The Student Room Group

What's the WORST thing about your PhD topic?

This might seem an odd question but I'm interested in what people think.

My PhD topic is looking at war and conflict in graphic novels - the worst thing being that people don't take it seriously. Apparently all I do is read comics all day - news to me! :rolleyes:

How about others?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That is a very interesting topic. I remember thinking about impact when I saw the series of programmes on TV:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/comicsbritannia/comics-britannia.shtml

It must be difficult to be taken seriously, but then do you want to ?

TBD
Original post by TBD
That is a very interesting topic. I remember thinking about impact when I saw the series of programmes on TV:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/comicsbritannia/comics-britannia.shtml

It must be difficult to be taken seriously, but then do you want to ?

TBD

Though I love my topic completely (can you tell I'm only a baby PhD student) it does get very trying listening to constant 'oh that's a stupid topic' and 'do you read the Beano?'

Thank you for the link.
Reply 3
I remember watching quite casually and then getting sucked-in to the explanation of the socio-political background of the country at the times the comics were released, and how they changed over the years. I also have memories of a discussion of violence in comics especially the "Victor" "Battle", "Commando" and "Warlord". As a kid I used to love this stuff.

Also I remember recently seeing a documentary about the way in which war movies changed in the 20th century: before the war, the heroes were officers and gentlemen, but during the war it became necessary to motivate the troops and the focal characters were tommy infantryman. This reverted again once the war was safely won..Your take on this (being in Germany) may be slightly different to mine, but even though I have watched hundreds of them, I have never realised...

They have a very good War Studies department at Kings College which may be able to provide some resources for your research.

TBD
Original post by TBD
I remember watching quite casually and then getting sucked-in to the explanation of the socio-political background of the country at the times the comics were released, and how they changed over the years. I also have memories of a discussion of violence in comics especially the "Victor" "Battle", "Commando" and "Warlord". As a kid I used to love this stuff.

Also I remember recently seeing a documentary about the way in which war movies changed in the 20th century: before the war, the heroes were officers and gentlemen, but during the war it became necessary to motivate the troops and the focal characters were tommy infantryman. This reverted again once the war was safely won..Your take on this (being in Germany) may be slightly different to mine, but even though I have watched hundreds of them, I have never realised...

They have a very good War Studies department at Kings College which may be able to provide some resources for your research.

TBD

What a useful chap you are to have around!

I'm mainly looking at Art comics (Maus, American Widow, 9/11 Responses, that sort thing) but also trying to build up a picture of the American situation using the shifts in superhero portrayals too. I'll take a look at the others you mentioned too - though I think Commando, Victor and Battle are British, so that would disqualify them, as my focus is on American works.

Thanks for the tips!

Also... I'm not in Germany - just a German in the UK :cool:
Reply 5
90% of the good people are based in Canada or the USA.
Reply 6
For whatever PhD you do you have to include stuff you're not interested in to cover your bases. The dry statistics necessary for mine are far from riveting.
Reply 7
Just starting a review on Chemotaxis models which so far doesn't seem particularly interesting...
Reply 8
That I have not yet found one.
Reply 9
Waiting for parts/glassware to be made. Waiting for orders to arrive. Waiting for grant applications to be written/approved/rejected.
Reply 10
That the journals relevant to my field are as far away as pluto is. Its not even a planet.

Like that.
Reply 11
That I feel more and more like a jack of all trades.
Reply 12
Having to read blackletter Gothic for some of my primary texts. A few hundred pages' worth of blackletter Gothic.:sigh:
Reply 13
General thesis topic observation : alternating between being overfaced by too much information and panicking over lack of specific information.

TBD
Original post by Serano
Just starting a review on Chemotaxis models which so far doesn't seem particularly interesting...

But it sounds so impressive! To me at least...
Reply 15
Original post by I<3GraphicNovels
But it sounds so impressive! To me at least...

It's something to do with biology and animals moving towards food or something lmao but it's modelled by some nasty system of non-linear partial differential equations.. wohoo!
Original post by hobnob
Having to read blackletter Gothic for some of my primary texts. A few hundred pages' worth of blackletter Gothic.:sigh:

I bet English applicants roll over in delight at the prospect :wink:
Reply 17
Worst thing about my PhD topic?

Doing an experiment one day and repeating the exact same experiment the following day only to get entirely different results. Drives me nuts.
Reply 18
I haven't got one :frown: I wish i had a pre-determined one
Original post by ChemiEng

Doing an experiment one day and repeating the exact same experiment the following day only to get entirely different results. Drives me nuts.

Wow... you must have incredible patience to not go mad doing that...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending