The Student Room Group

Racism on the Tram!!! Appalling!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PendulumBoB
It's still minority white British then.

But there are many other races/ethnic groups..it shouldn't even matter if White British are in the minority.

If it did, then what would we start saying about Australia and how the natives of aboriginal descent are in the minority?
Original post by PendulumBoB
The police make mistakes and that does seem disproportionate, but if they didn't search them at all people would complain they don't care.

if you admit that it's disproportionate, how can you defend it?
Original post by Trapped
The little boy she is holding onto for dear life saved her, saved her i tell you :wink: otherwise she would have been slapped up xD

Ignorant woman >.<

Of course she would have .she's a white women.that's what blacks and pakis do when a white woman offends you.
Either that or rape them.

Well you clearly haven't read the article properly.

You need to find some actual evidence to back up your claims, and beside that, what is your actual point? :tongue: At the moment I'm just pointing out what you've said that is assumption rather than truth.

"54 per cent of the street crimes committed by men in London, along with 46 per cent of the knife crimes and more than half of the gun crimes, are thought by the Metropolitan Police to have been committed by black men.
Or at least, the police “proceed against” black men in those proportions for each of those crimes.
Crime statistics have to be approached with extreme caution, because it is very easy to leap to conclusions which are not justified by the figures.
"

Exactly as you have just done.
Original post by blu tack
Annoying Mouse made that claim, not me.

Ah : P Was skipping posts. :colondollar:
Reply 1105
Original post by Dansk
Im moving out of this country.

What! You are emigrating because of this Youtube video?

I think it's more subconscious than conscious, to be honest. Give me 10 applicants with similar experience and 1 from my ethnic background and I'm likely to pick him. Ethnic run business also tend to discriminate. What would have been interesting was to make the ethnic ones have better qualifications/more relevant work experience and then see.
The non-English names had had a British education and the CV was written in English so it would be fairly obvious. (Would you expect someone with an English name to write that they spoke fluent English on their CV?)

Not at all. Poor English is something that is often complained about by employers nowadays so some are getting more demanding by asking for proof (e.g. IELTS) from non native English speakers and asking for quite high English grades for those who are.

Yep the checklist is not the greatest tool. But it does serve to make you think about underrepresentation of minorities in all sorts of areas/

But I expect that minorities are under-represented because they are more likely to be amongst the lower social classes. Whites from working class backgrounds are also under represented in many positions of society.

The issue here is primarily class, not race. I am not saying that there is no racism in this country. What I am saying is that most of the discrimination faced by minorities is based on where they fit into the class system, and is shared by whites.
Original post by Lol_Fish
"under achieve in education" What a lie. I went to a school full of ethnic minorities, and to be quite frank... a plethora of people achieving around 13~5 A*'s (On average 1/2 of my year group - those being traditional subjects including Maths, English, Science's, and French) as under achieving... well?

That's your personal experience, that doesn't counter evidence from studies. I think it was only Indians that beat whites in terms of 5-A*-C gcse achievement.
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
I think it's more subconscious than conscious, to be honest. Give me 10 applicants with similar experience and 1 from my ethnic background and I'm likely to pick him. Ethnic run business also tend to discriminate. What would have been interesting was to make the ethnic ones have better qualifications/more relevant work experience and then see.

Even if it's subconcious (agreed, a lot of it probably is), you must admit now that this is evidence of white privilege?
Original post by Taivaallinen
Therefore, you are Indian - not British.

Nope. And who the hell are you to tell me what I am and I'm not? Moron.
(edited 12 years ago)

Even if it's subconcious (agreed, a lot of it probably is), you must admit now that this is evidence of white privilege?

Yeah, it's an example of white privilege. But, it can be easily overturned by having a British name which most black British people do.
Original post by Smack
Not at all. Poor English is something that is often complained about by employers nowadays so some are getting more demanding by asking for proof (e.g. IELTS) from non native English speakers and asking for quite high English grades for those who are.

But I expect that minorities are under-represented because they are more likely to be amongst the lower social classes. Whites from working class backgrounds are also under represented in many positions of society.

The issue here is primarily class, not race. I am not saying that there is no racism in this country. What I am saying is that most of the discrimination faced by minorities is based on where they fit into the class system, and is shared by whites.

Who says they were non-native English speakers?

Also- prove it. Prove that 'most of the discrimination faced by minorities is based on where they fit into the class system, and is shared by whites'. It'd be nice if someone else provided evidence to back up their claims.

I don't disagree that class is a big deal, but to say that racism isn't a big deal too is just plain wrong.
Reply 1113
That's your personal experience, that doesn't counter evidence from studies. I think it was only Indians that beat whites in terms of 5-A*-C gcse achievement.

And the Chinese apparently.
Reply 1114
Original post by Dubliner
What! You are emigrating because of this Youtube video?

Not only off course. I think I might have put england on a piedestal to be honest.
Quality of life in scandinavia is much much higher not to mention free education. I wasted time coming to the UK.
Yeah, it's an example of white privilege. But, it can be easily overturned by having a British name which most black British people do.

Seriously?
So then what happens when they walk into the interview room and the employer can see that they're black?

Indians are a form of Asians, which are a form of ethnic minorities.Your so called "statement" remains inconclusive.
Reply 1117
Original post by Dansk
Not only off course. I think I might have put england on a piedestal to be honest.
Quality of life in scandinavia is much much higher not to mention free education. I wasted time coming to the UK.

Oh right. Did you move to the UK from Scandinavia then?

Seriously?
So then what happens when they walk into the interview room and the employer can see that they're black?

Nothing, a little shock or no shock most likely if they have interviewed black people before. They then get judged at their interview performance. With interviews it's literally impossible to be equal hence it's unlikely that they'd weight between ethnic minority versus a white person.

Original post by Lol_Fish
Indians are a form of Asians, which are a form of ethnic minorities.Your so called &quot;statement&quot; remains inconclusive.

They are one form. Blacks which tend to dominate in terms of number plus Pakistanis still do worse hence it isn't.
Nothing, a little shock or no shock most likely if they have interviewed black people before. They then get judged at their interview performance. With interviews it's literally impossible to be equal hence it's unlikely that they'd weight between ethnic minority versus a white person.

I'm not saying they'd be shocked.. I'm saying their subconcious wish to hire people like themselves (you admitted this exists) might come through and then, unlucky black guy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending