tips to prevent this (it only happens in the lectures where the lights are dimmed) and afterwards Im wide awake.

This is useful to me so subbed.
Sit right in front of the lecturer with a Red Bull.
Original post by Bill_Gates

Invest in some sleeping glasses.

These are what I need in my life :teeth:
I don't want to resort to energy drinks or caffeine, to solve the problem. This seems to be common for alot of students, is there any other way of preventing this?
Reply 7
As obvious as it is. I find that active listening is the best way. If you have the lecture printed out then underline the key part as it is said. If not then take notes of all the key parts. Doing that means im doing something and keeps me awake... which when i only have 40 people on the course is pretty important.
Sit right infront of the lecturer and listen and ask questions. The more you interact with the lecture, the more awake you'll be.

I know this cos in one lecture the teacher randomly asked a guy to explain what he just said. he now always asks someone to explain what the slide says and nobody falls asleep in case he picks them lol
Put your phone on record
Reply 10
Sit at the front. Imagine the lecturer throwing a machete at you every time you nod off. If that doesn't keep you alert...don't ever join the army.
Start downing epinephrine tablets before lectures

whats with the freaking reps? other people are suggesting self mutilation as a tactic?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Take a semi-sharp object like a compass and commit to stabbing yourself in the leg every-time you catch yourself nodding off.
Make sure there's someone next to you that can elbow you everytime you nod off - works for me :smile:
Wear less clothes. (noooo not like thaaaaat)
If you're cold then you won't nod off.

Also get up earlier so you're more alert by the time you get to lectures.
tube up the penis?
Reply 16
Have a look here.

http://www.wikihow.com/Stay-Awake-at-Work

Also, your lecturer may not see the problem, ask him/her to turn on the lights in the middle of the lecture for a few minutes.
Reply 17
Record the lecture and give in to the sleepiness, that's what I do, I even go into a deep enough sleep to allow me to dream ;-)
Reply 18
Sit right at the front so you have to stay awake whether you like it or not.

Double espressos. I have a bona fide habit. For those who already have a tolerance, try buying unground coffee beans and snacking on those.

Take notes (obviously - I'd be worried if people didn't in the first place :tongue:)

Get a decent night's sleep before :wink:
Original post by TheRandomer
Wear less clothes. (noooo not like thaaaaat)
If you're cold then you won't nod off.

Also get up earlier so you're more alert by the time you get to lectures.

How does this get a neg and 'tube up the penis' guy below doesnt!?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending