The Student Room Group

Are people over-reacting to the tram lady?

Scroll to see replies

Over reacting? Are you joking? This woman is almost as bad as that woman who put a cat in a bin.
People are right to be outraged by her comments, but she shouldn't have been arrested for voicing her opinion.
Original post by chickenonsteroids
don't take YouTube comments seriously ... people were telling Rebecca black to die too
This.

In addition, mainstream society is not as desensitised to racism as frequent Internet users are.
Original post by hypercaine.
Would rather the police were looking for rapists and murderers then some woman who shouted a few insults on a tram or train or whatever it was.

I'd rather the police did both. Upholding all laws of the land, and not giving up on some to maintain others.
Original post by Michael Locke
People are right to be outraged by her comments, but she shouldn't have been arrested for voicing her opinion.

Disagree. If she had ben having a rational private conversation with a friend on the tram where she was overheard expressing some of those opinions that would be different.
In this case she was simply abusing people.
Reply 85
Unfortunately.... People are still VERY racist. Whether they show it or not due to society is a different matter.
Reply 86
Original post by Akuma
Over reacting? Are you joking? This woman is almost as bad as that woman who put a cat in a bin.

This woman is worse than*
Original post by Tannu123
This woman is worse than*

Cat bin woman was worse. If this woman had put ethnic minorities in a bin that wouldve been worse. If the cat bin woman had said that nasty things tabby cats that wouldnt've been so bad as putting one in a bin.
I don't see the point in classifying anything as 'racial hatred'. You're either bullying someone/abusing someone or you aren't. Why does the law care about the motivation? If they cared about motivation then every murder case committed due to retaliation would be either dropped or the charge be downgraded. It's stupid.

Also, she had balls, anyone could've taken her child off her and beat the **** out of her. It's not like she was in a gang against kids like in This Is England.
Heres a moral dilemma. If the ethnic minorities had put her in a bin, would that be better or worse than putting a cat in a bin?
Original post by Akuma
Heres a moral dilemma. If the ethnic minorities had put her in a bin, would that be better or worse than putting a cat in a bin?

Bin men would complain and would go on strike.
Yea it's just one racist nutjob probably drunk not indicative of wider social views of immigration. I feel sorry for her kid more than anything, he shouldn't grow up with these ignorant views but she's probably not a bad mother; and now he probably in care. Both of them have and will be failed by the state.
Original post by Jamie
Actually many people simply think racism is disgusting.
That woman is a pitiful specimen of humanity. Shouting her bile at random strangers with that poor child on her lap.

I'd be amazed if she turned out to be a taxpayer.

It annoys me when people get offended on the behalf of others, how is she any worse than hard criminals? the effects of words wash off easily but somehow we've been indoctrinatated to think verbal racism is on a par with serious violent crime, which of course it isn't. if I was racially abused, I wouldn't care one bit.

This woman's tirade was very distasteful but I'm more annoyed about the complete over-reaction that only people in the UK can cultivate.

Oh and if she buys food, cigarettes clothing etc she will be a tax payer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 93
Yeah there's loads of videos of people being batty on public transport why does some random woman get all the attention
Reply 94
Original post by theths
How exactly does recognizing the benefits of immigration make one unpatriotic? i'm sure there are plenty of people who see themselves of english and are proud of it that would be deeply offended by your comment
and FYI, these so called "invaders" didn't exactly trample down the border lines, they were invited it by the government.

well now that you mention it, i personally don;t believe in my identity being shaped in something as arbitrary as where i was born, but i'm sure a lot of people don't feel this way, which is fair enough
so i'm just going to say this - what makes someone english? what makes you think that people who may be brown or black and have lived in this country for 50-odd years and have contributed their taxes just like some (most definitely NOT all of the english, seeing as you seem to be so picky about that) don't have the right to call themselves english if they so please?
what takes away the right of a more recent immigrant to call themselves english for that matter?
like i said, go far enough back and nobody's english at all, really.

Neither are there any Indians then, I guess. Amirite?
Reply 95
Dude, what the **** is wrong with you?! :angry:
Seriously, you dumb, ignorant ****ing ****. Read what you wrote again. ****ing seriously?!
Actually I think outing racists in this way is a good way of combating them
Reply 97
I really don't see why people care so much. She was an ignorant bigoted troglodite. So why even give her the time of day? I've heard people make similar rants to this before while in public, and most seem to brush them of as the ignorant comments they are. So I'll be honest I don't see what the big deal with her rant was. Are we not all grown up enough just to ignore her comments as the baseless ignorant ramblings that they are?
Reply 98
Original post by Snagprophet
I don't see the point in classifying anything as 'racial hatred'. You're either bullying someone/abusing someone or you aren't. Why does the law care about the motivation? If they cared about motivation then every murder case committed due to retaliation would be either dropped or the charge be downgraded. It's stupid.

Also, she had balls, anyone could've taken her child off her and beat the **** out of her. It's not like she was in a gang against kids like in This Is England.

Not exactly a good way of clarifying a point when there are certain degrees of murder. E.g. it being a crime of passion is considered less severe than when murder is premeditated.
Original post by TheFoxBlip

Oh and if she buys food, cigarettes clothing etc she will be a tax payer.

Not sure about the rest of your post, but this is a good point. People bang on about other people on benefits etc. "not paying tax" which is wrong. They ignore the fact that everything that person buys and subscribes to carries a tax.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending