The Student Room Group

Racism on the Tram!!! Appalling!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PendulumBoB
Surely it also shows that the police are fair.

If black people commit more crime than their population suggests they should, it makes sense for the police to search them more and to deny this is to do a massive disservice to the victims of black crime, who more often than not are in fact black.

I've already told you, that they get let off after being stopped and searched, does that notspeak volumes to you, just shows it's stupid stereotypes.

What do you mean black crime? It's outrageous that crime is depicted according to someones race.

Because no one had shown it to me yet?

which shows that the more English your name is, the more likely you are to be called for a job interview?

Did those who had non-English sounding names clearly state on their CVs or application forms that they were fluent in English?

And are you ever going to admit that your check-list was stupid as most of the points are to be expected given that this country is overwhelmingly white?
This is a continuation of what Annoying-Mouse said btw.

Does the fact that people think that whites are conspiring against them contribute to underachievement? "Don't bother applying there the nasty white man won't give you a look in" etc
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Because they have low socioeconomic status same reason as to why working-class whites also don't achieve highly. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7843007.stm Look at this report, white working class students are disadvantaged. They do worse than black students in education. Why are they in lower socioeconomic situations? Because they've been here less + generally come from poorer countries + culture plays a part. Indian working class students do much better than black working class students. Indian culture emphasize on education and the same applies to some black communities e.g. Nigerian, Somalian etc but in general it doesn't apply especially in regards to Black British or Caribbeans.

"The report suggests that the white working classes are losing out in areas from housing to health. '

I totally agree that socioeconomic status is a massive factor in social mobility and getting jobs etc etc. But essentially what I'm saying is it would be silly not to admit that racism/prejudice is not a problem too.
Reply 1084
Original post by JaiiStarh
One of the things which shocked me most about this video is the fact that I showed it to my White housemates and a couple of them did not see what the big deal was. They told me that they hear this kind of thing from friends and family members regularly,perhaps not said in such a vile manner,but they have heard these same points made countless times before. This worries me because I have always assumed that it has always been a small minority of England who share such an uneducated opinion,but the fact that 4 of my housemates said this is nothing new to them and they know many people who do not consider ethnic minorities 'British' even if they were born here.

Unfortunately i'm in a similar situation as your friends, i've heard the kind of stuff that woman has said alot behind closed doors. It's a strange moment when you're talking to someone and they suddenly say something incredibly racist, like refer to someone as p***. I think they assume that if you're white then it's ok to talk like that infront of you. I've had many arguements with family members over their racist attitudes.
Surely that shows that the police are infact fair.

If black people commit more crime than their population suggests they should, it makes sense for the police to search them more and to deny this is to do a massive disservice to the victims of black crime, who more often than not are in fact black.

Do black people commit 26 times more crime than white people? http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/oct/17/stop-and-search-race-figures
Original post by blu tack

I totally agree that socioeconomic status is a massive factor in social mobility and getting jobs etc etc. But essentially what I'm saying is it would be silly not to admit that racism/prejudice is not a problem too.

Haven't provided much evidence. You keep stating it would be silly yet aren't providing evidence.
Original post by SpiritedAway
:rofl:. At work a customer told me he didn't want to be served by a "paki bitch" (meaning me) and told me to go back to my own country. The look on his face when I told him that Scunthorpe wasn't a country :mmm: He was a bit of a lunatic though.

But she is scum, she did get arrested though apparently, so that's something good about the video, that it allowed her to get caught.

What a tit. I didn't think you're Asian anyway, are you?
Either way, what a dope.

I hope it didn't get to you.
And you're right, it's good she was taken in for it although I'm not sure what they could charge her with. Although maybe social services could pay her a visit. She shouldn't be raising a kid with a filthy attitude like that. Hate breeds hate.
Original post by DontJudge
I've already told you, that they get let off after being stopped and searched, does that notspeak volumes to you, just shows it's stupid stereotypes.

What do you mean black crime? It's outrageous that crime is depicted according to someones race.

But black people still commit above average levels of crime.

Erm, you brought up the issue of black people being in prison.

What you need to realise is that the police have limited funds so they need to target their stop-and-search's. If this can prevent black people being victims then it makes sense.
Original post by Smack
Because no one had shown it to me yet?

Did those who had non-English sounding names clearly state on their CVs or application forms that they were fluent in English?

And are you ever going to admit that your check-list was stupid as most of the points are to be expected given that this country is overwhelmingly white?

Oops, got you mixed up...

The non-English names had had a British education and the CV was written in English so it would be fairly obvious. (Would you expect someone with an English name to write that they spoke fluent English on their CV?)

Yep the checklist is not the greatest tool. But it does serve to make you think about underrepresentation of minorities in all sorts of areas/
Okay so why do ethnic minorities under achieve in education? Why don't they want to be MPs? Why do they tend to have lower socioeconomic status?

"under achieve in education" What a lie. I went to a school full of ethnic minorities, and to be quite frank... a plethora of people achieving around 13~5 A*'s (On average 1/2 of my year group - those being traditional subjects including Maths, English, Science's, and French) as under achieving... well?
Many of the whites are from all over Europe right?

NO. Reread my post. 46.9% are White British.
Do black people commit 26 times more crime than white people? http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/oct/17/stop-and-search-race-figures

The police make mistakes and that does seem disproportionate, but if they didn't search them at all people would complain they don't care.
But black people still commit above average levels of crime.

Erm, you brought up the issue of black people being in prison.

What you need to realise is that the police have limited funds so they need to target their stop-and-search's. If this can prevent black people being victims then it makes sense.

Really? Where is your evidence to back up such a comment? Or are you just assuming another stereotype?
Original post by erniiee
NO. Reread my post. 46.9% are White British.

It's still minority white British then.
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Haven't provided much evidence. You keep stating it would be silly yet aren't providing evidence.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/oct/18/racism-discrimination-employment-undercover
Reply 1096
Original post by DontJudge
Guessing immigrations officer.

Haha!Thinks she's still at work..
Original post by erniiee
Really? Where is your evidence to back up such a comment? Or are you just assuming another stereotype?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/7856404/Police-statistics-shed-fresh-light-on-link-between-crime-and-race.html

:rolleyes:
Original post by Lol_Fish
"under achieve in education" What a lie. I went to a school full of ethnic minorities, and to be quite frank... a plethora of people achieving around 13~5 A*'s (On average 1/2 of my year group - those being traditional subjects including Maths, English, Science's, and French) as under achieving... well?

Annoying Mouse made that claim, not me.
I think its funny. That coloured woman who clearly is not British claims that she is British. That's what really annoys me -_-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending