The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5480
Original post by FDR
Congrats!

I'm not applying to Bristol myself, but couldn't help notice that nearly all the offers include AA in C3+C4. does this mean you have to have achieved AA in C1+C2? does it also mean that even if you achieve an A grade overall (e.g you got a B in C4, but the A in S1 or M1 made up for it) you wouldn't meet your offer?

Yeah I did get an A in C1 and C2, and I think they really want you to meet that offer, but I guess they could be less strict if you are one or two UMS off an A ? I don't know, but its time I get a move on and crack on with some work :biggrin:
Reply 5481
Got an offer at Royal Holloway!! Happpppy! :smile:
Reply 5482
Original post by WalkerPrince
:smile:

Did you apply to Oxford or Cambridge? And if so which college? :smile:
Original post by FDR
Congrats!

I'm not applying to Bristol myself, but couldn't help notice that nearly all the offers include AA in C3+C4. does this mean you have to have achieved AA in C1+C2? does it also mean that even if you achieve an A grade overall (e.g you got a B in C4, but the A in S1 or M1 made up for it) you wouldn't meet your offer?

If AA in C3/C4 is the condition of your offer, you must meet it. It's a very mathematical course, if you cant get AA in C3/C4...

However, when Confirmation comes they might decide to still offer you a place but a) I wouldnt count on and b)I would aim to meet the offer regardless.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5484
Original post by yash121
Got an offer at Royal Holloway!! Happpppy! :smile:

Well done! :biggrin:
Reply 5485
Original post by -Illmatic-
If AA in C3/C4 is the condition of your offer, you must meet it. It's a very mathematical course, if you cant get AA in C3/C4...

However, when Confirmation comes they might decide to still offer you a place but a) I wouldnt count on and b)I would aim to meet the offer regardless.

OK, I know I came across as a bit of an idiot when asking, I was just surprised as I've not seen offers such as Bristol's where grades in particular modules are specified. I find it surprising that M1,S1 and D1 are not considered as well as C3/C4.

I think it's a good idea on Bristol's behalf; it makes it clearer to applicants whether they have a realistic shot or not, whereas at other universities, they may reject an applicant who has B's in C1 or C2 even though this isn't stated in the entry requirements.
Original post by FDR
OK, I know I came across as a bit of an idiot when asking, I was just surprised as I've not seen offers such as Bristol's where grades in particular modules are specified. I find it surprising that M1,S1 and D1 are not considered as well as C3/C4.

I think it's a good idea on Bristol's behalf; it makes it clearer to applicants whether they have a realistic shot or not, whereas at other universities, they may reject an applicant who has B's in C1 or C2 even though this isn't stated in the entry requirements.

No worries xD

Well if you can get As in C3/C4, you'll probably cope with the maths content, hence the conditions :smile:

Thats true!
Reply 5487
Original post by FDR

I think it is important that you understand core theory, and hence get As in C3 and C4 as it is easier to build on other skills from this, and the skills you learn in this like trigonometry, differentiation, integration etc. are often used in an applied way in the applied modules, where the assumption is that you already understand that basic method to the level you are at. For example if someone got low Bs in C3 and C4 and a high A in M1 and managed to come out with an A, it is more unlikely they are going to cope well with the maths in an economics degree than someone who got As throughout the core modules :smile:
Reply 5488
I have offers from:
Sussex-AAB
Royal Holloway-ABB
Essex-ABB
Waiting for
Queen Mary and Oxford

:rolleyes:

anyone else got Queen mary or ox?
Reply 5489
Original post by zxh800

Original post by zxh800
I'm afraid I haven't got a clue. Wrt to his grades, they were pretty good. 6A* at GCSE, A* in A-level Maths and As in three other AS (one being CT).

What were the other AS's if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 5490
Original post by Tateco
Well done! :biggrin:

Thank you!!! :biggrin:
Hoping admission tutors aren't on strike..
Reply 5492
Nottingham are giving out offers? :shock:
Original post by funkydee
Hoping admission tutors aren't on strike..

The ATL are on strike, so at least some admissions tutors will be. At least you don't have to worry for today!
Reply 5494
Original post by Kravez
What were the other AS's if you don't mind me asking?

History and Economics.
Reply 5495
Original post by zxh800

Original post by zxh800
History and Economics.

I see. He didn't do Further Maths then I assume. Was his offer A*AAe?

(A* Maths, A History, A Economics)

I plan to apply for the same course next year although i'm afraid my medicore GCSE's will harm my application.

As for A-Levels my grades will be: A* Maths, A Economics, A Psychology, a English Literature.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5496
Original post by Kravez
I see. He didn't do Further Maths then I assume. Was his offer A*AAe?

(A* Maths, A History, A Economics)

Yea, he's doing FM this year. His offer was simply A*AA (no e).
Reply 5497
Original post by zxh800

Original post by zxh800
Yea, he's doing FM this year. His offer was simply A*AA (no e).

I see. Is he doing the whole FM this year or just the AS?
Reply 5498
Original post by Kravez
I see. Is he doing the whole FM this year or just the AS?

Whole FM this year.
Reply 5499
Original post by zxh800

Original post by zxh800
Whole FM this year.

You got any offers yet? Apart from Cambridge

Latest

Trending

Trending