The Student Room Group

Racism on the Tram!!! Appalling!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blu tack

Only 2.3% of MPs are non-white. This is less than the % in the general population. Therefore they are underrepresented.

Doesn't show they are underrepresented because of their race though. How many ethnics want to be MPs? Don't a lot of ethnic minorities under achieve in education? Nothing to do wit white privilege. Ethnic miniorites tend to have lower socioeconomic statuses.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by effofex
Surely it is well known that this 'privilege' applies only to a select few white people (in the context of the UK - particularly those who are connected to the landowning classes/old aristocracy) and that the majority of the white population do not really benefit from it.

You'd think so wouldn't you?

This is why people must always be treated as individuals; a normal white person should never be lumped in with the aristocrat who is favoured by society and happens to be white (as Britian was 99+% white when the land was divided up).
But to deny white privilege is just ridiculous.

It's not ridiculous when so far no-one has been able to provide evidence of its existence beyond a check-list that for the most part states the obvious (that there are far more whites than non-whites in western countries).

And I'll tell you as someone who grew up in a part of Britain that is exclusively white, where you could live your entire life without seeing a non-white person, that the people I grew up with were blind to race. :smile:
Have a look at the white privilege checklist--
http://www.fpg.unc.edu/~scpp/pdfs/whiteprivilegechecklist.pdf

That was absurd, mixed race people are overrepresented in the media/music industry. Is it racism, no they got the job on their own merits (I hope). As for the hair thing, it's supply and demand and there are more white people than black people.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by PendulumBoB
Police target young black males as they are statistically more likely to commit crime. Considering the fact that most black crime is black on black, this makes sense for everyone.

However black people have a high percentage of being cautioned or released compared to white people who go into the next stage of being imprisoned. Does that not then show that the black people are being stopped uneccessarily?
Your vodka is Russian. Your pizza is Italian. Your kebab is Turkish. Your democracy is Greek. Your coffee is Brazilian. Your movies are American. Your tea is Sri Lankan. Your shirt is African and Indian. Your oil is Saudi Arabian. You car is Japanese. Your electronics are Chinese. Your numbers are Arabic, your letters Latin. And you complain that your neighbour is an immigrant? Pull yourself together, the English need other races in England. Uneducated, benefit scrounging, retarded woman.
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Doesn't show they are underrepresented because of their race though. How many ethnics want to be MPs? Don't a lot of ethnic minorities under achieve in education? Nothing to do wit white privilege. Ethnic miniorites tend to have lower socioeconomic statuses.

Okay so why do ethnic minorities under achieve in education? Why don't they want to be MPs? Why do they tend to have lower socioeconomic status?
Original post by erniiee
They are not. They make up 56.3% of the population, of which 46.9% are White British. The next biggest ethnic group are the Bangladeshi which are even less than half of the white population at 22.1%.

Many of the whites are from all over Europe right?
Reply 1068
Not surprised. White people are racist to the damn core!
Original post by Smack
It's not ridiculous when so far no-one has been able to provide evidence of its existence beyond a check-list that for the most part states the obvious (that there are far more whites than non-whites in western countries).

And I'll tell you as someone who grew up in a part of Britain that is exclusively white, where you could live your entire life without seeing a non-white person, that the people I grew up with were blind to race. :smile:

Why haven't you addressed this - http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/oct/18/racism-discrimination-employment-undercover - which shows that the more English your name is, the more likely you are to be called for a job interview?
Original post by Sharpshooter
Exactly, so what Gnobe was saying was true. If we achieve to aim towards a society like that maybe we will get it eventually with a liberal immigration policy.

Right so become the racist to prevent racism? Genius.

Tell me, how long before Muslims start marrying black and white people en masse.
That was absurd, mixed race people are overrepresented in the media/music industry. Is it racism, no they got the job on their own merits (I hope). As for the hair thing, it's supply and demand and there are more white people than black people.

Oh hey, you forgot to address this - http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/oct/18/racism-discrimination-employment-undercover

and also about ethnic minority representation in parliament, executive positions etc.
One of the things which shocked me most about this video is the fact that I showed it to my White housemates and a couple of them did not see what the big deal was. They told me that they hear this kind of thing from friends and family members regularly,perhaps not said in such a vile manner,but they have heard these same points made countless times before. This worries me because I have always assumed that it has always been a small minority of England who share such an uneducated opinion,but the fact that 4 of my housemates said this is nothing new to them and they know many people who do not consider ethnic minorities 'British' even if they were born here.
Yeah she wouldn't be saying that if she moved abroad would she.
Reply 1074
Im moving out of this country.
Oh hey, you forgot to address this - http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/oct/18/racism-discrimination-employment-undercover

and also about ethnic minority representation in parliament, executive positions etc.

Sorry (genuine accident :tongue:)

It wasn't really a representitive sample, also perhaps I'm being silly but I really wouldn't assume, "Alison Taylor" is black. :s-smilie:

Parliament is dominated by aristocrats (not normal whites) and I'm sure the exectutive position thing would improve if the academic attainment of minority groups improved.

Okay so why do ethnic minorities under achieve in education? Why don't they want to be MPs? Why do they tend to have lower socioeconomic status?

Because they have low socioeconomic status same reason as to why working-class whites also don't achieve highly. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7843007.stm Look at this report, white working class students are disadvantaged. They do worse than black students in education. Why are they in lower socioeconomic situations? Because they've been here less + generally come from poorer countries + culture plays a part. Indian working class students do much better than black working class students. Indian culture emphasize on education and the same applies to some black communities e.g. Nigerian, Somalian etc but in general it doesn't apply especially in regards to Black British or Caribbeans.

"The report suggests that the white working classes are losing out in areas from housing to health. '

Why don't they want to become MPs? Because education isn't valued highly in that community and becoming an MP isn't a goal that's valued. Semi-educated/educated people in that community also tend to believe bull**** conspiracy theories about parliament.
(edited 12 years ago)
Sorry (genuine accident :tongue:)

It wasn't really a representitive sample, also perhaps I'm being silly but I really wouldn't assume, "Alison Taylor" is black. :s-smilie:

Parliament is dominated by aristocrats (not normal whites) and I'm sure the exectutive position thing would improve if the academic attainment of minority groups improved.

You don't think 3000 job applications is enough to get even a reasonable idea? And Alison Taylor is the white British name...
Original post by DontJudge
However black people have a high percentage of being cautioned or released compared to white people who go into the next stage of being imprisoned. Does that not then show that the black people are being stopped uneccessarily?

Surely that shows that the police are infact fair.

If black people commit more crime than their population suggests they should, it makes sense for the police to search them more and to deny this is to do a massive disservice to the victims of black crime, who more often than not are in fact black.
(edited 12 years ago)
You don't think 3000 job applications is enough to get even a reasonable idea? And Alison Taylor is the white British name...

No and my mistake. :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending